Quick Question

swvasportscommenter

You can be a bit more creative........

You offer up the same drivel just worded differently everytime you post...but, hey I'll give you credit...no quit in that one track mind.    Did you wear a helmet when you played...you do know that was one of the requirements back in your day...right????   ;) 

Had to wear one when they could get it on me.  Had to drive it on with a hammer, never needed a chin strap though.

Hmmm...'splains it all.  You've morphed into the John Wayne persona...well, fella, here's one of his quotes you need to mull over tonight,,,

"Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much."   ;)

Hmmm...'splains it all.  You've morphed into the John Wayne persona...well, fella, here's one of his quotes you need to mull over tonight,,,

"Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much."   ;)

Food for thought with your late night snack....and I know you're having one!

“A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job.†–John Wayne

G---------  go to work thinking nothing to read tonight and this board explodes.    Thinking we are headed into the winter dead mode.

What happen?  Could it be the full moon sure sounds like the fangs came out.  Or is there somebody talking about transferring that some don't know about?

Liberty is 26 miles form Appomattox- Hampton Sydney 32 miles  I'm sure you have people commuting back and forth to work.

Same time these schools get out and look at the locals.  Couple years back read something about Hampton coaches on Brookville sidelines in playoff.

I want to know what Belfry's secret is .  270-300 pound D-1, D-2 lineman all across the front, not one or two.  Can't be all home grown.

4 state champions in a row. Dang. if you don't think it  doesn't go on in many places you are a tree in the deep forest. 

One needs to go back and look at the teams these guys leave this will give you more answers than any.  1-9 teams 5-5 teams,  some teams that have talent that they know they will be playing behind, even thou they are the elder. Or teams that don't run the type O they want to be in. 

It is more about being a part of a winning program.

Harris who transferred to Tazewell.... and did quite well, I might add. Taymon Cooke averaged nearly 30 yards a carry, he may have been capable, I would think.... He had a sprained ankle in the last game of the season, hated that for him. He didn't whine about it, played hurt and did the best he could.

Graham lost as many to transfer as they got....

Yes they did lose a couple. I recall someone saying Booker wouldnt have seen the field much at Graham anyway. From what ive seen he may have been their 2nd best WR if he was still there.

Yes they did lose a couple. I recall someone saying Booker wouldnt have seen the field much at Graham anyway. From what ive seen he may have been their 2nd best WR if he was still there.

Booker would've been a big help in my opinion. I really don't know all the particulars of why he moved. I personally hated to see him go.

Devon Johnson is the only recent one.........The original transfer...Jeremy McCommons..ended up playing LB at JMU

I believe he transferred from Pennsylvania if I am not mistaken. I also believe his brother transferred to Illinois.

I want to know what Belfry's secret is .  270-300 pound D-1, D-2 lineman all across the front, not one or two.  Can't be all home grown.

4 state champions in a row. Dang. if you don't think it  doesn't go on in many places you are a tree in the deep forest. 

One needs to go back and look at the teams these guys leave this will give you more answers than any.  1-9 teams 5-5 teams,  some teams that have talent that they know they will be playing behind, even thou they are the elder. Or teams that don't run the type O they want to be in. 

It is more about being a part of a winning program.

Belfry does get transfers from other schools in Pike Co. and Mingo Co. but how many and how often....I cant tell you. I do know that Phelps got some of their kids back from Belfry and Pike Central this past season when the field was finally finished after 5 or 6 years with no homefield. The line Belfry has had the last 4 years are home grown kids. I have been hearing about them from my family in Pike Co. since those hosses were young. Belfrys success isn't just in the last 4 years. Coach Haywood has won 417 games at Belfry and Prestonsburg. I think he won around 80-90 games at Prestonsburg. Belfry has been in 12 KY state title games since 1985 and they are 6-6 in title games.

I have been a poster on this board since 2007 and have, for the most part, enjoyed the posts. Seeing today what is being posted by members on this thread, that are so inflammatory and over the top, I am very disheartened by it. I know personally, when Graham took the shellacking at Gate City two years ago, myself and other Richlands posters said you would come back and become a good team, just a matter of time. Well they have and I for one rooted proudly for them. I rooted for Marion when they played the Falcons and were the underdog a couple of years ago. I have been a staunch supporter of the Dawgs in football. Several I have known--one I lost in 2010 to cancer. TJ was like a grandson to me. That was so hard. I was there on that cold snowy day at Tazewell, in the playoffs. I was cheering for my Blues, but when "my buddy" (that is what I called him), kicked or got the ball, I was rooting for him. I was there in 1986 when Tazewell played for the state championship, rooting for the Dawgs. In 2006 when my Blues were playing for the championship, I was there. In the fourth qtr, I got up from my seat, away from the crowd, went and stood by myself to pray. God wasn't a Blue Tornado, but he heard the prayers that were being lifted on their behalf.

I see with my heart Tazewell County as a whole--not the different schools or communities. I want all to do well. I do not want envy or jealousy toward anyone. Some of you that have posted harsh words today, I will be honest, anger has risen, but I will not let it make me bitter. Bitterness does more harm to the one it controls, then the one it is directed towards.

I will close with this scripture which I think is the summation of it all.

Proverbs 24:17---"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles."

What about '89, '95, and '01??? You failed to mention rooting for that Tazewell County school...just sayin'...

Richlands does not recruit. Its not recruiting when kids see a program winning and those kids are sick of losing. Kids want to be winners and want to play at places that win, which gives these kids the best chances to play at the next level

And a bear don't shit in the woods either!

Other than the Johnson kid, who has it help play at the next level? Yall talk like everyone leaves Richlands with a D1 ride... Tazewell and Graham are sending just as many kids to E&H as Richlands.

I think that transfers can provide some "instant gratification" at times, especially at the high school level, but the long term effects can become detrimental. Gate City had a few players transfer from Lee Co. and provided a spark for a few years but the damage done nearly ripped the community apart, boosters withdrew their support and your alums quit supporting the team and long time fans quit showing up for games. The toxic culture at GC will fix itself in time, but the continued use of transfers weakens your program and disenchants your "home town" players and fans, the coaches love it and it becomes like "crack" to them and they just can't stop asking players to come. If you are going down this path you better win and win big because the transfers will stop one day and you will looking at the long hard road to respectability just like GC is right now. Someone made the comment about DB bring in anyone other than D1 talent well you don't have to worry about that they don't take any player who isn't at least a four star player. The Redwine kid at QB will be their next star and VT is already scouting him and he isn't even the starter yet. I don't have my head buried in the sand on this topic every successful program get's players who transfer. How many Union players come from Lee County. Gate City use to get a few every so often from Tennessee but not so much any more. Just my two cents on the topic.

My $.02 worth.....I used to let the Richlands transfer thing bother me. Then Abingdon beat them and my son graduated...now I don't care.

Look, if kids want to transfer anywhere, it's because the team is well coached and has a winning tradition. They wouldn't have that winning tradition if not for good coaching. Mance didn't start coaching at Richlands and suddenly 7 kids transferred in his first year. The man can coach, the team starts winning a lot, kids want to go there.

What I find silly is that people put so much into winning a high school championship. That life is over at 18 or 22 if you play college ball. What percentage of kids that play high school football actually play college ball...with a full ride? Very very low percentage. How about we raise kids with morals, determination to work hard at what ever you do, raise a God fearing family, and leave the world a better place while you're here. Trust me, I know the value in being part of a winning team, but there's also a ton of value in just being a teammate.

Transfer shmansfer......just be a kid while you can because once the bills start coming in the collector doesn't care if you played for Richlands or Mother Mary's school for the Blind and Limbless.

The more you know....(now back to your regularly scheduled program)

....How many Union players come from Lee County....

If you are asking how many from Lee Co go to Union that have been enrolled since primary school, then several. The section of Lee Co on US 23 between BSG and Duffield is less than 10 minutes from Union and its feeder schools and 40 minutes from Lee High. And the section between BSG and Dryden is 10-15 minutes closer to BSG than Lee HS. Not sure what that equates to by bus.

As for kids that show up between grades 9-12. I'm not personally aware of any from Lee, and I can only think of 3-4 transfers total from other schools in 6 years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

In large metro areas...you can travel 10/15 miles and you're in another high school attendance zone.

Pretty sure you can do that in some rural areas.  In metro areas, you might only have to travel a mile or so to be in a different school district...look at googlemaps, type in 'high school', and then zoom in on NOVA or Tidewater.