Gate City ...Why not State Champs this year?

Hokie777

The name of this post is ludicrous. Just because this Gate City may have two big prospects doesn't mean they are going to win state. Do you even realize how hard it is to do that? Do you know how much luck it takes? Sounds to me like people in Gate City take winning for granted and place way too high expectations on their athletes. Winning state is a great goal but just because people think they have God's gifts to basketball doesn't mean they will win state.

Some friends of mine from down in the southwest part of the state says Gate City's fans barely cheer for anything. Up here in NoVa I went to a basketball game with a friend from Tech. His team got a rim rattler on a fast break and the fans went nuts! My friends say that the two big hoop stars for Gate City get two to three dunks a game and you would think you were at a funeral! They were actually afraid to yell the crowd was so quiet. Is this really true? Are Gate City fans this bad? I know high schools, especially my friends at Radford, we would go nuts when our guys would even be able to get a dunk. Our battles with Wythe and their soldiers are EPIC! Sounds like Gate City doesn't have any soldiers. Only a bunch of armchair wannabees. Glad I went to a school with real fans who had real opponents who went nuts for their school.

#GoCats!

Your "friend," if this isn't all made up as some form of trolling, is wrong. I was at the Richlands/GC playoff game last year. Atmosphere was electric. Maybe don't comment on a fan base/team that you've never seen.

Your "friend," if this isn't all made up as some form of trolling, is wrong. I was at the Richlands/GC playoff game last year. Atmosphere was electric. Maybe don't comment on a fan base/team that you've never seen.

Definitely a troll. I would about bet this person is not from the Roanoke area like they said they are.

The name of this post is ludicrous. Just because this Gate City may have two big prospects doesn't mean they are going to win state. Do you even realize how hard it is to do that? Do you know how much luck it takes? Sounds to me like people in Gate City take winning for granted and place way too high expectations on their athletes. Winning state is a great goal but just because people think they have God's gifts to basketball doesn't mean they will win state.

Some friends of mine from down in the southwest part of the state says Gate City's fans barely cheer for anything. Up here in NoVa I went to a basketball game with a friend from Tech. His team got a rim rattler on a fast break and the fans went nuts! My friends say that the two big hoop stars for Gate City get two to three dunks a game and you would think you were at a funeral! They were actually afraid to yell the crowd was so quiet. Is this really true? Are Gate City fans this bad? I know high schools, especially my friends at Radford, we would go nuts when our guys would even be able to get a dunk. Our battles with Wythe and their soldiers are EPIC! Sounds like Gate City doesn't have any soldiers. Only a bunch of armchair wannabees. Glad I went to a school with real fans who had real opponents who went nuts for their school.

#GoCats!

Wow! What kind of synthetic weed you guys smoke up there! Millions of brain cells destroyed is not good! Get help fast!

Funny how the holdback issue is never brought up when teams are down.

That's probably because Gate City doesn't have any on the team when their down...even the playing field and they can't win...

Wow... I missed some entertaining conversation on the board over the last two days when GMan accidentally brought the hammer down on the web developer of swvasports.  Good times!

Anyways, anyone who says Gate City don't have a crowd wasn't in Viking Hall when they took the lead against Wings in the 4th quarter.  That place was going NUTS!

I can't find the comment at the moment, but someone commented along the lines of - teams everywhere hold people back all the time.  That's not the exact quote, but you get the gist.  The idea is to have the student repeat the 7th or 8th grade, right?   If that's the case, I don't think I've ever heard of a holdback here in the southside region.  I mean, I'm sure it has happened, but I'm just not aware of any cases.  Further, is it even a true state to say "everyone in SWVA does it from time to time"?  GMan seems pretty adamant that it isn't happening in Bluefield, Va. 

After seeing Ervin in person a year ago in Richmond, I made the statement to someone that this guy can't be just a freshman.  So now I assume that I was right.  He should actually have been a sophomore and now a junior? 

I can't find the comment at the moment, but someone commented along the lines of - teams everywhere hold people back all the time.  That's not the exact quote, but you get the gist.  The idea is to have the student repeat the 7th or 8th grade, right?   If that's the case, I don't think I've ever heard of a holdback here in the southside region.  I mean, I'm sure it has happened, but I'm just not aware of any cases.  Further, is it even a true state to say "everyone in SWVA does it from time to time"?  GMan seems pretty adamant that it isn't happening in Bluefield, Va. 

After seeing Ervin in person a year ago in Richmond, I made the statement to someone that this guy can't be just a freshman.  So now I assume that I was right.  He should actually have been a sophomore and now a junior? 

That's what they call "The Gate City Way"...

Gate City may win the State this year but there are some really good teams in the East.  The state does extend past Roanoke. 

I have seen East Rockingham play 4 times, Madison County 3 times and RE Lee 2 times.  2 of these teams are solid from top to bottom; play good team defense; are disciplined and well balanced.  When Rogers returns for ER, they will be even tougher.  They were leading Spotswood by 10 when he went down with an ankle injury.  Ending up losing that game by 5 I think.  Madison beat them at their place by 10 or so and ER returned the favor at their place by about the same.  Madison is 10-1 or so with wins over 3,4 and 5A schools.  They have played without their big post player so far but he is expected to return after the semester. 

RE Lee is really good as well.  Their lack of discipline will be their Achilles Heel.   The top of 2A basketball is pretty good comparably speaking.  Maybe not as deep as some years past but the good teams are really good.    

P.S.:  For what it is worth...After exhaustive research, none of the Valley teams utilize the "hold back" practice either. 

Unfortunately it does happen in Bluefield, Va.  I believe there was probably 3 or 4 on the football team this year, that I know of.  I do not know the reasons why they were held back but I'm sure it was in the name of "He'll stand a better chance of going D1". The Tazewell MS program from my understanding is going to hold back the offensive line this year.  It's out of control but what do you do? 

I can see that in my absence, the marauding throng from Gate City have set siege on this board after devouring their own.  I would normally be a bit apprehensive about this incursion but I doubt the GC faithful have met such a stout foe as the Hammer. 

When asked about hold backs, folks up here in the Valley will look at you with a most puzzling expression.  When explained, most just roll their eyes.  The only thing comparable is the practice of reclassifying when public school students transfer to private schools, usually in the 9th grade. These students repeat the 9th grade in the private school.   There does not appear to be an equivalent in the public schools here in the Valley or in the BRD.

I will say this about the GC defense of their hold back practice...thin skin is usually the result of a guilty conscious.  I personally could not care less about hold backs, throw backs, wet backs (well, maybe), green backs (yeah right), etc.  Why so indignant when it is brought up?  If it is legal, go for it. 

On a side note: Yes. Yes I am quite impressive Great City.  Thank you for noting.  I am also humble and unassuming. 

I don't mind kids holding back. I probably wouldn't want my kids to do it....But if they were an exceptional athlete and wanted to do it and endure an extra grueling year of high school I guess I'd leave it up to them. However, I don't have any children right now so its hard to say how I would feel if I had children. But if it's legal....Go for it.

Not sure I would have allowed my oldest daughter to hold back. She was part of two, tennis, state championship teams. Holding back could have given her a third, but on the grand scheme of things, how important is that?

My youngest daughter is still at GC. So far she has also been a part of two, tennis, state championship teams. Too late for her to hold back now, but again, do not see how it would have benefited her.

MAYBE if had a child who was on the cusp of a Division I scholarship (but not sure I would be able to tell that in 8th grade) I would consider letting him/her hold back. That scholarship is worth many thousands of dollars.

Parents these days do a lot to try and help their kids achieve athletically. Travel and AAU teams, private coaches, private camps, weekends spent out of the area at tournaments, etc....         Just not really sure it is worth it for the vast majority of kids.  

I thought this thread was about basketball and who has a chance to make it to Richmond.  I don't get to see the SWVA teams anymore (I did get down to the Arby's Classic for one session while visiting family--GC was not playing).  Who has the kahonies in SWVA besides GC? 

How is Graham?  I thought they would be strong this year.  Has R-lands Dream Team ever really developed as oft predicted?  Union any good?  I need to catch up and I am way tooo lazy to go back read through all the previous threads! 

Regardless of who gets there, it's going to be a different world. The ticky tack stuff that is called in games in SWVA and NET aren't called when you get to Richmond and Murfreesboro. If our free throw shooting and rebounding doesn't improve, we won't have to worry about it.

#1 Gate City - Looking through my blue tinted glasses, GC is the top dog in SWVA with the likes of McClung and Ervin leading the team. Very explosive offensively and have played much better on the defense side of the court as of late. With that being said, the Devils foul shooting has straight plummented.

#2 Richlands - I have watched the self proclaimed "Dream Team" play and they are solid if they can hit the deep ball. They might rely on it too much, which will be a nightmare instead of a dream. With that said, Richlands only beat a 3 win Abingdon team by 12 last night. You have to put subpar opponents away. If you fail to put subpar teams away, once you play someone good, they'll beat you down the stretch.

#3 Union - Union has the consistency of a can Hormel chili, and can't decide if they want to be pretenders or contenders. But they have the talent to put it all together before tourney time and make a run. They have showed signs of great basketball, such as the game vs Sullivan East. No doubt that next Friday Union will bring the town and give Gate City their best shot. (Might be a game worth coming to the Devils' Den to watch for all you outsiders.)

#4 Graham - Graham is 0-1 vs teams that are not of the JV caliber. Bluefield thumped em by 24 as their lone loss. But Graham is beating the ever living dog crap out of District foes such as Tazewell and Bland (JV caliber teams). We'll know more about Graham when they play Richlands. Put them at #4 behind Union because they have played a cupcake schedule and have yet to beat anyone of importance.

Everyone else is pretty much not worth mentioning.

Bad news at Mavahi for the Dogs. In the last several weeks the Dogs lost a key sub when his family moved to Atlanta and they lost 1 starter and a sub to grades. Depth has taken a big hit. Tommorow they have Patrick and Sat they play Magna Vista so we will see how they adjust. But next week they have Franklin Co on Tuesday then GW-Danville Friday then travel to Lexington on Sat to play RE-Lee of Staunton. Pretty tough stretch without much depth

Hopefully for the Dogs sake the starter they lost didnt have a last name that started with a "Z" or an "M". Still a starter and 2 subs is a tough blow no matter who they were or how you slice it. They will know how they stack up without those guys in the next 2 weeks.

The starter was actually the 6th man from last year's team. Very tough player to replace because of his length and athleticism. I guess the good news is that he's been out for 3 or 4 games now already while his situation was getting settled. The Dogs beat a very good Radford squad at RU without him. Time will tell how the other guys step up. We have 2 very winnable games tonight and tomorrow to try and continue to gel this group together.

Hate to relive bad memories for the Gate folks, but the starter that MHS lost is the fella you probably remember the most as throwing down a thunderous breakaway dunk in the 3rd quarter of the state semis last year.