Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

I ran some numbers last night and came up with these, I used the 2016 ADM numbers: Buchanan County has 915 students in 4 high schools, Wise County has 2000 in three high schools, Tazewell County has around 1800 in three high schools, Russell County has 1100 in three high schools, Scott County has 1100 in three high schools, Washington County has 1329 (JSB, PH, Holston) Abingdon has 886. If you split Wise County and Tazewell in just two high school, Wise would have two 1000 student schools and Tazewell would have two 900 student schools. This what is could look like in SW Va. Football by 2030.

15 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

For each classification how are the numbers broken down?

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-March-31-2016-ADM-numbers-by-classification1.pdf

Riverheads must have something significant on someone at VHSL.  According to VADOE records, they have never been below the magic number of 475 for 1A.

http://www.pen.k12.va.us/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

Houseright almost drained the life out of the Gate City program, and when Collier was bought in it destroyed support from the community as well as financial support. Coach Akers has a lot of work to do just to build that trust back up. I do not envy him in that task! In the facilities department the school is way behind and has no plans I know of to improve any time soon.

I knew things were bad but did not realize it was this bad until a few days ago. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Would actually be 5A, which would be even worse.  At least 4A schools have Pulaski and Carroll, and at least 6A has Franklin...

Even more reason why it won't happen. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I knew things were bad but did not realize it was this bad until a few days ago. 

I didn't understand the magnitude of the decay until about mid-way through last season. GC has prominent boosters who have contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars who haven't been to games in years. That is the problem and until they become interested again it is going to be just like it is now.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Kill it... kill it with fire I say!  Lol

I hope you get the people out first, but letting it go away would be just fine. Davenport, Va. isn't big enough for a post office let a lone a high school.

4 hours ago, SXSW said:

Houseright almost drained the life out of the Gate City program, and when Collier was bought in it destroyed support from the community as well as financial support. Coach Akers has a lot of work to do just to build that trust back up. I do not envy him in that task! In the facilities department the school is way behind and has no plans I know of to improve any time soon.

OMG!  You are smoking crack.  Obviously you are out of touch from reality.  I personally know a few of the high dollar supporters and coaching is not their beef.  Use to you had a school board and superintendent who would ask what the football program needed.  Now they destroy a program because of their personal agendas.   Houseright probably didn't play your daughter enough on the basketball court too.  You got what you asked for now sit back this year and continue to blame past coaches for the nightmare you will live this year. Those kids love both Houseright and Collier and would run through a brick wall for either one of them. SMH

Also, I may not know a ton about the X's and O's of football  but I do know a little about running a business. I know that morale can kill a business and can certainly kill a football program. And it starts from the top not the bottom as you're trying to indicate.  Your A.D. got put in his place by Bill Houseright just like he did by Coach Colobro.  With that being said the negativity that your AD has brought on by his comments  and actions is where the program has lost its support both in the community and financially.   And his best friends are on the school board. You do the math it's not hard to see. Just like a business fix the problem from the top not the bottom 

Gary Collier with Bill Houserights blessings allowed things to go own in that program that were inexcusable. I trust my sources on these matters, Oh and I don't have a daughter and if I did she play basketball it wouldn't be at GC for the other Houseright, she has wasted more talent than Les Miles.

I can say this with 100% confidence your sources are full of shit.   Those coaches done it the right way like it or not   And it's obvious to me what source you're referring to step back and look at his track record. No morals and no integrity.

I am done arguing, you see things through your "Bill covered glasses" I see them for what they really are, Bad seeds were sown and the bad harvest came in and it sucks or the players and coaches there now.

9 hours ago, SXSW said:

I ran some numbers last night and came up with these, I used the 2016 ADM numbers: Buchanan County has 915 students in 4 high schools, Wise County has 2000 in three high schools, Tazewell County has around 1800 in three high schools, Russell County has 1100 in three high schools, Scott County has 1100 in three high schools, Washington County has 1329 (JSB, PH, Holston) Abingdon has 886. If you split Wise County and Tazewell in just two high school, Wise would have two 1000 student schools and Tazewell would have two 900 student schools. This what is could look like in SW Va. Football by 2030.

Her works on paper. But if you put 2 schools in TazCo, the likely spots are near Cuzs/TCCC & near the induestisl park they just built between Bluefield and Tazewell. The problem here is where do the Tazewell kids go? Where do you draw the line to send them east or west on 460? Cause if you send them all one way you have two very unequal schools as far as enrollment. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Her works on paper. But if you put 2 schools in TazCo, the likely spots are near Cuzs/TCCC & near the induestisl park they just built between Bluefield and Tazewell. The problem here is where do the Tazewell kids go? Where do you draw the line to send them east or west on 460? Cause if you send them all one way you have two very unequal schools as far as enrollment. 

IMG_2268.JPG

The future of schools and consolidation, closer, etc., rests in combining schools in different counties.  There are already places in the US to include West VA, that are doing this.  It will become more frequent as counties will have to innovate to maximize funds.  These funds are limited as public education will continue to take a hit as Medicaid continues to grow.  I am not saying Medicaid is good or bad or this or that.  I am not talking about the politics of it.  I am simply talking about the facts of it, and the fact is....Medicaid is a run away train that state and federal regulators have no idea what to do with and is taking up large percentages of budgets, and it's growing. This means that state and local governments have to cut somewhere, or at least have to have some serious innovation in other funded areas such as....education.   The combination of schools in separate counties in order to maximize limited funding will occur in SWVA as well.  Maybe not tomorrow or in the next 5 years, but in the next 10 years, it's a definite thing that is simply going to happen.  

Two examples of what the future could look like and these are just examples, and I am not saying the exact two examples below will happen, but you will see things similar to below...

Rosedale area- new school where Richlands, Honaker, and Lebanon kids attend (2 different counties).   It's not going to be popular and it's already controversial as traditions are changed or lost when county schools combine, but you can imagine how unpopular it will be when schools of different counties combine, but.......money matters and when strapped for funds, there are little options.

Combining an independent city-non county school like Galax with Grayson County and a school built in the Baywood area, etc. (1 independent city school with another county school in this example.)  I know it's crazy, but things of this sort are the future.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, TTownTigers said:

The future of schools and consolidation, closer, etc., rests in combining schools in different counties.  There are already places in the US to include West VA, that are doing this.  It will become more frequent as counties will have to innovate to maximize funds.  These funds are limited as public education will continue to take a hit as Medicaid continues to grow.  I am not saying Medicaid is good or bad or this or that.  I am not talking about the politics of it.  I am simply talking about the facts of it, and the fact is....Medicaid is a run away train that state and federal regulators have no idea what to do with and is taking up large percentages of budgets, and it's growing. This means that state and local governments have to cut somewhere, or at least have to have some serious innovation in other funded areas such as....education.   The combination of schools in separate counties in order to maximize limited funding will occur in SWVA as well.  Maybe not tomorrow or in the next 5 years, but in the next 10 years, it's a definite thing that is simply going to happen.  

Two examples of what the future could look like and these are just examples, and I am not saying the exact two examples below will happen, but you will see things similar to below...

Rosedale area- new school where Richlands, Honaker, and Lebanon kids attend (2 different counties).   It's not going to be popular and it's already controversial as traditions are changed or lost when county schools combine, but you can imagine how unpopular it will be when schools of different counties combine, but.......money matters and when strapped for funds, there are little options.

Combining an independent city-non county school like Galax with Grayson County and a school built in the Baywood area, etc. (1 independent city school with another county school in this example.)  I know it's crazy, but things of this sort are the future.

That is outside the box thinking and in theory sounds great, but I can never see ego driven boards of education ceding power to someone outside their "county" or other municipality.

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

That is outside the box thinking and in theory sounds great, but I can never see ego driven boards of education ceding power to someone outside their "county" or other municipality.

I disagree on two counts.  I could write a thesis on this, but I'll just briefly summarize it here.

One, it's a fiscally disastrous proposition.  Without changing the whole municipal paradigm, one district will be "dominant" and one will be "servient".  In the above example, Russell would be dominant and Tazewell would be servient.  Tazewell would lose the students and therefore the considerable state funding that goes along with them.  Tazewell would be left with buildings where the electricity would need to be paid; the water and sewer would need to be tended; and the grounds would need to be landscaped.  Russell would receive the students (and that money), but would have to construct a massive new school complex (think 8-figure cost); this has left Dickenson County in a huge financial lurch.  Russell would also have to send buses deep into Tazewell County, buses which get 6 MPG at $2.54/gallon for diesel.

Two, while feasible, there would be considerable bureaucracy in consolidating school districts between counties/cities.  It's more than just the public hearings, the public anger, and the funding conundrum: it's administrative red tape even when that's approved.

The General Assembly would need to change its entire municipal paradigm to the northern model of Borough/Township to accomplish this task on a statewide level, and that's almost certainly an 11-figure price tag.  And having seen the independent school district setup for myself, it is massive and unwieldy.

This isn't going to happen, and it's for the best in multiple ways.

I would never support this if I were involved on any intra-county situations, how could you. I like the outside the box thinking to solve a problems, this would never fly because rival counties cut each others throats for every penny Richmond can give them education-wise when it comes to economic development they will literally throw 20 million dollars at a company for 50 jobs just so it will be in your county and not the one next door. The regional jail system has worked okay, but that is starting to have some issues now.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

I would never support this if I were involved on any intra-county situations, how could you. I like the outside the box thinking to solve a problems, this would never fly because rival counties cut each others throats for every penny Richmond can give them education-wise when it comes to economic development they will literally throw 20 million dollars at a company for 50 jobs just so it will be in your county and not the one next door. The regional jail system has worked okay, but that is starting to have some issues now.

One of my pet peeves is "thinking outside the box" for the simple reason of "thinking outside the box".  Most of the time, there's a reason that the proverbial box exists in the first place: it isn't financially disastrous, and it's at least workable.  For every success story that comes from someone who marched to their own drummer's beat, there are 100 stories where people have ruined themselves trying.  I admire people who take that risk, but there's a certain level of "caveat emptor" that goes along with that level of thinking.

As for financial development, that $20M number is a bit steep, but VCEDA and TIC aren't opposed to investing reasonable 7 figure sums to create reasonably paying jobs.  50 jobs at $40K/year is $2M, and if a company can turn just that low threshold, Richmond will earn its money back.  

As for SWRJA, there's nothing fatally flawed in its operation plan, but there are some points of their operation that are muy mal, and need to be remedied yesterday.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of the 1000's, who on the very threshold of victory, sat down to rest and while resting died....C.W. Cecil. If you never try and fail, you have never lived. I am glad that our inventor's and scientist and explorer's not only thought outside the box they blew it up and built a new one. Long live the pioneers, rebels and mutineers..