Scrimmages

Hokiebird7

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Galax will scrimmage Mount Airy Saturday at 6PM on the new turf that is 30% black!  What's the over/under on the number of players who suffer heat related injury?

Seriously though, who's idea was it to install black turf?  The money could have and should have been better spent in many other areas for educational purposes in my opinion but black?  Dam, that's gonna be a heat magnet!

If the kids are properly conditioned and hydrated, just like playing on any other surface, they'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

You are right...all I know is last few years when we came there our kids had to play a game on a horse pasture field...something needed to be done before a serious injury happened

I don't disagree something needed to be done.  I just know what was done (and not done) to ensure a worst possible outcome for the grass field.  I don't even have a tremendous issue with a turf field if everything in-house from an educational standpoint is up to par.  The issues I have are.....

1. Not everything in-house is up to par from an educational standpoint.  
  2. Honesty with the general public/tax paying citizens was an afterthought throughout this process.  
  3. It was more about the ego of current administration and coaching staff than necessity of the turf field.
  4. Its a legacy item for the current school superintendent.
  5. It still doesn't fix the restroom, concessions and locker room situation, which was needed far worse than a turf field.
  6. The cost is exorbitant for a poor community that is losing population like the rest of SWVA.
  7. The school system asked to borrow half-a-million-dollars from the city to help pay for construction.
  8. City council had severe reservations about the project from the beginning, voiced those concerns publicly and denied the loan.
  9. In turn, the school system took funds from the "capital fund" to pay for the field. 
  10. Teachers haven't gotten pay raises in several years, insurance costs out-of-pocket have risen and VRS contributions have dropped over that same period.

Let's hope nothing happens in the short term to warrant necessary funds be spent from the capital fund like say, going over budget on the current 18-million-dollar renovation of Galax Elementary School.   

4 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

If the kids are properly conditioned and hydrated, just like playing on any other surface, they'll be fine.

Disagree!  And so do many others........

http://www.courant.com/community/windsor/hc-synthetic-turf-heat-20160813-story.html

http://www.fieldturf.com/en/artificial-turf/artificial-turf-news/penn-state-university-testing-debunks-cooling-technologies

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93364750

The temperature on artificial surfaces soars. And there's no getting away from it.  Proper breaks away from the field and proper hydration help but until you've stood on a turf field on a August afternoon you can't understand. It IS NOT like any other surface, more like a parking lot than a grass field.

Not saying it's unsafe or can't be overcome, obviously it can but it is a challenge 

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

The temperature on artificial surfaces soars. And there's no getting away from it.  Proper breaks away from the field and proper hydration help but until you've stood on a turf field on a August afternoon you can't understand. It IS NOT like any other surface, more like a parking lot than a grass field.

Not saying it's unsafe or can't be overcome, obviously it can but it is a challenge 

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

What's next? You guys going to sit here and say the smooth taste of Marlboro reds are bad for ya too?

15 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Salem will be Salem and playing in December as usual...just like sun rising and setting...it happens every year...this year probably no different

Bird you are a man of many chirps.....you speak with indian tongue and not BS....  Like ol Dook.  you the man!

From SWVATODAY

Richlands came out of the Blue and White game healthy and ready for Belfry, George Wythe and Heritage to roll into Ernie Hicks Stadium. Those will be controlled scrimmages on half field starting at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 11.

Tazewell put the Green and White game in the rear view mirror and gets ready to try its luck against Grundy, Twin Springs and Wise Central this Friday. This scrimmage will have a six p.m. Start and follow the half field controlled setup.

Grundy’s middle school team will also make the trip to Tazewell and scrimmage the young Bulldogs on the practice field. Honaker will knock heads with Chilhowie in its scrimmage opener Aug. 11 at six p.m.

Twin Valley will host the Mountain Mayhem Jamboree Aug. 12 starting at 10 a.m. when Castlewood and Riverview play. Castlewood takes on Hurley in the next half of action.

Riverview and Holston, Hurley and Northwood, Twin Valley and Holston, Rye Cove versus Northwood and Rye Cove versus Twin Valley complete the day’s action.

1 hour ago, Single A west said:

Legacy of the superintendent, hearing he won't be there much longer, retirement soon? Not sure how old he is.

He is a tool!  He is early 50's and claims "independent wealth".  I couldn't care less as long as he leaves as soon as possible.  

We were hoping beyond all hope he would take the Carroll County superintendent position this summer given he is a product of the area and system.  No such luck!

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Ridiculous to charge admission for a darn scrimmage...benefit a little different since money is split

Last year it was $4 or $5 to get into the Richlands Jamboree. I'd assume it's the same this year. 

Just now, stu_bean said:

I hold the benefit game and scrimmages in pretty much the same regard as preseason games for the NFL...fun to watch but really don't tell you anything

True but benefits are more game like...scrimmage or jamboree is a glorified practice