Realistic Expectations

SXSW

I am just curious to find out what are your real expectations for everyone's favorite team is. Try to remove your school colored chest paint and be real with what to expect from each this season.

As far as Giles goes, I can see us finishing 8-2 at best with losses to Blacksburg and Graham. Glenvar will give us fits just because of the rivalry, but I think that Giles takes the torch back this season. Being in a region with Appomattox, I doubt we make a deep playoff run but it's still very early so who knows.

Being an ardent supporter of all things Gate City I would love to put down an 8-2 record, but in all reality 6-4 is probably the high water mark for our team. If they can stay healthy and grow up a little they could surprise a team in the playoffs but you have to get there. I think Union and Richlands  are 1 and 1a everyone else is fighting for third. 

Abingdon is a question mark.  The defense is solid and play extremely fast and physical.  Special teams is in good shape with the new kicker.  The concern is this new offensive scheme.  Not sure how its going to work out.  The Falcons could go 8-2 or very well go 2-8.  It all depends on how well they can execute this new look offense.  Every week will be a wait and see mode.

Richlands, graham and union will top this region.  Gate City is in trouble especially early with their schedule.  South being down may give the devils some hope early but I see a 2-8 or at best a 4-6 record for the devils.  Lee has the players to make a run but we have seen that before with little success.   Lee should win seven games but time will tell.   Wish I knew a little more about Wise central.  I really like their quarterback,  on and off the field.    Good luck to all! 

I'm not going to make a prediction on how Galax will fair this season.  They have talent, an excellent coaching staff and a shiny new toy turf field.  They also have lost a lot of trust within the community over the way the field, coaching hires and resignations were handled.  Nobody likes to feel as if they were held hostage or had their hand forced.  Support for the program will continue to dwindle in my opinion, as it has over the past few years.  Galax has always struggled to fill the stands and that has gotten more difficult in recent years.  Name another program with similar success that has that issue, I'll wait!

However, I'm hearing rumblings that the superintendent is retiring at the end of the current school year.  If true, that could go a long way to rekindling community support surrounding all school activities.  He is just a very divisive figure and can't be gone soon enough!

Galax does have 3 freshman everyone should make the effort to go see at some point though.  Not trying to put unnecessary pressure on three kids who have yet to play a varsity game but they are beyond talented.  One will be the starting QB, is 6'-2" tall and 190 pounds.  Another is simply a headhunter.  He is 5'-11" tall and 190 pounds.  The third is only about 5'-8" tall and 155 pounds but he will be the most aggressive, quickest, fastest kid on the field, regardless of opponent.  He will be another 3,000 yard back!

I talked to a Dickenson County school board member a few days ago that was predicting 7-3 for Ridgeview with the 3 losses being to Union, Gate City and Abingdon.  I feel that is extremely optimistic.  The first goal should be winning a district game, something we didn't do last season.  I think the non-district schedule is very winnable, so that's 4 wins.  Then perhaps beating John Battle and Lee could get us to 5-5 or 6-4 and a low seed for the Region D playoffs.  That's what I am leaning to.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I'm not going to make a prediction on how Galax will fair this season.  They have talent, an excellent coaching staff and a shiny new toy turf field.  They also have lost a lot of trust within the community over the way the field, coaching hires and resignations were handled.  Nobody likes to feel as if they were held hostage or had their hand forced.  Support for the program will continue to dwindle in my opinion, as it has over the past few years.  Galax has always struggled to fill the stands and that has gotten more difficult in recent years.  Name another program with similar success that has that issue, I'll wait!

However, I'm hearing rumblings that the superintendent is retiring at the end of the current school year.  If true, that could go a long way to rekindling community support surrounding all school activities.  He is just a very divisive figure and can't be gone soon enough!

Galax does have 3 freshman everyone should make the effort to go see at some point though.  Not trying to put unnecessary pressure on three kids who have yet to play a varsity game but they are beyond talented.  One will be the starting QB, is 6'-2" tall and 190 pounds.  Another is simply a headhunter.  He is 5'-11" tall and 190 pounds.  The third is only about 5'-8" tall and 155 pounds but he will be the most aggressive, quickest, fastest kid on the field, regardless of opponent.  He will be another 3,000 yard back!

Is Dougie People's not playing? 

For GW I see 9-1 realistically Galax give us fits we've all seen it. I can see us wining that game but it will depend on line play. And if we can stop the traps and counters. 

I can also see Marion giving us a game this year the hype is good for them this season. Now yes we've lost a few great players but we have well enough to replace it. We definitely have the talent back we need for another run. Beamer a 3 year starter 3 very solid returning linemen and 2 who will fill very nicely. Our backfield should be something special we have 5 really good backs who will all see time. We will be young but that hasn't been a problem in the past. 

Good luck to everyone and let's all pray for ZERO injuries. 

If Wise Central can avoid the catastrophic injuries that killed them last season,this squad IMO is looking at 8 wins and a playoff win or 2. The region is up this year though and every game will be a dogfight. The Warriors will be a tough out defensively with some added weapons to the squad and advances in the passing game

44 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Is Dougie People's not playing? 

Yes, Dougie is a senior and Blake Brown is a junior.  Keaton, the freshman I mentioned earlier, will be next in line behind those guys and believe me, he is a special talent.

Graham's probably looking at something between 7-3 and 9-1.  Graham has a mental block against beating Richlands, so that's not happening.  Bluefield, Marion, Giles and Princeton should be good contests, all of which should favor Graham.  Graham has a decided advantage in the others.

Just now, 02GW12 said:

Sixcat what all do you guys have back on the line? Is that monster #65 back? That kid was killer last yesr.

I'm going to assume you mean Daniel Edwards.  He graduated.  Daniel is a once a generation kid.  Incredibly difficult circumstances at home but he is doing everything within his power to give himself an opportunity to overcome it.  Plus, he is the most likable young man I have ever met.  He has any number of people in his corner helping him along the way.  His younger brother Alex is playing after returning from Florida.  If he can stay out of trouble, he will be good.  Not as good as Daniel but still very big, very strong, very athletic and quick as hell for his size.

There will be several new faces on the offensive line.  As for the rest of the team, I'm hoping addition by subtraction is the rule of thumb.  Several cancerous elements are gone due to graduation.  Hopefully that clears up some of the off-field issues the entire school system suffered through last year.

Yes that's him he was a monster out there. And I wish him the best of luck going forward. 

I think you guys will be fine even if a sputter happens I think they will work it it when it matters.

Union will be anywhere between 8-2 and 10-0. The toughest games to win will be Richlands and Morristown West. 

Union, Richlands, and Graham will more than likely run the show in Region D. I imagine the fight for first seed will be tough.

Gate city has been really spoiled with two great quarterbacks over the last eight years. Both wore number 10, I say try number 10 in this game DeAndre Mac! That was an ugly half   Can Gate City Beat Ridgeview and Battle???

55 minutes ago, mw0729 said:

Gate city has been really spoiled with two great quarterbacks over the last eight years. Both wore number 10, I say try number 10 in this game DeAndre Mac! That was an ugly half   Can Gate City Beat Ridgeview and Battle???

GC will be ok.  Held their own with Graham.  You're right, we have been really spoiled.  #10 Mack looks very quick, albeit against the 2nd team.  We just don't have any great speed, but line play looks good.  Final: starters Graham 14 GC 0.  2nd team/jv, GC 7 Graham 0.

In my opinion, Richlands is likely anywhere between 6-4 and 9-1. The two biggest factors are injuries and tough schedule. My toss-ups are Union, Blacksburg, William Byrd, and Graham.  All 4 in my opinion have equal or better talent. However,  I believe they find a way to win 1 or 2 they shouldn't, much like 2014 when they defeated more talented Lord Botetourt and Bluefield.