Realistic Expectations

SXSW

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

In my opinion, Richlands is likely anywhere between 6-4 and 9-1. The two biggest factors are injuries and tough schedule. My toss-ups are Union, Blacksburg, William Byrd, and Graham.  All 4 in my opinion have equal or better talent. However,  I believe they find a way to win 1 or 2 they shouldn't, much like 2014 when they defeated more talented Lord Botetourt and Bluefield. 

I've got Richlands at 7-3 now without Justus at LB this year. This defense can still be good, but with him they had an opportunity to be special. I think the Blacksburg game is likely a loss, with Union, Graham, and Byrd as tossups. 

Still, with that 7-3 record they will be in play for a 2-3 seed in region D. 

Yes, Dougie is a senior and Blake Brown is a junior.  Keaton, the freshman I mentioned earlier, will be next in line behind those guys and believe me, he is a special talent.

we have a good group in 7-8 graders coming up also. 5-6 good good good running backs. 

Saw fort  chiswell tonight if bailey at QB  they could win 6-8 ball games, O-line Young in spots - may hold them back

14 hours ago, Unchained said:

If Wise Central can avoid the catastrophic injuries that killed them last season,this squad IMO is looking at 8 wins and a playoff win or 2. The region is up this year though and every game will be a dogfight. The Warriors will be a tough out defensively with some added weapons to the squad and advances in the passing game

This would be incredible and something I'd love to see happen. The town of Wise hasn't seen its high school win a playoff football game in 36 years. 

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I've got Richlands at 7-3 now without Justus at LB this year. This defense can still be good, but with him they had an opportunity to be special. I think the Blacksburg game is likely a loss, with Union, Graham, and Byrd as tossups. 

Still, with that 7-3 record they will be in play for a 2-3 seed in region D. 

8 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

After seeing Giles play Bluefield tonight I'm sticking with my 8-2 prediction. We'll give Blacksburg and Graham a fight but the only way we'll be able to win is in a shoot out as our o-line is very aggressive and we can move the ball. Very young team as well.

Your O line is not young.  

16 hours ago, Single A west said:

Yes, Dougie is a senior and Blake Brown is a junior.  Keaton, the freshman I mentioned earlier, will be next in line behind those guys and believe me, he is a special talent.

we have a good group in 7-8 graders coming up also. 5-6 good good good running backs. 

Saw fort  chiswell tonight if bailey at QB  they could win 6-8 ball games, O-line Young in spots - may hold them back

Good to hear. I like it when competition is strong. Makes the district as a whole bettter. Graham deserves some credit for where the MED is right now. 

Fort would probably be a step or two farther along had they not taken a dozen steps backward by hiring Tom Hale.

But glad it was only one year and they are well on their way back. They have the right guy in place now. 

5 hours ago, Unchained said:

1992 23-0 at 10-0 Thomas Walker

I forgot about that one, still just one playoff win in 36 years. Not a single kid playing today was alive the last time the high school in Wise won a playoff game. Nothing would make me happier than to see that streak end this year. I just worry if they don't beat Union they're going to be like a 4 or 5 seed in the playoffs and have a tough time winning their first game.

3 minutes ago, NewHampshireRed said:

In all seriousness, (I'm a Hurley fan) but pulling for Logan Justus at Richlands. Richlands could start the season 0-5 1-4 and still make at least a semi final. They've got a brutal first 5 games. 

He's out for the season. Tore his Achilles on the first series of the benefit game. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

He's out for the season. Tore his Achilles on the first series of the benefit game. 

Does this years team have the talent depth like prior Richland's teams in the past? Just in case the injury bug hits and injured players needs replaced.

GC 7-3 in my opinion. The line is better and we played a very good Graham team and played them well running the ball. Our schedule is not quite as tough. This 2017 team would be a 6-4 or 5-5 team with last year's schedule. Our sure losses are Richlands and Union. We get a close loss to Daniel Boone. I think we beat Abingdon at home as its early in the year and Abingdon will still be working the kinks out of its new offense. S.South is down. We win it. Ridgeview over at their place will be tough. I think we pull it out. 

Sure or Likely wins are Battle, Marion, Central and Lee. I know Lee has talent, but until it replicates on the field, I just don't believe they beat us this year. Central will be much better, but I think we win it. I believe we are 7-3. I think that we also do not get blown out or a major beatdown, even with Union and Gate City. I believe our OL play will kill enough clock and hinder possessions of both schools keeping the game respectable and both within 20 points. 20 pts is a nice W, but it ain't a blowout. I got the first game as Richlands 27, Gate City 14. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's terrible. In recent years how many kids have been hurt for Richlands in the benefit games? At this point if I'm Mance I say no more Benefit games. Hopefully this kid will make a good recovery.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Richlands will be 9-1 at worst this season.  

7 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I'd take the under 

Yeah, I'm taking the under. 7-3 or 8-2 is what I have Richlands at. Depends on what Byrd has coming back. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yeah, I'm taking the under. 7-3 or 8-2 is what I have Richlands at. Depends on what Byrd has coming back. 

Ryan, is Richlands still running the spread this year? I'd be shocked to see Richlands running anything else. I didn't know what the quarterback situation was or anything. The guy who tore his Achilles was a lineman, correct?

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I agree. 9-1 would be very impressive. I'm not saying it's undoable but it's more unlikely than likely in my opinion. They beefed up the schedule and I can respect that. 

20 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I agree. 9-1 would be very impressive. I'm not saying it's undoable but it's more unlikely than likely in my opinion. They beefed up the schedule and I can respect that. 

Exactly. They are capable, even with the loss of Justus. But that first five games is brutal and it doesn't even include Graham. 

23 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Ryan, is Richlands still running the spread this year? I'd be shocked to see Richlands running anything else. I didn't know what the quarterback situation was or anything. The guy who tore his Achilles was a lineman, correct?

It's still the spread, but it will feature more running, especially with the QB. Brown has a better arm than River did a few years ago, but River was a bulldozer. Brown can still run it, though. 

Justus was slated to play on the OL, but his biggest absence will be at LB.