Radford at Galax

BandanaVTDavis4321

Big game featuring probably two teams that are in the top 3 in the state in each other's Classifications.  

Seems like Galax isn't the fastest in the secondary and Radford should have a favorable matchup with that speed and passing attack, but.....it's Galax. They regularly disprove hypotheticals when they are on the field matched up against the opponent such as Glenvar this year or Radford last year.  I think the game is close. I'm still not 100 percent sold on Radford. If they come to Galax and win by 4 TDs, then I will be sold, but something tells me Galax is going to do battle with em, and run the ball effectively enough to keep Radfords O off the field.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Big game featuring probably two teams that are in the top 3 in the state in each other's Classifications.  

Seems like Galax isn't the fastest in the secondary and Radford should have a favorable matchup with that speed and passing attack, but.....it's Galax. They regularly disprove hypotheticals when they are on the field matched up against the opponent such as Glenvar this year or Radford last year.  I think the game is close. I'm still not 100 percent sold on Radford. If they come to Galax and win by 4 TDs, then I will be sold, but something tells me Galax is going to do battle with em, and run the ball effectively enough to keep Radfords O off the field.

I think Radford’s greatest weakness is coaching. Hopefully, that doesn’t hinder them. They’ve got talent but some coaches are known for squandering talent. Should be a good game, good luck to both teams. 

Through 3 games our junior QB Landen has accounted for 16 touchdowns.  He's thrown for 12 averaging 4 TD passes per game and he has ran for 4 more TD's.  He's playing good football right now and putting up crazy numbers.  Against Gate City, he threw for 6 TD's and ran for 2 accounting for 8 TD's in one game.

I'm hopeful our new coach doesn't start playing a weaker schedule.  Our schedule hasn't changed a whole lot.  We play our 5 district required games in Alleghany, Carroll, Floyd, Glenvar, and James River.  The other non district games are George Wythe, Gate City, Fort Chiswell, Galax, and Christiansburg.

On 9/11/2022 at 4:10 PM, Fairlawncat said:

I'm hopeful our new coach doesn't start playing a weaker schedule.  Our schedule hasn't changed a whole lot.  We play our 5 district required games in Alleghany, Carroll, Floyd, Glenvar, and James River.  The other non district games are George Wythe, Gate City, Fort Chiswell, Galax, and Christiansburg.

a

46 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Well yeah, but compare to Graham - Union Schedule, plus their Scrimmage schedule!  Crist doesn't want heavy competition - has been proven at every school he has been at!!

Union isn’t a great example this time around.  They have good reasons, but like a lot of M-7 schools have 2 class 1 Cumberland teams.  
Not criticizing as they needed to get rid of Letcher Central.  

42 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

Radford by 21 book it

Very possible. The big difference in this game is the play style of the two teams . Radford likes to score quick with big plays, and are very explosive. Where  as Galax is very content to grind out 3 to 5 yards at a time and eat clock and wear on you, then they start pulling lineman and do a lot of reach blocking and those 3 to 4 yard gains turn into 10 to 12. If Galax can keep their O off the field they have a chance. 

8 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Very possible. The big difference in this game is the play style of the two teams . Radford likes to score quick with big plays, and are very explosive. Where  as Galax is very content to grind out 4 to 5 yards at a time and eat clock and wear on you, then they start pulling lineman and do a lot of reach blocking and those 3 to 4 yard gains turn into 10 to 12. If Galax can keep their O off the field they have a chance. 

This is a very true statement. Ask me how I know.

14 hours ago, Dobb83 said:

Radford by 21 book it

Very well could happen or could be worse but we heard the same thing last year. Radford has as much or more talent at the skill positions than anyone we'll see this year. (Graham will as well) Galax will have to pound the ball with long drives to keep Radford's offense off the field as much as possible to have a chance in this one.

17 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Coach, also known for weak scheduling!  Doesn't like to play real competiton, like a "GRAHAM" or "UNION" would!  

This schedule was set 2 years ago before Christ was even named the coach so don't blame him. You can blame the AD.   It actually isn't that weak either.  Ft Chiswell is the only bad team non-conference team.  two of them are top Class 1 programs, and Cburg is class 3.  One problem that happens is the bigger schools don't want to play smaller schools because the points aren't worth it.  The Radford basketball program struggles to get bigger schools to play us because they don't want to lose and it isn't worth any points.  Blacksburg and Christiansburg should be regulars but they won't play us in basketball.

This game will come down to line play.  If Radford Oline can give Clark time, then Radford will score lots.  If Radford Dline can stop the run then it will be a big day for Radford.  BIG ifs.  I expect this to be a high scoring game with probably Radford getting to a quick lead and Galax making a run in the second half to make it a game.

Agreed on line play being the major determinant  in this game but depth is also key. In Wythe game, Radfird having better depth really showed in 2nd half. Even great players like GW has get tired when they cant come off the field at all

Galax to me plays a very vanilla offense with the amount of talent they have. Zero counters or trap backs , no misdirection at all. No jet sweeps ,etc. Its clear to see the QB is not reading at the mess point at all this year as it is all pre determined before snap. I get that they feel like they have the athletes and strength to match up against 95% of everyone they play but why not make it harder on the defense. This will bite Galax this year.