Backyard Brawl: Tazewell at Richlands

Austrian Ben Shapiro

44 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I wanted to make a comment about making sure of covering the spread when scoring late, but with humor rather than sour grapes. Anyway, it was a great game. As stated in another thread, a lot of standout performances. No reason to hang your head. I definitely see improvement by the Blues. The overall talent isn’t going to be there every year. Richlands has some youth on this roster. Enjoy this win. I don’t see an over abundance of rising talent in Bulldog country either. This rivalry may experience some parity over the next several years if Richlands can establish some stability.

It’s become increasingly difficult over the years to project high school success based on middle school and JV results.  Tazewell’s middle school team last year was by all objective accounts not good, but there are 6 freshman seeing substantial playing time this season.  That goes for the JV team also.  They have struggled, but Finn Moss is a pretty darned good QB who will get his chance when Creasy graduates.  

31 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Hard to say on the talent part for anyone. Some standout youth never develop into skilled players. Some athletes don't even come out for football until their so/Jr year or don't develop until then. Who knows what the future holds for any team, that's why I love it!

This is true. I guess to clarify, it provides some hope for the future. I don’t see a tremendous talent disparity between the two communities, which makes it more exciting. I hope to see more back and forth in the future.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s become increasingly difficult over the years to project high school success based on middle school and JV results.  Tazewell’s middle school team last year was by all objective accounts not good, but there are 6 freshman seeing substantial playing time this season.  That goes for the JV team also.  They have struggled, but Finn Moss is a pretty darned good QB who will get his chance when Creasy graduates.  

To add to my last comment, I think the fact that it is all the information we have at this point in time is what provides the hope that stokes the fire of the rivalry. The information is definitely not infallible, but it’s all we have. Coaching and stability is likely the key to developing and nurturing what is there. As we have seen, instability leads to bad attitudes and defections of said talent.

13 hours ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

First 6 game losing streak since the end of the Soviet-era for Richlands. 1989 was the last time the Blues had this bad of a stretch, 3 years later they were state champs

😂 tainted state champs 

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

This is true. I guess to clarify, it provides some hope for the future. I don’t see a tremendous talent disparity between the two communities, which makes it more exciting. I hope to see more back and forth in the future.

The past three games in the series have been a lot of fun to watch. Over the last 20 years, with the exception of the early 2000’s & the 2 games in the 2008 season, the rivalry hasn’t been competitive. It’s better for both teams and both communities when each school has a chance to (& believes they can) win. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

The past three games in the series have been a lot of fun to watch. Over the last 20 years, with the exception of the early 2000’s & the 2 games in the 2008 season, the rivalry hasn’t been competitive. It’s better for both teams and both communities when each school has a chance to (& believes they can) win. 

Absolutely agree.  The past 3 years have been good ballgames to watch.  

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Good players on the 08 Tazewell team. 

I’ve got a question, when was the last time Tazewell won the Southwest District? Was it that 08 team? If I remember correctly we played Graham at home in the first round  then Richlands the next weekend for the Regional Championship. 

38 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

I’ve got a question, when was the last time Tazewell won the Southwest District? Was it that 08 team? If I remember correctly we played Graham at home in the first round  then Richlands the next weekend for the Regional Championship. 

Richlands won it in 08, but had 3 losses (GC, PV & Bluefield) so Tazewell had more points in the ratings and ended up hosting the regional championship after losing to Richlands and Lebanon in the final game. 

Maybe 99? If not then, 86 is about the only other time I can remember.