Backyard Brawl: Tazewell at Richlands

Austrian Ben Shapiro

3 hours ago, Observer said:

FACT:  UVAObserver threatened Tornado99 on a public forum.  Not a good look for a lawyer.  

We all know as soon as Tornado beats the hell out of him he will file a restraining order.

I think anyone could admit that telling someone to use more brainpower or discretion in posting within the same thread you've called yourself the big dog and talk about throwing last punches is pretty funny. I'm not being overly antagonistic, it's pretty objectively funny. 

I don't understand why everything gets viewed from the M7/SWD slant, I think Clemens is the best RB in 2D and Creasy would be an upgrade at QB for every M7 team sans RV (and sneaky maybe, possibly Lee. Surrounded by a mediocre at best team, the kid down there can sling it). I've seen both kids play, I think O'Quinn is slightly ahead bc of his raw arm strength and physicality, and that's not an outrageous take. 

One team in 2D has won a state title since 2010. That's not this year, and if we gonna go back thru history, I'm pretty positive the total number of titles won by M7 schools/towns would be ahead, so I don't get how Graham winning a state title means anything when talking about Tazwell/RV and how the winner of 2D in recent memory is mostly even. 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I don't understand why everything gets viewed from the M7/SWD slant, I think Clemens is the best RB in 2D and Creasy would be an upgrade at QB for every M7 team sans RV (and sneaky maybe, possibly Lee. Surrounded by a mediocre at best team, the kid down there can sling it). I've seen both kids play, I think O'Quinn is slightly ahead bc of his raw arm strength and physicality, and that's not an outrageous take. 

How dare you give your opinion that somebody else in the M7 is even close to being as good as Creasy.  You will be threatened and barked at!!!

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I think anyone could admit that telling someone to use more brainpower or discretion in posting within the same thread you've called yourself the big dog and talk about throwing last punches is pretty funny. I'm not being overly antagonistic, it's pretty objectively funny. 

One team in 2D has won a state title since 2010. That's not this year, and if we gonna go back thru history, I'm pretty positive the total number of titles won by M7 schools/towns would be ahead, so I don't get how Graham winning a state title means anything when talking about Tazwell/RV and how the winner of 2D in recent memory is mostly even. 

If you’re counting Appy PV GC clintwood and Wise total titles gotta be near 20.  And yeah this end of state aint winning one this year from what I’ve seen 

11 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They are both good Quarterbacks.  

I concur! Both have strengths & both have weaknesses.Numbers on paper mean zip when they step on the field Friday night. I’m sure they’ll both have very good games this week. Maybe they’ll meet one day head to head until then, both are the top of their respective districts. 

17 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

If you’re counting Appy PV GC clintwood and Wise total titles gotta be near 20.  And yeah this end of state aint winning one this year from what I’ve seen 

PV/Appalachia alone accounts for like 15. Eight at PV and around seven at AHS. GC and CW both won multiple titles. 

I don’t know the finer points of QB play or who’s better. I realize it’s not sound logic, but that close 2021 Spring loss 21-19 under the Wells regime is one of the reasons, why I have a hard time picking against Richlands in this matchup, even though on paper it makes since. That Tazewell class was one of the most anticipated and talented classes in recent Bulldog history and still almost managed to lose and also fell short of expectations. I’m still picking Richlands on pure emotion, but acknowledge recent results indicate otherwise. As another poster put it, Tarter deserves some success for stepping up and sticking with these boys despite mountains of adversity.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Stated perfectly, Popeye.  (1) OP made a perjorative statement about my character.  (2) I stated that I would be happy to prove his opinion inaccurate, and suggested a place and time where such philosophical adjustment might take place.  There's no threat directly stated or reasonably implied.  I never stated that I would assault or batter the OP, nowhere close.  I stated that, if he truly believed that and was cocksure enough to personally confront me on it, I'd be more than happy to settle the issue anyplace, anytime.  Hopefully such a thing would never happen in the first place, because I highly doubt someone in their right state of mind would say something like that to me in a personal setting.   I would never throw a first punch; I would, however, throw a last one. 

OP made an inappropriate bluff, and I called him on it.  Simple as that.

Both persons who have derailed this thread have specifically called me out, and are now aghast that I would dare respond to it.  Where's the Shocked Pikachu Face when I need it?

BTW, @Observer, you might want to use better discretion when referencing people on this site.  There's a huge difference between @Tornado 🌪 99 (an online troll who's lurked for 1 year and been active about 17 days, give or take) and @tornado99 (a person for whom I have a significant amount of respect based upon his contributions on this site for 17 years).

Thanks for making the distinction. Too many similar names on here. 

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

I don’t know the finer points of QB play or who’s better. I realize it’s not sound logic, but that close 2021 Spring loss 21-19 under the Wells regime is one of the reasons, why I have a hard time picking against Richlands in this matchup, even though on paper it makes since. That Tazewell class was one of the most anticipated and talented classes in recent Bulldog history and still almost managed to lose and also fell short of expectations. I’m still picking Richlands on pure emotion, but acknowledge recent results indicate otherwise. As another poster put it, Tarter deserves some success for stepping up and sticking with these boys despite mountains of adversity.

Reminds me of the Central class that graduated couple years ago.  We in this area had to hear for 6 or 7 years about how many titles that team was gonna win 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

PV/Appalachia alone accounts for like 15. Eight at PV and around seven at AHS. GC and CW both won multiple titles. 

6 at Appy I think but could be 7.  GC at least 3 and Clintwood 3-4 and Wise 1.  Not sure if Haysi won any.

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I have not seen O'Quinn play so I can't give a direct comparison but if all things were equal, I would put Creasy right there with him.  Arm strength doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Look at Jamarcus Russel who had a freaking canon of an arm and he was considered a huge bust in the NFL.  Not accusing either QB here, but arm strength means nothing without accuracy.  I know Creasy has arm strength as well but his accuracy suffers when running from the defenders.

Like I said would love to see each one in an equal scenario.

18 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

As a complete aside, I was trying to explain this rivalry to one of my current neighbors outside the area.  Couldn't really make them understand how I could simultaneously state that I hate Tazewell but I have many lifelong friends who are THS alumni, I tend to pull for them in the postseason (unless they face Richlands), and I'd be willing to fight any outsider who makes a disparaging remark about them or the area in general.  Perhaps it is due to my heaping helping of Scots heritage.

That's enough for now.  Get back at it, Observer and.... Observer.

I wonder if there is any other schools that hate each other more during their rivalry week?  

20 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I wonder if there is any other schools that hate each other more during their rivalry week?  

It's not necessarily reciprocated in the same way, but Central does institute "Union Hate Week" when we play them. They make shirts and everything. haha

I am taking the Blues in this one for two reasons. One the game is at Richlands, two because Richlands has owned Tazewell for more than a decade now (sorry dawg fans).

5 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Central and Ridgeview seem to have a lot of hate for each other.

31 minutes ago, bgibb said:

I am taking the Blues in this one for two reasons. One the game is at Richlands, two because Richlands has owned Tazewell for more than a decade now (sorry dawg fans).

Richlands had dominated Graham for over a decade too until Graham won at Richlands in 2017. Now Graham has won 7 in a row.