Sept 15 - A - Graham

Sept 22 - H - Gate City 

Sept 29 - A - Twin Springs

Oct    6 - H - Ridgeview

Oct   13 - A - Central

Oct   20 - Open

Oct   27 - A - Abingdon

Nov    3 - H - Battle

Twin Springs?  Otherwise a very competitive schedule.

17 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Twin Springs?  Otherwise a very competitive schedule.

Yea, I'm sure every Union person would rather see a more competitive school, but...

It offsets Science Hill

They're more competitive than Thomas Walker

I can get a Teddy's milkshake on the way there. 🙂

7 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Yea, I'm sure every Union person would rather see a more competitive school, but...

It offsets Science Hill

They're more competitive than Thomas Walker

I can get a Teddy's milkshake on the way there. 🙂

There’s nothing wrong with one cupcake. Plus I think the class 2 teams should rotate and help the smaller schools out a bit.  Twin Springs will be helped greatly by the Union fans traveling there. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

I feel for GC next year when they make the trip to Middlesboro.

24 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

You're not kidding!

I grimaced when I saw that one.

Everyone knows the refs are better on the other side of the Cumberland Gap tunnel.  I don't know what y'all are talking about.  Lol

21 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Is Middlesboro any good? What kind of history do they have over there?

Years ago, they were a powerhouse, but their enrollment has really dwindled. For a 1A equivalent program, they are competitive. However, it's the refs that GC will need to worry about. Do a search on this site for "Middlesboro", and you will see past conversations.

The only time I've ever seen blatant, in your face, unapologetic cheating by refs was in 2013 when Union traveled there. It was unreal.

When a DE walks up to a ref, AFTER the play has already been blown dead and markers moved, and proceeds to complain that he was held on the previous play,  THEN the ref throws a flag and moves the chains back....I have no words.

Well -- my anger at this Cheatersboro revelation not yet subsided, Imma ask a key question, if anyone here knows the answer to it:

Is this mess the simple "fates of circumstance"...or did classic GC arrogance rear its ugly head again??  That is to say -- two years ago, when we plopped Radford down on the ol' sched....were we dealing with the same musical chairs problem where we just couldn't get options??  Or -- were we once again "just toughening the boys up" by scheduling way up the proverbial food chain??  In other (tl/dr) words:  Did we have a much better choice two years ago, and just took them because we felt like a "challenge" -- leading directly to this hellscape of an outcome??

based on everyone else's schedules i have pieced John Battle's  schedule so far.

8/25        Abingdon               Away

9/1          Va High                 Home

9/8         Holston                  Home

9/15

9/22      Patrick Henry         Away

9/29

10/6     Wise Central          Away

10/13    Ridgeview              Home

10/20    Gate City               Home

10/27     Lee                       Away

11/3        Union                   Away

3 hours ago, Queue said:

Well -- my anger at this Cheatersboro revelation not yet subsided, Imma ask a key question, if anyone here knows the answer to it:

Is this mess the simple "fates of circumstance"...or did classic GC arrogance rear its ugly head again??  That is to say -- two years ago, when we plopped Radford down on the ol' sched....were we dealing with the same musical chairs problem where we just couldn't get options??  Or -- were we once again "just toughening the boys up" by scheduling way up the proverbial food chain??  In other (tl/dr) words:  Did we have a much better choice two years ago, and just took them because we felt like a "challenge" -- leading directly to this hellscape of an outcome??

I was told that Radford was wanted, but wasn't told why.

Don't know about Middlesboro.

I will say that when Union played them, it was Middlesboro that initiated contact.

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Years ago, they were a powerhouse, but their enrollment has really dwindled. For a 1A equivalent program, they are competitive. However, it's the refs that GC will need to worry about. Do a search on this site for "Middlesboro", and you will see past conversations.

The only time I've ever seen blatant, in your face, unapologetic cheating by refs was in 2013 when Union traveled there. It was unreal.

When a DE walks up to a ref, AFTER the play has already been blown dead and markers moved, and proceeds to complain that he was held on the previous play,  THEN the ref throws a flag and moves the chains back....I have no words.

Hey don’t forget when we pinned them inside the 1 and they decide to call 3 yes 3 personal fouls on Union and give them the ball near midfield. 

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I was told that Radford was wanted, but wasn't told why.

Don't know about Middlesboro.

I will say that when Union played them, it was Middlesboro that initiated contact.

Wanted for renewal or wanted in the first place 2 years ago??  And "wanted" meaning handpicked rather than "down the list" option??

5 hours ago, Queue said:

Wanted for renewal or wanted in the first place 2 years ago??  And "wanted" meaning handpicked rather than "down the list" option??

Yes, wanted for the last cycle as in handpicked.

6 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Hey don’t forget when we pinned them inside the 1 and they decide to call 3 yes 3 personal fouls on Union and give them the ball near midfield. 

I remember. Turner said in the Post/Coalfield article that when he asked what the penalty was for and who it was against they wouldn't/couldn't tell him.

It was bad!

21 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Is Middlesboro any good? What kind of history do they have over there?

20 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

It's the county school in that area that is the bigger program so to speak, Bell County.  They haven't won very many titles, but they usually play pretty deep into the postseason yearly.

J. I. Burton 2023 football schedule.

8/25 Ridgeview               Away
9/1 Chilhowie               Home
9/8 Patrick Henry Glade               Home
9/15 Twin Springs               Away
9/29 Eastside               Home
10/6 Lee               Away
10/13 George Wythe               Home
10/20 Castlewood               Home
10/27 Rye Cove               Away
11/3 Thomas Walker               Away

GC played a scrimmage at Letcher County one year and it was awful. I saw players from all teams hit 4-5 yards out of bounds and nothing was called. That was GC's last trip there.

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

GC played a scrimmage at Letcher County one year and it was awful. I saw players from all teams hit 4-5 yards out of bounds and nothing was called. That was GC's last trip there.

Good luck at Middlesboro in 2024. Ya'll are gonna need it. I don't mean that Middlesboro is that good. The refs will find everyway they can to cheat Gate City out of it. 

8 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

Good luck at Middlesboro in 2024. Ya'll are gonna need it. I don't mean that Middlesboro is that good. The refs will find everyway they can to cheat Gate City out of it. 

You’d think that KY would fix this issue when out of state teams come over. Considering the issues their schools have scheduling games too.  There’s hardly any teams around here that will schedule games over there, and there is the possibility of some good geographic rivalries. 

Grayson County 2023 football schedule

8/25 Alleghany, NC               Away
9/1 Carroll County               Away
9/8 Rural Retreat               Away
9/15 Floyd County               Home
9/22 Giles               Away
10/6 Fort Chiswell               Home
10/13 Bluefield, WV               Home
10/20 Auburn               Away
10/27 George Wythe               Home
11/3 Galax               Home