Turf approved for all 3 Tazewell County Schools.

Real Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

Stu I've read that on here in past but ain't sure I agree with that all the way.  When Graham came to Raddy, they packed it.  I watched GMen play Richlands 4 years ago and 3/5ths of stands were full.  If one side holds 5,000, that's 3,000 home fans.  Some of it might be Mitchell Stadium.  If a side holds 5,000 and it's only 1/2 full, you still got 2500 people on that side but it looks like a small crowd.  I saw GMEN against teams other than Bluefield about 4 times in last 10 to 12 years.  Their side was always over 1/2 full.

I use to take pictures of every home/away crowd that we played. I'm not saying it's a bad crowd but we usually had more than the Graham faithful had at mitchell

6 hours ago, ghs73 said:

Most of you younger folks do not rember when graham's field had bleachers on the side opposite the school which were overall bigger than Tazewell visitors. They also had a smaller set close to the school.it was used for little league play. Even had a score board and concession stand.

Well, since I'm not one of those younger folks, I remember it well.  Those old wooden bleachers, I was afraid I would fall through when I was a youngster.

27 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Well just heard that tickets for all co schools are going to be $8 this year. Now we know how the funding for the fields is happening lol

Yeah, that football money has to pay for basically all of the other sports except for maybe basketball.  I doubt any of that would go towards a stadium.  Without Booster money, the amount collect for admission wouldn't cover operational costs, paying for the refs, etc...

28 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I use to take pictures of every home/away crowd that we played. I'm not saying it's a bad crowd but we usually had more than the Graham faithful had at mitchell

Tazewell travels well, this is true and has always been true.  Tazewell has stuck with their team through good and bad times.

Graham travels well to big games.  The State games, if away, usually draw a big contingent from Graham.

Being somewhat of a Graham fan and a Tazewell fan, I see it this way.

Graham used to travel well when the competition level within the district was more evenly matched - perhaps traveling better then most of the others in the district, I remember some sizable crowds from Bluefield. (  70's and 80's  ....yes, I've been around a while_...Seems as if Graham of around 1989 to about 2004 was dominant and a lot of the fans quit going to district games, figuring they wouldn't be competitive.  Then Graham became a cellar dwellar from about 2007-2014 and fans didn't go figuring it wasn't a good product on the field.  I think they were disgruntled with what was going on with the program.  The Graham crowds have gotten better lately, but I think some of the games aren't traveled well again because Graham has been dominating the district.  That's how I see it anyway.  They will show up in force come playoff time.  Having a very good ball team has some pros and cons.  I expect a huge crowd from Graham for the Bluefield game this year.  I think the largest crowd I've seen at that game was around 14,000.  Standing room only around the fences.  

Look at it this way.  Graham brings more fans to one game, then some teams bring for an entire season.  Not everybody goes to every game.  Some folks only make it to one or 2 games.  The Graham folks make sure that they make it to the big one.  It's hard to have the biggest game of the season as the first game.  It's like playing a state title game in game 1.  The fans show back up come playoff time.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Tazewell travels well, this is true and has always been true.  Tazewell has stuck with their team through good and bad times.

Graham travels well to big games.  The State games, if away, usually draw a big contingent from Graham.

Being somewhat of a Graham fan and a Tazewell fan, I see it this way.

Graham used to travel well when the competition level within the district was more evenly matched - perhaps traveling better then most of the others in the district, I remember some sizable crowds from Bluefield. (  70's and 80's  ....yes, I've been around a while_...Seems as if Graham of around 1989 to about 2004 was dominant and a lot of the fans quit going to district games, figuring they wouldn't be competitive.  Then Graham became a cellar dwellar from about 2007-2014 and fans didn't go figuring it wasn't a good product on the field.  I think they were disgruntled with what was going on with the program.  The Graham crowds have gotten better lately, but I think some of the games aren't traveled well again because Graham has been dominating the district.  That's how I see it anyway.  They will show up in force come playoff time.  Having a very good ball team has some pros and cons.  I expect a huge crowd from Graham for the Bluefield game this year.  I think the largest crowd I've seen at that game was around 14,000.  Standing room only around the fences.  

Look at it this way.  Graham brings more fans to one game, then some teams bring for an entire season.  Not everybody goes to every game.  Some folks only make it to one or 2 games.  The Graham folks make sure that they make it to the big one.  It's hard to have the biggest game of the season as the first game.  It's like playing a state title game in game 1.  The fans show back up come playoff time.

I am traveling from staunton for the big game Graham beaver 

In my observation over the years, besides the Beaver game, Graham rarely/if ever has a bigger crowd than Tazewell or Richlands. As a generalization, Tazewell typically is the most steady, and Richlands fills the stands best when times are good. Graham does attend big games fairly well. That said, I don’t know if the Bulldog faithful is a testament of their fans or an indication of their results. It’s been a long time since they fielded a serious contender to spoil their fans. Richlands and Graham has experienced more extremes in terms of success and disappointment. 
I also believe Graham’s playoff attendance is more of a testament to SWVA fans than just Graham. I’ve attended my share of playoff games and noticed hats and shirts of other SWVA schools in attendance.

8 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I also believe Graham’s playoff attendance is more of a testament to SWVA fans than just Graham. I’ve attended my share of playoff games and noticed hats and shirts of other SWVA schools in attendance.

Ive been up for a few games myself. Come playoff time SWVA really comes out to watch good games, you always see a lot of schools represented

One major problem thing that is being forgotten with this new turf at Graham is inadequate lighting. (if the lighting is even still there). It’s my understanding the new turf for GHS will be lined for soccer as well (no more east river mountain soccer complex). It will also include a new track.  

58 minutes ago, Gunz9 said:

One major problem thing that is being forgotten with this new turf at Graham is inadequate lighting. (if the lighting is even still there). It’s my understanding the new turf for GHS will be lined for soccer as well (no more east river mountain soccer complex). It will also include a new track.  

If Bluefield, VA, is building a stadium/bleachers/parking/concessions around the new field, I guess the lighting system and sound system and press box are a part of the total cost, could be wrong though.

I hope Graham can construct an on-campus stadium; however, recent double-digit inflation could make this project unfeasible. The proposed 4,500 seat stadium at Graham MS had a cost estimate of $6 million in 2018. Comparable, no-frills stadium projects in Ohio and South Carolina have cost estimates of $9.3 and 10.1 million, respectively. 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I hope Graham can construct an on-campus stadium; however, recent double-digit inflation could make this project unfeasible. The proposed 4,500 seat stadium at Graham MS had a cost estimate of $6 million in 2018. Comparable, no-frills stadium projects in Ohio and South Carolina have cost estimates of $9.3 and 10.1 million, respectively. 

I mentioned this at that time years ago on this board when it came up. If any school is building or adding on, that now (2017-18) when the economy was doing well was the time, and if a town or school waits, there could be problems because the economy could take a hit. Covid and Inflation have now caused that statement to be on point. I get a whole lot of statements wrong as reminded by my wife daily, but I was on point with this one....kind of. Could still be wrong if Bluefield gets this built in these economic times.