Richlands @ Union

UnionGuy2017

What used to be “the game” but is now only a game takes place Friday night. I saw a lot of what I wanted to see from Union in Ben Hur so I feel good about our chances. Unions front 7 should dominate this game defensively with enough support in the secondary to hold down the skies. 

Offensively, Keith Chandler is a name to remember. There is a lot of talk about much improved passing game this season but Chandler may be the offensive MVP. 

Fun fact, Richlands has only beaten Union 3 times since 2011. Who would have thought that after 2012?

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

What used to be “the game” but is now only a game takes place Friday night. I saw a lot of what I wanted to see from Union in Ben Hur so I feel good about our chances. Unions front 7 should dominate this game defensively with enough support in the secondary to hold down the skies. 

Offensively, Keith Chandler is a name to remember. There is a lot of talk about much improved passing game this season but Chandler may be the offensive MVP. 

Fun fact, Richlands has only beaten Union 3 times since 2011. Who would have thought that after 2012?

Its not happening this year either. They have 5 seniors and maybe 4 juniors on the team. Theyre small everywhere

This game was a measuring stick for both teams. Better get things cleaned up after week 1 because you knew you were going to get smashed in the mouth in week 2.

I really feel for Richlands' players and fans. Down cycles are tough. Always been a lot of mutual respect.

Before consolidation, Appy and PV were shells of their former selves. It was hard to watch.

I think Union rolls again this week, but hoping for a safe and injury free game on both sides. Safe travels to the Blues!

My take last night watching Blues on NFHS while listening to Loris online.  

When it's 3rd and short and your deep in your opponent's side of field, I would have liked to see the Blues QB go under center, get a big push by O line,  convert and have 4 more downs to work with.  The Blues are in a dilemma, with some starters playing both ways.   Ron said it was 83 degrees game time, but humidity on field 92.  I thought the Blues defensively,  played well in the 1st half, but the heat took a toll,  with starters playing both ways.  I saw a couple plays where QB locked in on certain wideout, and there were others in open space.  Being a sophomore and playing 1st game as QB has its growing moments.  I think the learning curve for him and his aptitude  will grow with each game.  

A Blues fan, from several miles away, but heart close to Ernie Hicks Field on Friday nights. 

GO BLUES!!!! 

3 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Chandler if healthy is gonna be a beast next 3 seasons.  Couple of his long runs last night I saw Lee players looking for a Union blocker so they didn’t have to try and make a tackle lol!!!

1 hour ago, Duke2015 said:

Chandler if healthy is gonna be a beast next 3 seasons.  Couple of his long runs last night I saw Lee players looking for a Union blocker so they didn’t have to try and make a tackle lol!!!

On the long run that he had called back for holding one of the Lee DB’s had an angle on him and decided to try to lower the shoulder on him. 

you could tell he immediately regretted that decision. 

I honestly don’t think Richlands will come close to even scoring in this one unless union just feels sorry for them. They got a long road ahead of them this season. & it seems to me they ain’t got much community support anymore either. I heard gate city folks in a restaurant Friday night talking about how Richlands bleachers looked empty compared to usual. That’s sad and I feel for the kids if that’s true. That’s one thing I can say about Tazewell, they never have to worry about support. I remember the years they went 1-9 and 0-10 and still was full every home game. 

On 8/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, Westisthebest said:

Its not happening this year either. They have 5 seniors and maybe 4 juniors on the team. Theyre small everywhere

Totaly agree with this.  Richlands is young and inexperienced.  Always a Blues fan, but I live in reality, and something that stood out to me was the lack of playing the younger players on the bench in the forth quarter when the ggame was totally out of reach for them to get experience.  I'm old school and may have missed something, but heard the radio announcer say Richlands only played around 15 players all night.  Been around long enough to know that sometimes you have to look beyond the down years to the future and allow the losess to fall where they may to concentrate on building the program.  In the tough competition in SWVA you're not going to win 2A games by playing 1A type ball.  Playing the majority of players both ways in the SWD just doesn't work, and not to critize anyone because maybe I don't know, but why in the heck don't we play those inexperienced players and build on next year?  If I'm missing something, someone plaease straighten me out!!!

2 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Totaly agree with this.  Richlands is young and inexperienced.  Always a Blues fan, but I live in reality, and something that stood out to me was the lack of playing the younger players on the bench in the forth quarter when the ggame was totally out of reach for them to get experience.  I'm old school and may have missed something, but heard the radio announcer say Richlands only played around 15 players all night.  Been around long enough to know that sometimes you have to look beyond the down years to the future and allow the losess to fall where they may to concentrate on building the program.  In the tough competition in SWVA you're not going to win 2A games by playing 1A type ball.  Playing the majority of players both ways in the SWD just doesn't work, and not to critize anyone because maybe I don't know, but why in the heck don't we play those inexperienced players and build on next year?  If I'm missing something, someone plaease straighten me out!!!

If Richlands wants to build their program back get all those young guys as much as experience as you can this year. It’s stupid to play only 15 players when you’re not winning and have no hope of winning. Tarter needs to look at the big picture for next season n& season after that. I’m no coach but only playing 15 is dumb. Start rotating those kids out. 

10 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

I honestly don’t think Richlands will come close to even scoring in this one unless union just feels sorry for them. They got a long road ahead of them this season. & it seems to me they ain’t got much community support anymore either. I heard gate city folks in a restaurant Friday night talking about how Richlands bleachers looked empty compared to usual. That’s sad and I feel for the kids if that’s true. That’s one thing I can say about Tazewell, they never have to worry about support. I remember the years they went 1-9 and 0-10 and still was full every home game. 

Tazewell supports their programs and kids, regardless of a losing season, this is something I’ve noticed through the years. Richlands could  take a page out of their book, we can be some fair weather fans and the kids suffer. They certainly do not deserve that lack of community support. 

5 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

I thought Richlands had a good crowd Friday night, since I sat right in the middle of them. But there was no fire from the crowd or the team that you’ve seen in the years past.

I thought it was decent/average as well. Per another thread, it pales in comparison to what we come to expect during the years of success and packed houses.

5 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I thought it was decent/average as well. Per another thread, it pales in comparison to what we come to expect during the years of success and packed houses.

I guess that’s what they were referring to as they were older folks. I support the blues as long as it ain’t against tazewell. Us tazewell folks know how it is to be “the losing team”. & like bleed blue said they don’t deserve not to be supported. These kids win or lose put in a lot of blood sweat and tears and deserve to have a crowd on Friday nights cheering them on win or lose. 

13 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I noticed the reserved section was almost empty and that must be reserved for all the fair weather fans who are season ticket holders.  Some don't understand that the players are still trying every down, and practicing hard throughout the week.  It's easy to cheer when the wins are stacking up, and most want to be on the winning side, but when the team is loosing, the support needs to be even bigger, but not at good old RHS.  We have become a spoiled fan base, and if the team wins we say, "Hey, we won" but if they loose we say "Well they lost".  funny how we disconnect from the team when it's a loss.  These players need all the support we can give them.  You have to admire the Bulldawg fan base for giving everyone a good example of this very thing.  When Tazewell plays at home, win or loose, you can't tell the difference in fan attendance.

We all need to do better as Blues Fans and let the players know we have their back and will be True Blues Fans no matter the outcome of the game.

Finally, I get around to watching Union vs Lee.  Union looks pretty dam* good out there.  QB is something else.  To me personally, totally one guys opinion only, Union is slightly Better than King William, Central, Riverheads, and Radford.  I haven't seen Poquoson or enough of Appo to make a call.  I think Graham does look 7 points better than Union right now.   It's early and yes, Lee is hard to make a judgement call because Lee is not very good, but Union looks very good imo.  There's a possibility that the second best Class 2 team in the state is Not in Region A, B, or C.  That team might be in Region D.  I think if Union played Radford, they would pulverize them on the ground, and Union looks equal to Central Woodstock on the line of scrimmage, but more athletic overall.  Just my take.

Lots of football left.  Tons of it.  It's game 2 coming up, but if Union could somehow get by Graham in Region D, they may actually be last team remaining when the show is over.  All of those other teams mentioned above are very good, but Union is right there with them this year imo.

29 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Finally, I get around to watching Union vs Lee.  Union looks pretty dam* good out there.  QB is something else.  To me personally, totally one guys opinion only, Union is slightly Better than King William, Central, Riverheads, and Radford.  I haven't seen Poquoson or enough of Appo to make a call.  I think Graham does look 7 points better than Union right now.   It's early and yes, Lee is hard to make a judgement call because Lee is not very good, but Union looks very good imo.  There's a possibility that the second best Class 2 team in the state is Not in Region A, B, or C.  That team might be in Region D.  I think if Union played Radford, they would pulverize them on the ground, and Union looks equal to Central Woodstock on the line of scrimmage, but more athletic overall.  Just my take.

Lots of football left.  Tons of it.  It's game 2 coming up, but if Union could somehow get by Graham in Region D, they may actually be last team remaining when the show is over.  All of those other teams mentioned above are very good, but Union is right there with them this year imo.

The QB looks completely different from last season.  Kid must've went to a few camps or something.  Lot better mechanics and zip on the ball

54 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

The QB looks completely different from last season.  Kid must've went to a few camps or something.  Lot better mechanics and zip on the ball

He spent a lot of time at E&H I am told. The defense is where it's at on this squad, VERY impressive.

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is what I'm seeing as well. Watching scrimmages/jamborees/benefit games over all these years, I'm seeing a very good team this year. Quiet confidence and a little swagger.

Also, young! Starting 5-6 sophomores( 2, 4, 7, 11, 28, 60 , 71) on each side of the ball depending on formation.

O-Line is young in experience. If they come along, the Bears have the potential to be dangerous come November.

Edited by Union_Fan
Typo

27 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is what I'm seeing as well. Watching scrimmages/jamborees/benefit games over all these years, I'm seeing a very good team this year. Quiet confidence and a little swagger.

Also, young! Starting 5-6 sophomores( 2, 4, 7, 11, 24, 60 , 71) on each side of the ball depending on formation.

O-Line is young in experience. If they come along, the Bears have the potential to be dangerous come November.

Agree but I think the next 2 seasons will be the years to contend for a title, still too young now imo.  Also gonna have to find a kicker because from what I saw Friday the special teams is gonna be a problem