Week 3 Scores

Unchained

Most surprising scores of the night for me.  I didn't think Rye Cove would play Honaker that close.  I knew Union was good to give Science Hill the battle they did, but two most surprising scores in Virginia Class 1 and 2 for me were

1.  Rustburg (Class 3) beating Draft that bad on the Road In the Rain

2. Appo in their loss to Heritage by a score of only 20-6.  Rustburg beat Appo 22 or 23-6 last week.

Rustburg is obviously very, very good  Appo might be much better than many thought.  I watched them against Heritage.   Their defense is scary.  Holding Rustburg to 22 or 23 pts and holding Heritage to 20 stands out to me   Heritage has beat Appo by scores of 56-13ish and 50-14ish the last 2 seasons.  I think Appomattox might be slightly better this year than the last 2 years.

Mount view/Braxton -fast forward to 2:31 min left in 3rd quarter.  This is when it goes bad!!!!!! Officials declared a double forfeit. https://www.youtube.com/live/w9zK12trOqg?si=_eG_IONbHKjgcM_a

Craziness! It was obviously instigated by Mountview player. I wonder why they just didn’t call the game & Braxton wins instead of a double forfeit??? 

30 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Mount view/Braxton -fast forward to 2:31 min left in 3rd quarter.  This is when it goes bad!!!!!! Officials declared a double forfeit. https://www.youtube.com/live/w9zK12trOqg?si=_eG_IONbHKjgcM_a

Craziness! It was obviously instigated by Mountview player. I wonder why they just didn’t call the game & Braxton wins instead of a double forfeit??? 

I’m with you on that I don’t see how it can be called a double forfeit. Mount view started getting chippy on the touchdown before. 

42 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

You mean by a Braxton player.

4 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

You mean by a Braxton player.

Looked like Mountview player but Braxton could have thrown the first punch. I’ll have to pull it up on the TV to get better view. Either way, why not just call the game instead of a double forfeit?

7 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I’m with you on that I don’t see how it can be called a double forfeit. Mount view started getting chippy on the touchdown before. 

Yeah, they were. Then some of them ripping off their pads. What in the world? 

8 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm taking my Frosty on this one.  I said Graham wouldn't be up by 35 points at any time tonight over Wytheville, so I had some crow, but I'm washing it down with Frosty.  I said BBurg gets at least one this year with a decent chance of getting 2 wins.

Obviously Graham is really good but been trying to say GW is down this year.

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

The officials in West Virginia who called a double forfeit should never work again this year.  Should be suspended for the rest of the season.  Why?  Several Mount View Cheap Shots that were allowed to happen.  The Mount View "assault" in the endzone on a touchdown run?  Player should have been kicked out of game.  Mount View should have had 2-3 ejections long before the incident on the kickoff occured.  The officials let Mount View throw cheap shots and late hits through most of the game until one Braxton County player lost it and he should have been tossed also.  

Braxton dominated them and their actions didn't warrant a double forfeit, but the actions of the officials warrants not working again this season.  If I were Braxton County, I would lawyer up in a hurry here.  Just my opinions.  

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

#32 would be off of my team if I were the coach. Unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

He will be starting next time he's allowed to play and probably a captain. Mount View's problem is coaching and discipline. They should be competing for state titles every single year in single A with the athletes they have year in and year out. It's sad to see.

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

💯 %! I don’t know who the head coach is but I hold him partially responsible. The kid is to blame for his actions but something’s not right with the “culture” At Mount View if the players were behaving badly the entire game. Then ripping off pads and thinking a brawl is some kind of joke. 

6 minutes ago, CPF said:

He will be starting next time he's allowed to play and probably a captain. Mount View's problem is coaching and discipline. They should be competing for state titles every single year in single A with the athletes they have year in and year out. It's sad to see.

5 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

💯 %! I don’t know who the head coach is but I hold him partially responsible. The kid is to blame for his actions but something’s not right with the “culture” At Mount View if the players were behaving badly the entire game. Then ripping off pads and thinking a brawl is some kind of joke. 

Also to be completely fair #7 (I think) seemed to be the only one on the sideline to have a problem with his actions, so respect to him. Sad to see the kid have more accountability than his adult coaches. 

20 minutes ago, CPF said:

He would be starting at some other schools next week as well.

BHC called the honaker and rye cove game a heavyweight fight but little do they remember a year or two ago Honaker’s qb was in the middle of an actual brawl against Castlewood in a basketball game

On 9/9/2023 at 12:03 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Most surprising scores of the night for me.  I didn't think Rye Cove would play Honaker that close.  I knew Union was good to give Science Hill the battle they did, but two most surprising scores in Virginia Class 1 and 2 for me were

1.  Rustburg (Class 3) beating Draft that bad on the Road In the Rain

2. Appo in their loss to Heritage by a score of only 20-6.  Rustburg beat Appo 22 or 23-6 last week.

Rustburg is obviously very, very good  Appo might be much better than many thought.  I watched them against Heritage.   Their defense is scary.  Holding Rustburg to 22 or 23 pts and holding Heritage to 20 stands out to me   Heritage has beat Appo by scores of 56-13ish and 50-14ish the last 2 seasons.  I think Appomattox might be slightly better this year than the last 2 years.

I wondered about the Appo/Heritage game myself.

Looks like Heritage had over 230 rushing yards, but 3 turnovers.

They obviously moved the ball well, but the turnovers might have contributed to the low score.

3 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

If Appomattox loses a 3rd game l think it’ll knock them out of having 2 home games in the post season. Don’t see them outpointong Radford or Glenvar in 2C. I think one of them finishes 10-0 and the other 9-1.

Doesn't matter. They will beat either in the playoffs. In Salem. In Radford. In the parking lot. They're just better. And it'll be that way until they prove it.

12 minutes ago, CPF said:

Doesn't matter. They will beat either in the playoffs. In Salem. In Radford. In the parking lot. They're just better. And it'll be that way until they prove it.

Bingo. If I'm Graham/Union fan, I'm looking at Appos power rating through the season. "Do we host or do we travel in game 14 with Appo"? Sounds disrespectful, but until Glenvar/Radford beats em, I believe Graham fans don't take Raford/Glenvar at 9-1 or 10-0 with much seriousness. Can't blame em either.