Gate City @ Union

UnionGuy2017

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Union might want to get those reservations for Salem , lol! 

looks like they're the team to beat in the M7,   the Ridgeview game will be the best game of the season it looks like,   surprisingly tonight Abingdon is playing with TH  though!!!

4 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

looks like they're the team to beat in the M7,   the Ridgeview game will be the best game of the season it looks like,   surprisingly tonight Abingdon is playing with TH  though!!!

Looks like they’re the team to beat in Region D not just M7.

5 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Without Chandler the U offense looked like it lacked direction,  he's their bell cow for sure

Definitely looked bad without him hopefully it’s just hyperextended but we’ll know more tomorrow I guess 

40 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Correction after the latest fumble that’s 8

8 sounds right not counting the ridiculous amount of penalties, after first quarter they just starting going thru the motions.  Will not beat Ridgeview or Abingdon with the effort given tonight 

Obviously PLENTY of sloppy play tonight and improvement opportunities. However, I wanna give a shout-out to some positives. The defense was put in several sudden change situations and in bad field position but obviously didn’t allow a point. They held gate city to less than 100 yards and only 6 first downs. 3 of those coming by penalty. 

16 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Obviously PLENTY of sloppy play tonight and improvement opportunities. However, I wanna give a shout-out to some positives. The defense was put in several sudden change situations and in bad field position but obviously didn’t allow a point. They held gate city to less than 100 yards and only 6 first downs. 3 of those coming by penalty. 

That defense is playing maybe as good as the 17 team.  Looking like the offense is gonna be decided by if Chandler is healthy.  Special teams is dreadful, need to just go for 2 rest of the way and just kick the damn thing out of bounds on kickoffs and give them the ball at the 35.

I don't get the pooch kickoffs. You'd think someone could at least kick a line drive towards the goal line.

Maybe they just have that much faith in the defense. They'd rather the opposing team start at the 40 than take a chance on return for a TD. Who knows?

Really need to work on the XPs or just go for 2.

Special teams could end up costing Union in a close game that really matters. 

Can’t kick a FG in a slugfest low scoring game, not reliable on PAT and kickoffs are a mess. In a close game all that matters and Union does not of it well. 

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't get the pooch kickoffs. You'd think someone could at least kick a line drive towards the goal line.

Maybe they just have that much faith in the defense. They'd rather the opposing team start at the 40 than take a chance on return for a TD. Who knows?

Really need to work on the XPs or just go for 2.

I wondered if the pooch kicks last week to Graham were intentional which was probably smart or if the kid just couldn’t kick it well. Our kicker didn’t do well on FGs last week so I really have no place to question yours. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I wondered if the pooch kicks last week to Graham were intentional which was probably smart or if the kid just couldn’t kick it well. Our kicker didn’t do well on FGs last week so I really have no place to question yours. 

We have no kicker. The one from last didn't come back out. They've tried several kids and multiple tactics since the first scrimmage.

None have been consistent. What you saw against Graham is what we've done weekly. Big weak spot for sure!

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Just to follow up on Chandler.. he’s fine. Turners quote from the paper said he could have went back in and he was actually “begging” to go in and play some more. 

I’d sit him next week too but I’m sure he’ll play 

41 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

I’d sit him next week too but I’m sure he’ll play 

I wouldn’t play anyone more than a half if I didn’t have to next week. Long trip, RV the next week, etc.  almost to the bye so let’s get healthy for RV then regroup to close it out.  Keith gotta be 100% for RV if they wanna chance to win. And he needs to be playing defense as well, he’s so important there to set the tone. 

1 hour ago, CriticalNoise said:

Speaking of turnovers, the pass to huff should’ve been ruled incomplete, rather than a fumble. 
that’s just from my eyes at the scoreboard end zone anyways. I never thought he had sole possession of the ball

I was at fence and didn’t think he caught it either.  But it happened so fast and haven’t seen replay