Gate City @ Union

UnionGuy2017

I went to the Gate City vs Marion game last night. Gate City’s not too bad. Questionable play calling. 

#41 for GC is tough and they should give him the ball more often. 

Quarterback had some good passes and some were forced. 

I would say Union 35, Gate City 14. 

GC has some decent skill players. The QB might be better at avoiding the sack and running than he is at passing, even though he's a fairly accurate passer.

The line is undersized and not as strong as last year. That's their weak spot.

The results of last year's games will be fresh on the minds of the Bears. Normally, it might be hard to get up for 3 big games in a row, but those losses will be all the motivation they need.

I'm hoping for a 35-7 type game for the home team.

Normally after the huge win last night, I'd be screaming trap game, but if our kids can't get motivated by playing the team that ended their season last year, then I don't know what else could. A fired-up Union squad at home is a tough out. 27-13 Bears.

As someone stated above, the spot that Gate City attacked last year and had so much success with is no longer there. 

Pair that with an improved secondary/LB core to match with the RPO’s, and I feel confident in Union. 

this game is also WCYB’s Friday Night Rivals. 

The fun thing for fans about rivalries is the teams' current records and recent performances are often not very accurate barometers for predicting results. I think both Union and Gate City will be correctly preparing for this game to be a really tough pad popper; and I believe it's likely to be a close one. Remember that Gate City has won the last two match ups and both teams have a lot of the same personnel.

Union's offense used 7 sophomores on the field at the same time last week and, although these young kids are very talented, they are more prone to make mistakes and more prone to fatigue than more mature, more experienced, players. If Gate City can wear the Bears down, I think they can win - but they can't let Union get a big lead. The Bears have a sleuth of skill players. I think it will be an enjoyable game and another big game atmosphere at fabled Bullitt Park!

5 hours ago, FBDevotee said:

The fun thing for fans about rivalries is the teams' current records and recent performances are often not very accurate barometers for predicting results. I think both Union and Gate City will be correctly preparing for this game to be a really tough pad popper; and I believe it's likely to be a close one. Remember that Gate City has won the last two match ups and both teams have a lot of the same personnel.

Union's offense used 7 sophomores on the field at the same time last week and, although these young kids are very talented, they are more prone to make mistakes and more prone to fatigue than more mature, more experienced, players. If Gate City can wear the Bears down, I think they can win - but they can't let Union get a big lead. The Bears have a sleuth of skill players. I think it will be an enjoyable game and another big game atmosphere at fabled Bullitt Park!

Union plays a TON of underclassmen. The cupboard is plenty full for next couple years.  But with 2D being wide open, Bears need to be focused on making this year count. Beat GC and then get healthy and be ready for RV. 

58 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union plays a TON of underclassmen. The cupboard is plenty full for next couple years.  But with 2D being wide open, Bears need to be focused on making this year count. Beat GC and then get healthy and be ready for RV. 

Especially because the entire East is down. Poqouson, King William, Riverheads, Draft, Clarke, Central...no way imo these are beating Union or Graham (if they get healthy). That leaves Union to focus on winning D, and imo, the state title is Region D vs Region C.  Just my opinion.... not only is the East down, it's the worst I've ever seen it and that's not hyperbole, but only an opinion, but I'm telling ya man, the East in Class 2 is DOWN. 

Odds are, the East won't be this down again for 2 years in a row. Appo is actually pretty young.  This is Union's year to win it. Not saying the next two can't also be their year because they might be, but there won't be a year like 2023 where the East just seems to have little chance of beating the West in the title game. Odds are, there will be much more resistance in 2024 and 25 from the East. Two teams stand in Union and Grahams way to a state title imo. Those teams are Graham/Union against each other in the region, and the region C winner whoever that team turns out to be. 

If Union wins 8 quarters (Graham game 2) and the Region C winner, they win a state title.

The above are purely my opinions and a guess. They aren't facts. Just giving my take from watching em all on NFHS this year and compared to previous years.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Especially because the entire East is down. Poqouson, King William, Riverheads, Draft, Clarke, Central...no way imo these are beating Union or Graham (if they get healthy). That leaves Union to focus on winning D, and imo, the state title is Region D vs Region C.  Just my opinion.... not only is the East down, it's the worst I've ever seen it and that's not hyperbole, but only an opinion, but I'm telling ya man, the East in Class 2 is DOWN. 

Odds are, the East won't be this down again for 2 years in a row. Appo is actually pretty young.  This is Union's year to win it. Not saying the next two can't also be their year because they might be, but there won't be a year like 2023 where the East just seems to have little chance of beating the West in the title game. Odds are, there will be much more resistance in 2024 and 25 from the East. Two teams stand in Union and Grahams way to a state title imo. Those teams are Graham/Union against each other in the region, and the region C winner whoever that team turns out to be. 

If Union wins 8 quarters (Graham game 2) and the Region C winner, they win a state title.

The above are purely my opinions and a guess. They aren't facts. Just giving my take from watching em all on NFHS this year and compared to previous years.

Clarke is 4-0 and killing folks. They hammered us a few yrs ago in the semis. Whoever makes it out of here had best not take the boys from Berryhill lightly.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

They still running the spin series single wing?

They are still winging it. Clarke is small man. The team that beat Union was just better imo than this years Clarke team who apparently has their best team in a while. I watched Clarke on NFHS. They just don't look that good to me. Their line coming off the ball doesn't even look in the same league as Union. Clarkes 4 opponents combined record this year is 2 wins, 8 losses, and 1 tie. They play a team from Maryland in 2 weeks that is 1-2, so Clarke will be likely be 5-0 when Woodstock comes to town. 

Just my $0.02 on the game Gate City is banged up a little and Union is hot and coming off a huge win (Congrats Bears!) talent wins games but last year GC outcoached Union twice! I think Union is the better team but it is a rivalry game and anything can happen..

Union 21-Gate City 20...

19 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I worry about teams that are stout at the LOS and can get athletes in space, SH really was able to wear Union down and then gash them. I don’t know if any 2D team has that kind of depth but Union is far from unbeatable. I’d like to see the passing game develop a bit more, Union has an absolutely loaded WR group. The run game gets the press and rightfully so (no one enjoys tackling Keith Chandler I promise) but if Union has punish loaded boxes by attacking middle of the field with Huff, Bostic, Bunch and Anderson (brother), it’ll be a tough night for a defense. 

That is the one thing I’ve not seen Union develop much, passing in the middle of the field. With so much Skill talent, if they can consistently hit slants and in routes to go with the deep balls, no reason they shouldn’t score 40 points per game. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I worry about teams that are stout at the LOS and can get athletes in space, SH really was able to wear Union down and then gash them. I don’t know if any 2D team has that kind of depth but Union is far from unbeatable. I’d like to see the passing game develop a bit more, Union has an absolutely loaded WR group. The run game gets the press and rightfully so (no one enjoys tackling Keith Chandler I promise) but if Union has punish loaded boxes by attacking middle of the field with Huff, Bostic, Bunch and Anderson (brother), it’ll be a tough night for a defense. 

That is the one thing I’ve not seen Union develop much, passing in the middle of the field. With so much Skill talent, if they can consistently hit slants and in routes to go with the deep balls, no reason they shouldn’t score 40 points per game. 

Last slant Union threw was what 2017 lol

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Last slant Union threw was what 2017 lol

Sounds bout right lol. They hit a nice post to Huff in the middle of the field in the SH game I believe and we were kind of agape, it was so unusual lol. 

Reyshawn been in the program for four years now, Travis gotta trust him to make the right decision. I do.