Richlands

Blue Tornado

Watching the game last night I noticed that none of the boys are very big seems like when I was in school (2003-2007) the boys were bigger I heard that the team was mostly made up of sophomores and freshman. What do you all think the problem with Richlands is these days and what will it take to get them back to being competitive?

From an outsider perspective, I think having mostly freshmen & sophomores is probably part of it but I also think Tarter doesn’t have enough help to coach the boys up. I think he’s probably in a frustrating position trying to rebuild a once stellar program which was going down somewhat prior to Mance leaving regardless of what others say. Everyone wants to put all the blame on Tarter & I think it a multitude of things. I’m not sure how the strength & conditioning part of the program is run but that could play into it too. How you fix the direction of the program is above my pay grade! 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

From an outsider perspective, I think having mostly freshmen & sophomores is probably part of it but I also think Tarter doesn’t have enough help to coach the boys up. I think he’s probably in a frustrating position trying to rebuild a once stellar program which was going down somewhat prior to Mance leaving regardless of what others say. Everyone wants to put all the blame on Tarter & I think it a multitude of things. I’m not sure how the strength & conditioning part of the program is run but that could play into it too. How you fix the direction of the program is above my pay grade! 

Union has a spare coach or two 

I've spoken with Coach a couple of times over the past couple of years and he doesn't have enough help.  He does have the S&C program going but it hurts to lose several All-district/All-region caliber players to the "transfer portal".  I think a big problem is that they can't find a dynamic QB and they are switching offenses yearly.  Offense isn't coach's forte.....he is more a special teams/positional coach.  He needs an energy injection in his coaching staff.  I think Richlands is ripe for a OC or DC to come in and really sink their teeth into it.  It is my alma mater and I considered jumping in and helping out a couple of years ago but wasn't ready to leave my current job.  In a couple of years, I'd definitely jump if I get another offer.  If I do, I'll go 110%. 

25 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I've spoken with Coach a couple of times over the past couple of years and he doesn't have enough help.  He does have the S&C program going but it hurts to lose several All-district/All-region caliber players to the "transfer portal".  I think a big problem is that they can't find a dynamic QB and they are switching offenses yearly.  Offense isn't coach's forte.....he is more a special teams/positional coach.  He needs an energy injection in his coaching staff.  I think Richlands is ripe for a OC or DC to come in and really sink their teeth into it.  It is my alma mater and I considered jumping in and helping out a couple of years ago but wasn't ready to leave my current job.  In a couple of years, I'd definitely jump if I get another offer.  If I do, I'll go 110%. 

Not to toot your horn but you’d be a great addition. You’ve got a great football mind. 

What goes on the field Friday usually reflects what happened from December to August! There are no magic formulas but there are recipes that must be mixed appropriately. They won't be down forever. They have to figure a way to grow what they've got and not worry about who leaves. Easier said than done,  but there are still people and resources that haven't been found out utilized yet. Good luck blues, stay the course. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Did it hurt when you were getting all these transfers from the "transfer portal"

5 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Oh it helped your team...but now it's reversed....and I'm no kid 

So what?  What is your point or contribution to the subject other than a snarky comment?  Has Richlands been on the plus side of transfers before?  Yes.  But, the topic here is what the hell is going on with Richlands now....at this current moment.  Part of their current problem is that some of their home-grown talent flew the coop.  

So once again, what it is your point, guy. 

On 9/23/2023 at 9:59 PM, fishfan said:

He (Tarter) only has help that McGhee allows

And herein lies the problem. It's all political and it has a lot to do with JM.  Sometimes when something is broken, the only way to fix it is to get rid of it and start over.  Not saying that is the answer, but if it works, it may have to happen.  I wish the best for coach Tarter, he is relatively a good guy, but he's gotten himself into a mess trying to please the higher ups IMO.

9 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

So what?  What is your point or contribution to the subject other than a snarky comment?  Has Richlands been on the plus side of transfers before?  Yes.  But, the topic here is what the hell is going on with Richlands now....at this current moment.  Part of their current problem is that some of their home-grown talent flew the coop.  

So once again, what it is your point, guy. 

My point is....deal with it...shoes on other foot now....guy lol...you from the jersey shore or Richlands lol

I will say this. The hiring of Thad Wells set the program back at least a decade, if not more. Wells was never going to stay past 3 years before he jumped (look for him to leave LCA soon too). Now I am not saying Wells is not a good coach, but he did not bring anything new or innovative that Mance hadn't already done, so he didn't move the program forward or even laterally, just slightly back. And I know it was the Covid spring season, but that team did not look great. Plus, that pushed out Ronnie Davis, who should have gotten the job. Snake Palmer might have even come back from Graham at that point. This could have been avoided long ago. Tarter is a great Special Teams coach, positional coach, and assistant, not a head coach. So, assuming he resigns at season's end since high school coaches rarely get straight up fired, who even applies for 2024? And who does the county even consider given the politics? 

8 minutes ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

I will say this. The hiring of Thad Wells set the program back at least a decade, if not more. Wells was never going to stay past 3 years before he jumped (look for him to leave LCA soon too). Now I am not saying Wells is not a good coach, but he did not bring anything new or innovative that Mance hadn't already done, so he didn't move the program forward or even laterally, just slightly back. And I know it was the Covid spring season, but that team did not look great. Plus, that pushed out Ronnie Davis, who should have gotten the job. Snake Palmer might have even come back from Graham at that point. This could have been avoided long ago. Tarter is a great Special Teams coach, positional coach, and assistant, not a head coach. So, assuming he resigns at season's end since high school coaches rarely get straight up fired, who even applies for 2024? And who does the county even consider given the politics? 

Maybe Ronnie Davis??? Would he even consider it though? I don’t see Snake going back to Richlands regardless if Davis is the coach. 

The gentlemen SwvaOG would be the perfect hire and I'm dead serous on that.  You know how many of us fans get on message boards and we sometimes give posts that seems like we could actually be the coach or do a good job when 99% of the time it would go the other way and we wouldn't do well.  Well, SwvaOG is in the 1% that would do well.  I know his brother and know him some, vaguely.  I know that he absolutely knows football, and not just knows it, knows it a higher level that a gigantic chunk of other HS Coaches in Virginia.  You also have someone that has lived abroad/away from here, and is knowledgeable of modern day offenses that would look way different than 99% of those in Southwest Virginia, and is qualified trust me, and is a former alum.  You would see Richlands offense look a whole lot different.  Additionally, if he were to get his brother to help out on the defensive side of the ball, Richlands would be in good shape and there would be a turn around.  Only my opinions.  My point is....there are people in the Richlands area still....or at least somewhat close the area that absolutely know what they are doing and are more than capable.  I'm not saying that as any kind of knock on the current staff or coach either (I know Tarter, he's a class act, gentlemen, great man).  I am saying this if Tarter were to retire, there are people in the area that are more than capable. 

26 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe Ronnie Davis??? Would he even consider it though? I don’t see Snake going back to Richlands regardless if Davis is the coach. 

It's so politically screwed up now, I think it would have to be someone from outside of the area with a different prospective than SWD football.  That is something to think about, but IMO will never happen in the politically charged system we have in Tazewell County.  Too many hands in the pot.

3 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

It's so politically screwed up now, I think it would have to be someone from outside of the area with a different prospective than SWD football.  That is something to think about, but IMO will never happen in the politically charged system we have in Tazewell County.  Too many hands in the pot.

Ask the folks from Lee County how that has worked for them.

10 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Shane Wicks

Edited by CPF

12 hours ago, CPF said:

Shane Wicks

True, but does he want to be a head coach or would he even leave his spot at Honaker. I know I wouldn't want to be a head coach. And they will always look into the county first, and I don't see anyone. 

56 minutes ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

True, but does he want to be a head coach or would he even leave his spot at Honaker. I know I wouldn't want to be a head coach. And they will always look into the county first, and I don't see anyone. 

Didn't he play at Richlands? It's a natural fit if he wants it.