Richlands

Blue Tornado

18 hours ago, Blue Tornado said:

He got one personal foul at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game two players were ejected, but he was not. There was some confusion about whether or not he got ejected, I believe.

I was on the way home after the game and was listening to WGTH and I think they thought he got a second flag and I didn't listen to the final part of the program, so I guess I missed that it was two players and not Compton.  But this makes my point, if coaches loose it enough to get a personal penalty, then how can you expect the players to be any different, and why was an assistant disputing with the official instead of the head coach?  Just crazy things going on if you ask me. 

41 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

I'm out of the loop, who is McGhee and why does their opinion matter?

Well, his first name is Robert, but he goes by Bobby.  He likes to hitchhike with Janis Joplin in the Southern Louisiana area. 

38 minutes ago, breckt said:

How many transfers did Richlands lose this year to Honaker and otherwise?

If you count last year & this year plus middle school & high school, several! One person told me 17 kids total, not sure if that’s true. 

What has happened to Richlands is nothing new. They lost the singular binding force and the catalyst for their successful run. Mance is, without question, a good coach but it was his stewardship and steady leadership that built the program. RHS is now going through the exact same thing that GHS did without Carlock, THS over the last 20+ years and many other programs around the area.

Success and winning brings more talent to the board. GHS found the right fit and the results are clearly evident. It may take a few years to find or develop the right Sideline General and staff, but it will happen.

Lowe, Lowe, Whited, and Claybourn were all freshman on the Honaker team that went 1-5 the spring season during covid. Fast forward 3 and 1/2 years, These kids are seniors. New Coach, new game plan, and 6-0 at this point. The right coach, the right kids move up or (move in), the right direction with the kids you have and it can turn around that quick.

1 hour ago, Popeye said:

What has happened to Richlands is nothing new. They lost the singular binding force and the catalyst for their successful run. Mance is, without question, a good coach but it was his stewardship and steady leadership that built the program. RHS is now going through the exact same thing that GHS did without Carlock, THS over the last 20+ years and many other programs around the area.

Success and winning brings more talent to the board. GHS found the right fit and the results are clearly evident. It may take a few years to find or develop the right Sideline General and staff, but it will happen.

This is a great post. That said, to expand I would be interested in the step by step o how he, Carlock, Tony Palmer, etc. built or rebuilt programs. In a few years, we may ask Tiller; however at this point the successful seasons might be a product of good timing.

The similarities are eerie.

20 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

2003 Graham-State Semi-Finalist---7 Years later----> 2010 Graham 1-9

2010 Gate City-State Champs-------7 Years later----->2017 Gate City 1-9

2016 Richlands-State Runner-up----7 Years later---->2023 Richlands-Hoping for 1-9

2 hours ago, Popeye said:

Exactly