game updates ... 10/24-30

VHSLhelper

12 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Here is a Tennessee score. 

North Greene 14, Cosby 0 in the 3rd quarter. 

I think cocke county and Cosby both playing tonight.   Cocke County got something going on this weekend?

19 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Gotta have at least some speed to put out a decent defense....we have no team speed at all

I watched a little of the game tonight and man you are right. No team speed whatsoever it looks like everyone is in slow motion out there. Like comparable to when I play madden and make everyone look they are standing still. 

39 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Giles ran like 17 plays and took up around 8 minutes of clock to be stopped on 4th down from the 1.

Kind of reminds me of Central Woodstock last year , they ran out nearly an entire quarter on one drive & came up empty. If you’re going to take that much time off the clock, you gotta capitalize on it. 

6 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Kind of reminds me of Central Woodstock last year , they ran out nearly an entire quarter on one drive & came up empty. If you’re going to take that much time off the clock, you gotta capitalize on it. 

Was that when they fumbled?

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Congratulations to Bluefield High School head football coach Fred Simon. Tonight’s 47-13 victory over Giles was win #300 for Coach Simon. He is the only coach in WV high school football history to win 300 games at one school per J & J News. 

I wonder how many Martinsburg's coach has. He's obviously younger than Simon. His first season was 1997 and left for a few years to go to Concord but I could see him surpassing that at some point possibly,

23 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

I wonder how many Martinsburg's coach has. He's obviously younger than Simon. His first season was 1997 and left for a few years to go to Concord but I could see him surpassing that at some point possibly,

Martinsburg’s coach is ahead of Simon already.

35 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Martinsburg's coach, David Walker, Also coached at East Hardy in West Virginia before going to Martinsburg. He had 56 wins there before going to Martinsburg. He now has 312 between Martinsburg and East Hardy.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

We’re already on track to go down as having the worst record since 1978. Might as well add worst defense since 1978 along with it.

Tonight actually put Giles over the worst points against in School history. Sitting at 305 in just 9 games. 2002 was the previous record at 304 with the 2018 giving up 300 as well

1 minute ago, BBHoops_18 said:

I know Blacksburg is a struggling program lately but how bad do they have to be to lose to Giles 35-8? I know those two schools have a history but how much larger is Blacksburg than Giles?

Blacksburg is 4A but expected to drop to 3A the next cycle. 

5 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Tonight actually put Giles over the worst points against in School history. Sitting at 305 in just 9 games. 2002 was the previous record at 304 with the 2018 giving up 300 as well

Bad thing is we could still give up 70+ more points between next week and the first round playoff game(if we make it) 

That was my first time seeing Giles play this year. Offensively I liked their game plan and thought they really got after it. That 21 has some good speed especially as tall as he is. They should try to throw to him more often. I even saw him run wade down from behind on one play that was called back on a penalty. That was pretty impressive! Defensively they obviously didn’t have the overall team speed to keep up with Bluefield but 2 things that stood out to me was they took very poor angles over and over and very poor tackling. Overall I applaud the kids from Giles for coming out and giving their best. With the season they have had it would’ve been easy to just come out and lay down. Seems like they have some pretty good young players coming up so I think they will be back sooner rather than later.

38 minutes ago, Wvumav said:

That was my first time seeing Giles play this year. Offensively I liked their game plan and thought they really got after it. That 21 has some good speed especially as tall as he is. They should try to throw to him more often. I even saw him run wade down from behind on one play that was called back on a penalty. That was pretty impressive! Defensively they obviously didn’t have the overall team speed to keep up with Bluefield but 2 things that stood out to me was they took very poor angles over and over and very poor tackling. Overall I applaud the kids from Giles for coming out and giving their best. With the season they have had it would’ve been easy to just come out and lay down. Seems like they have some pretty good young players coming up so I think they will be back sooner rather than later.

21 does have speed and plenty of height. He just hasn’t gotten utilized how he should this season. Yes, I understand the single-wing is designed to run but even Ragsdale wasn’t afraid to throw the ball and he wouldn’t wait until 3rd and long to do so. If teams insist on loading the box then start throwing it on first down or second and short situations and don’t have the play set up to where 2-3 receivers are running identical routs to the same location. Someone will be open. I’m not saying that Giles needs to throw ball 15-20 times a game, but it should be thrown more than 3-4 times and not only on 3rd and long. This is just my opinion and no I do not have any desire to coach. Done it for a few years in a different sport at the high school level and it’s just not my calling in life.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

21 does have speed and plenty of height. He just hasn’t gotten utilized how he should this season. Yes, I understand the single-wing is designed to run but even Ragsdale wasn’t afraid to throw the ball and he wouldn’t wait until 3rd and long to do so. If teams insist on loading the box then start throwing it on first down or second and short situations and don’t have the play set up to where 2-3 receivers are running identical routs to the same location. Someone will be open. I’m not saying that Giles needs to throw ball 15-20 times a game, but it should be thrown more than 3-4 times and not only on 3rd and long. This is just my opinion and no I do not have any desire to coach. Done it for a few years in a different sport at the high school level and it’s just not my calling in life.

You're allowed to throw in situations that aren't 3rd or 4th and long? Next thing you'll say is you're allowed to attempt to score with your backups when you're at the goal line down by 34 points with plenty of time on the clock?! No no no we'll just pack it up and head home without any kind of confidence or moral booster. Maybe those two timeouts will rollover to next week? 🤷

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Congratulations to Bluefield High School head football coach Fred Simon. Tonight’s 47-13 victory over Giles was win #300 for Coach Simon. He is the only coach in WV high school football history to win 300 games at one school per J & J News. 

Does this ramp up the retirement talk now? The final milestone is a stellar career full of accolades?

6 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

You're allowed to throw in situations that aren't 3rd or 4th and long? Next thing you'll say is you're allowed to attempt to score with your backups when you're at the goal line down by 34 points with plenty of time on the clock?! No no no we'll just pack it up and head home without any kind of confidence or moral booster. Maybe those two timeouts will rollover to next week? 🤷

Yeah I thought the same thing at the time. Me personally I would’ve used the timeouts and tried to have scored. I was surprised he just let the clock run out. Were those 2 backs at the end of the game for Giles brothers? Looks like both will be good runners in the future. By game plan I meant the way they were trying to run the clock but yeah they should’ve thrown the ball more in the early downs to keep Bluefield honest. I’ve seen you guys talk about your coach a lot. Do you think he will be stepping down?

33 minutes ago, Wvumav said:

Yeah I thought the same thing at the time. Me personally I would’ve used the timeouts and tried to have scored. I was surprised he just let the clock run out. Were those 2 backs at the end of the game for Giles brothers? Looks like both will be good runners in the future. By game plan I meant the way they were trying to run the clock but yeah they should’ve thrown the ball more in the early downs to keep Bluefield honest. I’ve seen you guys talk about your coach a lot. Do you think he will be stepping down?

The two backs at end are twins in the 9th grade I believe. To answer your second question I think he’s planning on staying 2-3 more years so that he draw his full retirement from teaching.