Blacksburg already forfeits to Salem for next week

60minuteMan

I understand why this is frowned upon by some, but what does either team gain? The question isn’t if Salem wins, it’s if they hit 100. A loss like that could stop kids from coming out to play for Blacksburg next year. They’ve won a couple games, they have no shot here, I don’t blame them for packing it up.

3 minutes ago, MMcMahon26 said:

I understand why this is frowned upon by some, but what does either team gain? The question isn’t if Salem wins, it’s if they hit 100. A loss like that could stop kids from coming out to play for Blacksburg next year. They’ve won a couple games, they have no shot here, I don’t blame them for packing it up.

Concessions,  gate money...all gone cause bburg are cowards

2 minutes ago, CPF said:

2 times in 3 years. Maybe hire better coaches and build your program back rather than give it to a good ole boy who sucked at Carroll County and let him destroy your program.

Blacksburg has shown improvement from year one to year two under Zack Leonard. I think they’re trying to get there. They played Salem last year and determined that it wasn’t worth it this year. For the record, I’m not dying on the Blacksburg hill, I just see why they did what they did.

Just now, MMcMahon26 said:

Blacksburg has shown improvement from year one to year two under Zack Leonard. I think they’re trying to get there. They played Salem last year and determined that it wasn’t worth it this year. For the record, I’m not dying on the Blacksburg hill, I just see why they did what they did.

I get what you are saying but man what message are they sending. What's next petition to play in the MED?

Just now, CPF said:

I get what you are saying but man what message are they sending. What's next petition to play in the MED?

Yeah like I said, I see why some say it’s cowardly. I get it. Hokiebird brought up a good point about concessions being gone. I didn’t think of that, and that is a tough blow to a group that could’ve been depending on that money. As for the message, I don’t think there was anyone at Blacksburg who thought they had a chance. Hate to see any team do it. Hoping they can build on a little success they had this year and get to a point where doing this isn’t a thought.

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It’s honestly sad what is happening over there. To be a 4A school and not even have 30 kids come out is head scratching. Is Eddie Sloss’ short tenure as HC what caused this??

They went from defending state champions to losing 17 in a row in only 4 seasons. Have won 2 games in the 2 seasons since he resigned.

Blacksburg is obviously horrible, but to forfeit? Nice way to send your seniors out by taking away their final game. I remember when Unaka (TN) declined to play a 1st round playoff game against an outstanding Greenback team. I didn't like it, but Unaka was down to about (IIRC) 15 players, and it was a 3 hour bus ride to Greenback. Paying for the bus, gas and meals to take a massive beatdown made it more understandable than what Blacksburg is doing. 

1 hour ago, MMcMahon26 said:

Yeah like I said, I see why some say it’s cowardly. I get it. Hokiebird brought up a good point about concessions being gone. I didn’t think of that, and that is a tough blow to a group that could’ve been depending on that money. As for the message, I don’t think there was anyone at Blacksburg who thought they had a chance. Hate to see any team do it. Hoping they can build on a little success they had this year and get to a point where doing this isn’t a thought.

Don’t have to have a chance to go out there and play your best and give it hell…besides, that’s what the running clock is for.

9 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Blacksburg is obviously horrible, but to forfeit? Nice way to send your seniors out by taking away their final game. I remember when Unaka (TN) declined to play a 1st round playoff game against an outstanding Greenback team. I didn't like it, but Unaka was down to about (IIRC) 15 players, and it was a 3 hour bus ride to Greenback. Paying for the bus, gas and meals to take a massive beatdown made it more understandable than what Blacksburg is doing. 

Same thing imo...afraid to compete and cowards

15 minutes ago, VT W1N said:

Pretty sure they are down to only a handful of healthy kids to play. The number I've heard is 12.

This is what I’ve heard as well. They had fewer than 30 players to begin the season. Several injuries and attrition have taken a toll throughout the course of the season.  

Football in Montgomery County as a whole is a shambles outside of Christiansburg. Those at Blacksburg and Auburn that want to play football end up at Christiansburg. 

Liberty (Bedford) is currently 0-9 and has been outscored 544-0.  But I'm positive that the team will suit up to finish the season against Amherst on Friday and we'll still have the usual "Senior Night" observances.  

So what's Blacksburg's issue?

(On a completely random aside, this edition of the Marching Minutemen band is really good.  So there's that.)

7 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

(On a completely random aside, this edition of the Marching Minutemen band is really good.  So there's that.)

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with attending a football game to see the marching band. I do it on a weekly basis. At least until my youngest graduates. Then I’m likely to never attend another!!!