Ridgeview vs Tazewell

Gridiron60

I think the Tazewell radio crew is excellent. 

You should listen to the Galax crew sometime. They spent more time talking about North Carolina playoff scenarios and their alma-maters Tarboro and Mount Airy last night than the game they were calling. They don’t know a single player or coach on the team or even the correct pronunciation of their names. They don’t know the districts, regions or how they pertain to possible playoff scenarios. And worse, they don’t know the high school rules.

They talked for 30 minutes last night about a pass interference call being “uncatchable” which is not a high school rule. After that, they mentioned a rematch with Grayson next week by pointing out, the winner might have to travel to Salem to play Glenvar (while mispronouncing the name). Then they talked about how silly it was to have to drive past Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Pulaski, Giles, Narrows, Covington and Alleghany to play Bath. 

All over the place!!!

16 minutes ago, sixcat said:

You should listen to the Galax crew sometime. They spent more time talking about North Carolina playoff scenarios and their alma-maters Tarboro and Mount Airy last night than the game they were calling. They don’t know a single player or coach on the team or even the correct pronunciation of their names. They don’t know the districts, regions or how they pertain to possible playoff scenarios. And worse, they don’t know the high school rules.

They talked for 30 minutes last night about a pass interference call being “uncatchable” which is not a high school rule. After that, they mentioned a rematch with Grayson next week by pointing out, the winner might have to travel to Salem to play Glenvar (while mispronouncing the name). Then they talked about how silly it was to have to drive past Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Pulaski, Giles, Narrows, Covington and Alleghany to play Bath. 

All over the place!!!

Nobody tops the quality of Graham announcing on the radio

27 minutes ago, sixcat said:

All over the place!!!

That sounds like a damn train wreck 

I think Tazewells crew for HS crew is solid. They are the best in the coverage area that I've heard now that Jim Nelson of the Bluefield Beavers is retired.

Guys, can't expect to have the same or anything close for a High School crew compared to college. I LOVE it when HS crews are biased for their team. It's a good thing. It is what makes HS ball unique. There's no need to appease neutral or opposing fans.  Be biased as hel$. That's part of the fun. The radio crew at Tazewell doesn't owe Ridgeview fans a "neutral" broadcast and vice versa. 

Just my opinions

21 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Fully agree. I enjoy homer high school broadcasts. It should be that way. It’s high school and the broadcasts are meant for that small high school community. 

But dammit, you should know the players and coaches names and how to pronounce them. 

I was mostly referring to the complaining about holding.  Being homers is fine.  

Rumor I had been told was true. Dogs blew them out! Since Union RV outscored 131-32 I believe. Injuries derailed a good team and it started early in the year. RV coaching staff has to find a way to get their best player more comfortable by giving him cleaner options in the passing game. Next year will be interesting! Good luck to Tazewell but I think their season ends next week. Union is as physical as Graham. 

On 11/11/2023 at 2:49 PM, sixcat said:

All over the place!!!

The RV crew reminiscing about their Haysi football days gets old as well.  My pet peeve is complete lack of preparation and just winging it.  You should know about the other teams and who their star players are and what they want to do or are good at.

On 11/11/2023 at 4:01 PM, PackDadx4 said:

Rumor I had been told was true. Dogs blew them out! Since Union RV outscored 131-32 I believe. Injuries derailed a good team and it started early in the year. RV coaching staff has to find a way to get their best player more comfortable by giving him cleaner options in the passing game. Next year will be interesting! Good luck to Tazewell but I think their season ends next week. Union is as physical as Graham. 

Union is more physical then Graham.  

On 11/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think Tazewells crew for HS crew is solid. They are the best in the coverage area that I've heard now that Jim Nelson of the Bluefield Beavers is retired.

Guys, can't expect to have the same or anything close for a High School crew compared to college. I LOVE it when HS crews are biased for their team. It's a good thing. It is what makes HS ball unique. There's no need to appease neutral or opposing fans.  Be biased as hel$. That's part of the fun. The radio crew at Tazewell doesn't owe Ridgeview fans a "neutral" broadcast and vice versa. 

Just my opinions

I think the new crew for Bluefield is very good too.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Well, it is "Bulldog Radio Network" that did the broadcast.  

I apologized in another thread.  It was their complaints about holding and the refs. Then a couple of really bad calls against Tazewell came up and I realized that it wasn’t just homerism,  

1 hour ago, Unchained said:

I fully expect radio stations and PA announcers of a team to be homers. It's when a station that covers all in the county shows bias that gets me riled up..

93.5 game the announcers were clearly pulling for Rye Cove which is surprising considering Eastside is a wise co. team

Our radio crew does quite well I think overall.  Sometimes a misspoken statement but usually always apologizes and/or corrects it.

Still with that said nobody and I mean absolutely nobody can ever top Larry Hypes.  Don't think I ever heard him say a single bad thing or be accused of being a homer. 

On 11/12/2023 at 4:01 PM, SwvaOG said:

The RV crew reminiscing about their Haysi football days gets old as well.  My pet peeve is complete lack of preparation and just winging it.  You should know about the other teams and who their star players are and what they want to do or are good at.

Are you trying to hurt my feelings? Because if so, you are succeeding.  Fortunately, my feelings regenerate at twice the speed of a normal man's -  Misc - quickmeme