Graham vs Union Region 2D Championship 2023

Gridiron60

Question for Bears fans.  Who will be the QB for the Bears next year?  Union was young on the line of scrimmage just like Graham was and being that young, the line of scrimmage certainly isn't going to be a problem the next two years.  It's typical Union.  Who does the Bears have at QB.  Just my opinion here and I could be wrong.  I think Graham will beat Radford and then go on to win the state title over the winner from the East.  Union was inches away....inches away this year.  I still believe the 2 best teams in Class 2 Virginia played Saturday.  Could be wrong though (as I often am).

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Question for Bears fans.  Who will be the QB for the Bears next year?  Union was young on the line of scrimmage just like Graham was and being that young, the line of scrimmage certainly isn't going to be a problem the next two years.  It's typical Union.  Who does the Bears have at QB.  Just my opinion here and I could be wrong.  I think Graham will beat Radford and then go on to win the state title over the winner from the East.  Union was inches away....inches away this year.  I still believe the 2 best teams in Class 2 Virginia played Saturday.  Could be wrong though (as I often am).

Abe Hall lead the JV to an excellent season where their only loss was 33-30 @ Elizabethton. That offense seemed to be humming all season. 

Bringing back 4/5 of our Line, all of our receivers and of course Chandler. Really excited about the offensive potential next season. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I’m hearing it’ll likely be 2, Bostic. Son of a coach and super athletic. I’m not sure I wouldn’t let Hall start and keep Bostic at WR where he’s so dangerous, take some lumps next year and then be primed to go in 2025 but I dunno. 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I mean I can’t counter any of that, you aren’t wrong. Except on the PI call but we won’t relitigate that lolol. 

I thought one of the Union playmakers had his worst game in a Bear uniform Saturday. I’m not gonna throw any kid under the bus individually but he was lackadaisical at times, avoiding contact at times and just plain out of position at times. He could have totally changed the game four separate times with just effort and it just didn’t happen. They’re all young so I’m sure it’ll get corrected but for guys like Rey and the other dogs out there giving it every ounce they got (Chandler was busting his butt every play as well, the other Andersons are high effort kids, several others) it was undoubtedly extremely frustrating. 

Youth is a challenge.  I remember my senior year playing my last game and just lighting into a Jr. defensive player because he wasn't going hard and said something like "season's over, we'll get them next year".  I said, "We don't have next year....this is it for us."  It happens a lot with kids that start as underclassmen....they don't truly appreciate it until there is no "next year".   

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I’m hearing it’ll likely be 2, Bostic. Son of a coach and super athletic. I’m not sure I wouldn’t let Hall start and keep Bostic at WR where he’s so dangerous, take some lumps next year and then be primed to go in 2025 but I dunno. 

I know Union fans love the idea of keeping all of those WRs but hear me out.  If #2 is faster and a better athlete than the JV QB, I'd go with #2.  A running threat at QB just stresses the defense so much....you saw that with Anderson and you see it with O'Quin.  Besides, Union just isn't going to fully commit to a 3-4 WR set.  If you aren't committed to throwing it 40% of the time, you are wasting talent by having 3 or 4 good wide receivers.  I still consider RV's 2021 season as the best use of a WR trio as each of those "big 3" caught over 50 balls. Unless Turner turns into Andy Reid, I just don't see it. 

Now, if the JV kid has good wheels and can throw it, that's a different story.  But, the QB should be the most important position and #2 used to be a QB and has two years as a varsity starter.  Makes sense to me.     

I think the QB position for Union will be decided by the offensive style they think will best suit their players.

I could see Bostic running an Anderson like offense next year. There's also the case for leaving him at WR, where he excelled, and going with a more pass heavy system using a different QB.

Losing Anderson will be a tough hit for sure, but I'm more concerned with the losses on D. 3/4 on the D-Line and 2 VERY good inside backers.

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

From what I’ve heard Union might be getting a kid a few miles west of BSG who plays a little QB.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I know Union fans love the idea of keeping all of those WRs but hear me out.  If #2 is faster and a better athlete than the JV QB, I'd go with #2.  A running threat at QB just stresses the defense so much....you saw that with Anderson and you see it with O'Quin.  Besides, Union just isn't going to fully commit to a 3-4 WR set.  If you aren't committed to throwing it 40% of the time, you are wasting talent by having 3 or 4 good wide receivers.  I still consider RV's 2021 season as the best use of a WR trio as each of those "big 3" caught over 50 balls. Unless Turner turns into Andy Reid, I just don't see it. 

Now, if the JV kid has good wheels and can throw it, that's a different story.  But, the QB should be the most important position and #2 used to be a QB and has two years as a varsity starter.  Makes sense to me.     

They threw alot with the Hall kid a few years back.  Pretty sure he threw close to 2000 yards one season.  

I'm hearing a kid down hwy 58 might come up and play qb. If not Bostic would be just fine just as the sophomore Hall guess we will wait and see when 7 on 7s happen. Also just hear say at work is Sykes might come home for his Senior year. Since he can start at qb at DB why not Union.

To play on that current offense, gotta be able to run and take a few shots.  Not many as tough as Anderson or there.  I'm old school but I still think a pro I with play action for a run- heavy team suited them better.  Ran the option a couple times with 0 resistance.  It's a lost art just like throwing to a back.  Both forgotten parts of the offense today, but still very effective. 

I thought the game was excellent.  Effort on both sides was outstanding.  Great HS Football game.  But I do think the refs definitely helped Union stay in the game more than has been discussed.   The first TD and the targeting. Wow.  

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 10.07.45 PM.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Cane4lf said:

I thought the game was excellent.  Effort on both sides was outstanding.  Great HS Football game.  But I do think the refs definitely helped Union stay in the game more than has been discussed.   The first TD and the targeting. Wow.  

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 10.07.45 PM.jpeg

Yeah, that's for sure targeting 🤣 The refs were just bad, period. 

6 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Yeah, that's for sure targeting 🤣 The refs were just bad, period. 

Refs missed a targeting call on Graham on the last kickoff.

They were very bad.  

21 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

2014 Union ran 10 personnel and aired it out. QB had 2500+ passing. I remember one game against Richlands Union threw it 50+ times.