Graham vs Union Region 2D Championship 2023

Gridiron60

42 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Are they tall? I can’t remember from the first game. I don’t think anyone around here can stop Huff by himself if Reyshawn can get him the ball but if Graham has athletic DBs Reyshawn has at times sailed balls so they could snag one. 

Most recently Floyd, Edwards, Palmer, & Graham have all had interceptions on defense if I’m not mistaken. Edwards has really been a force this season on both sides of the ball. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

If he’s healthy I’d play him at S this week. It’s win or go home. Same with Reyshawn for Union at S. Move Chandler inside and bring Rey in to help with Clements if he gets loose. 

I was thinking the same.  His speed would be an assett on defense, if Union breaks a big Gainer. 

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

This game will be decided by the man behind the scenes that puts in the unappreciated work. He never complains, but he does like to have a smoke here and there, but never the occasional beer when behind the wheel. This is the bus driver. He will decide this. If Graham comes on the field in the wrong uni's, he's turning the keys over. If Union gets a penalty on the first play, he's turning the ignition.  The man does not play around. He decides this.

Union and Graham, you better have your ducks in row because one false move, and he's got a quick trigger finger or "wrist."

Seen Union bus driver at dmv this week trust me he’s ready 

2 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Seen Union bus driver at dmv this week trust me he’s ready 

That's bad news for Graham.  I hear Graham can't find a bus driver, driver shortage over this way, may have to go with a rookie bus driver and that is a huge disadvantage for Graham.  Also, I hear that Graham has requested to wear the all yellow at Bullitt Park - Graham has no chance.

47 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That's bad news for Graham.  I hear Graham can't find a bus driver, driver shortage over this way, may have to go with a rookie bus driver and that is a huge disadvantage for Graham.  Also, I hear that Graham has requested to wear the all yellow at Bullitt Park - Graham has no chance.

If they show up in yellow on yellow, I‘m just getting in my truck and heading back home. My favorite is the light gold bottoms & maroon jerseys or gun metal gray. I’ll stay if they come out in either of those, lol. Seriously, offensive line going to have to shore up. For goodness sakes, can we cut down the unsportsmanlike or personal foul penalties? I give the edge to Union. Graham is definitely the underdog. Union has all the weapons in place to win. I just hope GMen play hard & smart. I know Bullitt Park will be rocking! I’ll stand by the gate and give all the football mamas a stern talking to before they enter. 😂😂😂😂

I have Graham winning this if it was at Mitchell Stadium as I think BSG is more of home field advantage than Mitchell.  In every game I've ever played or watched at Bullit, the home team has benefitted in the balance of calls.  I can't say that about Mitchell and I've played and watched many a game there as well.  In addition, I think the turf would have helped Graham more.  I know Union fans will argue Union has a lot of speed.  Graham has just as much, if not more.  And, importantly, they get the ball into their speed guy hands more than Union does their speed guys.  This all being said, I think its a toss-up at BSG, slight favor to Union.

I like Snake as a DC and you won't catch him un-aware twice in a season; however, if there is one thing I wish he would do a bit more of is play man/press against teams that will throw.  I think he has the athletes to do it.  I would most definitely show some of it to Union. I have serious doubts that Union's WRs have been adequately coached how to get off press.  They average around 160lbs so I think you can be physical with them.  You don't have to do it every snap......just show it enough to mess with play calling.  Show it and then bail.....show zone and then move up. Additionally, if you study Union's film you'll see they have a clear preference in the route tree.  That needs to be accounted for.  I'd spy the QB and then you have to trust the DL/LB to contain Chandler.  

Union has the luxury of knowing if they stop Clements they have a very high probability of winning.  

I don't know who wins, but I like Union's chances.  I will give some Graham offense critique and I know.....critique of offensive coaching that has played for 3 state titles in the last 5 years, lol which is already not a good take for anyone doing that, but with great compliments goes reasonable critique.  Graham needs more middle of the field stuff, short, intermediate routes.  Yes, Graham does the quick release throws to the WR and that is good, but I still...........after all these years going back to 2016, just see very, very, very little "sit down routes, curls."  I literally just don't understand why not.  Why not send a WR or RB 5 yards behind the linebackers and simply "stay,"  Just a simple sit down route, or a curl, etc, instead of 2 or 3 kids running post and flag routes.  

My opinion of this game is this.  If Graham does very little or no "skinnies" or basically, 7 yard routes in the middle of the field where the WR simply plants and waits for the ball or a simple curl/comeback route 7 yds off the ball in the middle of the field, they will lose.  You will see Union played center field on defense and Graham gets away with this in the passing game 90 plus percent of the time because they out athlete the opponent, but against Union this year, you aren't going to beat them deep like that.  It's not going to happen.  If you see Graham come out in the first quarter and they have the usual 3 guys on one play running flag routes, they are in trouble.  If you see Graham look a little bit different in the passing game as described above, it will given Union major problems and Graham will win the game.  Graham had glimpses of the short intermediate stuff against Central in the state title game and it's not foreign to them by any means, but they just don't seem to do it much.  Much of that is probably due to risk.  When you start doing passing stuff in the middle of the field at intermediate and short range, you better be darn accurate because it can be a turnover/disaster waiting to happen, but Graham is playing an opponent that requires you take chances.  You are going to have to accept that risk in order to beat Union.  Same for Union.  When you play most teams, the Bears are so good they don't have to take much risk because they are good enough to overcome the opponent.  Against Graham, they have to accept that risk and take some chances.  

I don't know who wins, but I like Union's chances.  I will give some Graham offense critique and I know.....critique of offensive coaching that has played for 3 state titles in the last 5 years, lol which is already not a good take for anyone doing that, but with great compliments goes reasonable critique.  Graham needs more middle of the field stuff, short, intermediate routes.  Yes, Graham does the quick release throws to the WR and that is good, but I still...........after all these years going back to 2016, just see very, very, very little "sit down routes, curls."  I literally just don't understand why not.  Why not send a WR or RB 5 yards behind the linebackers and simply "stay,"  Just a simple sit down route, or a curl, etc, instead of 2 or 3 kids running post and flag routes.  

My opinion of this game is this.  If Graham does very little or no "skinnies" or basically, 7 yard routes in the middle of the field where the WR simply plants and waits for the ball or a simple curl/comeback route 7 yds off the ball in the middle of the field, they will lose.  You will see Union played center field on defense and Graham gets away with this in the passing game 90 plus percent of the time because they out athlete the opponent, but against Union this year, you aren't going to beat them deep like that.  It's not going to happen.  If you see Graham come out in the first quarter and they have the usual 3 guys on one play running flag routes, they are in trouble.  If you see Graham look a little bit different in the passing game as described above, it will given Union major problems and Graham will win the game.  Graham had glimpses of the short intermediate stuff against Central in the state title game and it's not foreign to them by any means, but they just don't seem to do it much.  Much of that is probably due to risk.  When you start doing passing stuff in the middle of the field at intermediate and short range, you better be darn accurate because it can be a turnover/disaster waiting to happen, but Graham is playing an opponent that requires you take chances.  You are going to have to accept that risk in order to beat Union.  Same for Union.  When you play most teams, the Bears are so good they don't have to take much risk because they are good enough to overcome the opponent.  Against Graham, they have to accept that risk and take some chances.  

Graham needs to play action fake off their run game.  I don't like the go four wide, in a shot-gun on obvious passing downs look.  It limits screens, mis-direction and running options.  If the G-men do that, Union plays an outside leverage stance with the CB where they can look at the QB and just bail deep.  This is why they get picks....easy picks.  Offenses don't stress them with well-designed plays.  Flood their zone....run a tight end or slot straight down the seam, run a 7 yard out and then have Clements release in the flats under the out all on the same side.   Make the CB pick who he will cover.....get his eyes and thoughts on Clements and then see how disciplined he is.  If I were Graham, I'd pull up tape from the RV @ Union game from 2021 and watch RV destroy Union with tunnel screens for 120 yards and two TDs (Tony Palmer, if you are reading this, shoot me a message if you need more film on that.  Lol).  

31 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Graham needs to play action fake off their run game.  I don't like the go four wide, in a shot-gun on obvious passing downs look.  It limits screens, mis-direction and running options.  If the G-men do that, Union plays an outside leverage stance with the CB where they can look at the QB and just bail deep.  This is why they get picks....easy picks.  Offenses don't stress them with well-designed plays.  Flood their zone....run a tight end or slot straight down the seam, run a 7 yard out and then have Clements release in the flats under the out all on the same side.   Make the CB pick who he will cover.....get his eyes and thoughts on Clements and then see how disciplined he is.  If I were Graham, I'd pull up tape from the RV @ Union game from 2021 and watch RV destroy Union with tunnel screens for 120 yards and two TDs (Tony Palmer, if you are reading this, shoot me a message if you need more film on that.  Lol).  

Spot on.  Exactly right.

Calpreps.  This game was a predicted 4 point to 5 point win for Graham over the past 3-4 weeks.  

Calpreps Today- Graham 21, Union 20, Graham with a 53% chance to win.  This means......the computers think its a toss up like most other people.  4 points is a toss up in my opinion, but a 1 point differential is basically the computer saying.....flip a coin, it's anyone's game and the game can't end in a tie and we have to pick somebody.

Incredibly, Union and Graham have both closed the gap on Radford.  Radford has a 6 point win prediction over Graham the past 2-3 weeks and Graham was the closest in the state of Virginia to Radford.  That pick is now down to 3.  Radford 31, Graham 28, and Radford with a 58% chance.  Radford is favored over Union 31-20 with an 75% chance.  That was 14 points 2 weeks ago, but now down to 11.

Riverheads has now pulled ahead of Graham.  It favors Riverheads by 2 points over Graham, and against Radford, same outcome as Graham.  A 31-28 prediction for Radford over Riverheads.

Graham and Union match up really well this year. First time in a while that they may be equal on overall team speed and athletic ability. I give Union the edge on the line, but that's not a gimmie either. Unlike years past, I don't see Graham having the same level of dual threat at the QB spot.

I understand that Clements is healthy and available this go around and that will be an obvious factor. I see the Bears focusing on the run with a possible spy on Clements from a rearranged defensive unit along with some periodic blitzes on the QB. I'm not sure how Clements will be utilized this week. I noticed some wildcat against GC, but I don't think that will be as affective against the Bears D. I see him getting productive yards from misdirection or catching out of the backfield. Bears will have to tackle well in space or he's going to the house.

Defending the passing attack of Tazewell was incredibly helpful for Union, and will give them much more confidence defending the pass against Graham. Very interested to see the O and D strategy for the GMen this week. How do they change things around having Clements back? On the flip side, how will Union strategize on D to contain him?

This will be a chess match for sure.

58 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Assuming it’s your first time coming. If so, get there early and don’t procrastinate. If so you’ll be walking from MECC due to the lack of parking!

And this isn't home craft days, they don't run a shuttle for the games.

Your best bet will be to show up before 12 if you want a decent parking spot for this one.

Before 10 and wait at the ticket booth if you want to park inside the park.

4 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

And this isn't home craft days, they don't run a shuttle for the games.

Your best bet will be to show up before 12 if you want a decent parking spot for this one.

Before 10 and wait at the ticket booth if you want to park inside the park.

Honestly, the line at the “presale” gate was getting pretty long and into the grass before gates opened for the Tazewell game. I could see this one being crazier than that. Maybe even like Appomattox in 17 where the lines were out of the park, literally. 

I get to the game about an hour early and park near the cabin near the little league field and have no problem with parking.  Just have to get your ticket at main gate first and walk thru the gate were the visitor field house is 

17 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Incredibly, Union and Graham have both closed the gap on Radford.  Radford has a 6 point win prediction over Graham the past 2-3 weeks and Graham was the closest in the state of Virginia to Radford.  That pick is now down to 3.  Radford 31, Graham 28, and Radford with a 58% chance.  Radford is favored over Union 31-20 with an 75% chance.  That was 14 points 2 weeks ago, but now down to 11.

Riverheads has now pulled ahead of Graham.  It favors Riverheads by 2 points over Graham, and against Radford, same outcome as Graham.  A 31-28 prediction for Radford over Riverheads.

Radford is good indeed this season.  Who they played that should have given them a game or had a chance of beating them?  Best shot was Appo with some ball control offense but the Raider Defense was a little suspect.  Glenvar part 2 will be about like part 1.  Their Qb is an absolute athlete with all the intangibles but Defense will have to step up  to get all the way to Salem and have a chance.  Watching Radford defense, I'm not sure of the percentage but of the few games I've seen they stick 6 or so in the box and send them nearly every play.  Disruptive, yes but dangerous as well because when someone breaks the line, they gone and your db's on an island with little to no help.  Can't tell on film but maybe they have 4-5 studs playing db and just don't care or Crist is completely out of the picture as OC and DC and letting his people do their jobs.  It'll be interesting from here on out that's for sure.

13 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I get to the game about an hour early and park near the cabin near the little league field and have no problem with parking.  Just have to get your ticket at main gate first and walk thru the gate were the visitor field house is 

Thanks guys for all the info..looking forward to a great game