Riverheads 2A title odds ?

RichRich

I think at this stage they may have already adjusted.  Someone said it already, it's not their first rodeo but back to back to back in 2A will test their limitations.  Someone having a defense that is physical enough to do it four quarters is a rarity these days but if they have an offense that can jump on them and get out by a couple of scores to force them out of their element and pass a little more, it could happen.  They're so good at moving the ball and eating clock, and their Defense isn't bad either but we'll see.

Outside of Altavista and Riverheads over the past decade, Region 1B has been the weakest region in Virginia. Riverheads hasn't played an opening round playoff game in several years. Region 2B is slightly stronger than its Class 1 counterpart. The road to Salem will be a lot tougher than it has been in previous years for Riverheads. They are definitely capable of reaching that goal but it will take a considerably higher toll on them physically to reach it.

@Real Sasquatch hit the number. Central showed last year that they are a contender so this week will be a huge test for the Gladiators. As for the path to Salem, I agree that Class 2 is more difficult, but to call out Region B is a little out of line. Poquoson and KW are extremely good teams but there is a drop off with the other teams from that region?  Look at Region C, Appo and Gretna at 3/4 are good teams but behind Radford. Region D has Union and annual contender Graham, but the drop off behind them is there for the teams behind them as well. IMO every region by and large has two teams that are contenders with a slight drop to the number 3's and 4's of that region and Region B is no exception. Will Riverheads win this week much less the next two? We will see if they have what it takes but there will definitely be some good football played over the next 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Region 2B is slightly stronger than its Class 1 counterpart.

13 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

As for the path to Salem, I agree that Class 2 is more difficult, but to call out Region B is a little out of line. 

If you are referring to my statement quoted above, the word "slightly" is italicized to stress sarcasm. Maybe that wasn't obvious enough. 

Region 2B is considerably stronger than Region 1B. The path for Riverheads to reach Salem is measurably more difficult in 2B. 

15 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

I recognized the sarcasm and agree completely that the path is tougher. My only argument is that every region in almost every classification legitimately only has two teams that can compete at the state level year in and out. 

I agree completely with "compete on a state level." What I vehemently disagree with is Region 1B is considerably weaker once you get below those top teams. In recent years, I would go so far as to say, Riverheads is the only 1B school since Altavista that could compete on a state level. No opening round game plus what amounts to two controlled scrimmages against inferior competition doesn't put much of a burden on the health of the players like playing playoff football in 2B will.

20 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

I recognized the sarcasm and agree completely that the path is tougher. My only argument is that every region in almost every classification legitimately only has two teams that can compete at the state level year in and out. 

Using 2D as an example of regional depth Ridgeview has been a very strong program the past few seasons and Wise Central had several years where they were very tough. Using the Tazewell teams that Riverheads faced as a comparison(I know, I know but its all we've got); Riverheads, Ridgeview, and Central all beat the Dogs in those seasons and I believe the margin of victory was generally higher for Rv and C (granted were talking about the end of the season vs the beginning). Id say those Central and Ridgeview teams could be seen as on Riverheads level and none of those teams won region. The past few seasons 2D has been stacked with 3-4 really good teams.

To piggyback off of what sixcat said, the difference will be Riverheads wont roll into the state title game(if they make it) fresh, they will be battle worn. Something they've not experienced until this season. Not taking anything away from Riverheads in terms of the quality of their teams, obviously they've been VERY good, but the competition is MUCH stiffer in Class 2 than Class 1

11 hours ago, RichRich said:

Does Riverheads have a chance of winning AA in your opinions?

Great chance, but I would take the field. Purely my opinion here, but I give Radford the best chance. I put Union, Graham, Riverheads, Central, and Poquoson all with the same or similar chance and all certainly good enough. I think 6 teams can win it. I don't think Glenvar and Amelia are good enough. So, Riverheads is definitely good enough to win it, but got to take the field because of parity.  If the Red team were to win it, no surprise to me, nor any of the 6 teams mentioned. Riverheads is class act and has an incredible program that is good because not just 1, but hundreds of people in that community have put the work in and they deserve to be darn good, and darn good they are.

@sixcat I wouldn't argue that after the top two in Region 1B it was a drop off. But many 7 or 8 seeds in any other Class 1 region won that first round game? The only team seeded outside of the top 3 to win it was Galax in 2015 (admittedly it was the old 2 sided split which makes it that much more impressive). Someone correct me but they would have been the 3 seed if it were using the current region set up. Either way its pretty much chalk as much as we would like to think otherwise. 

As I have said there is no question that Class 2 is tougher overall but IMO there still isn't a huge difference in depth of the field in each region.  That said the teams most people generally thought would be playing this week will be (except Appo and KW). For the most part everyone left has a pedigree of being on this stage so there isn't but so much of an advantage for anyone. I think Radford is definitely ahead of the field right now if I was betting with 4 behind that who could win then 2 more that are longer shots but have done what it takes to get to this game. Its HS football so anything can and likely will happen from here on out. I am just enjoying the opportunity to see good football being played. 

Im excited to see how Riverheads does from here on in Class 2, not to see them fail but just because the competition and quality of games is gonna be great!  As ive said before im a big fan of what Riverheads does on Offense and im honestly pulling for them to have success 

4 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

@sixcat I wouldn't argue that after the top two in Region 1B it was a drop off. But many 7 or 8 seeds in any other Class 1 region won that first round game? The only team seeded outside of the top 3 to win it was Galax in 2015 (admittedly it was the old 2 sided split which makes it that much more impressive). Someone correct me but they would have been the 3 seed if it were using the current region set up. Either way its pretty much chalk as much as we would like to think otherwise. 

As I have said there is no question that Class 2 is tougher overall but IMO there still isn't a huge difference in depth of the field in each region.  That said the teams most people generally thought would be playing this week will be (except Appo and KW). For the most part everyone left has a pedigree of being on this stage so there isn't but so much of an advantage for anyone. I think Radford is definitely ahead of the field right now if I was betting with 4 behind that who could win then 2 more that are longer shots but have done what it takes to get to this game. Its HS football so anything can and likely will happen from here on out. I am just enjoying the opportunity to see good football being played. 

Over the course of the past 8 seasons, when has Riverheads had a 2nd round game inside 2 scores like the one they just played against Clarke County?

2015 - 41-0 over Altavista
2016 - 38-0 over Essex
2017 - 49-0 over Altavista
2018 - 65-7 over Altavista
2019 - 45-0 over Rappahannack County
2020 - 58-13 over Altavista
2021 - Forfeit 
2022 - 47-20 over Sussex Central

My point is, Clarke County would beat the brakes off anyone in 1B right now. As would any other 2B playoff team. 

15 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Im excited to see how Riverheads does from here on in Class 2, not to see them fail but just because the competition and quality of games is gonna be great!  As ive said before im a big fan of what Riverheads does on Offense and im honestly pulling for them to have success 

As a matter of record, I agree wholeheartedly with this ^^^! I just think the road for Riverheads to get there is much, much tougher in 2B.

Edit to add: I personally believe the gap between Class 1 and Class 2 has grown over the past few years. Riverheads, Essex and Galax could have been competitive in Class 2 between 2015 and 2019. I'm not suggesting any would have won the Class 2 state championship but all three would have been a handful for any Class 2 team during that period with the exception of maybe the 2016 Appomattox team. Nobody in Class 1 or Class 2 was on their level. Galax and Essex wouldn't be very competitive in Class 2 now. I don't think anyone in Class 1 would be. 

A couple of items

Redtiger made an outstanding point that RH had got to coast into the finals each year since really 2016. As they had a first round bye plus the competition I the regionals will be better than the past. 

Sixcat made this point several times in here - the gap between 2A and 1A is light years wider between the two this year  than it has been in the past

in my opinion this could help RH if they make it to the final game as it make them more prepared.