Graham vs Radford

Gridiron60

20 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Single season? If he was able to catch either of those two top guys, he should be on a D1 roster. Both those guys were the elite of the elite. Curry made the league while Vic was as good a HS player as I’ve seen in VA in my lifetime. 

That’s not to belittle Cam Allen at all, dude was a legit superstar and deserves all his flowers but his future was always on the defensive side. He wasn’t quite the elite top shelf 0.001% talent that Hall and Curry were. 

Watched Vic Hall account for 6 TD's against Christiansburg in a 49-42 playoff win....He was nothing short of phenomenal in one of the best high school games I've ever had the privilege to spectate. 

Great show of fan support by Graham. My Bobcats finally did it. What's it been, 30 or 31 years since beating Graham? Happy for our kids. Going to be tough to beat Riverheads. We got a shot though.  For the 2 Gmen fans I met today, if you are on here, I enjoyed the beers and conversation. Best of luck to Graham next year, but I don't think you will need it with all that youth.

The coment about Union or Graham finishing 4-5th in the other distric was hilarious, since it was based on a bad game by Graham, but I'm not the dude who vamooses when I am wrong. I've shucked 50 pounds in less than 2 months by eating baked chicken. Tonight I get baked crow:). Nothing but respect to Radford on the win today. I'd love to see them beat RH,but it's tall task no doubt.

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

Great show of fan support by Graham. My Bobcats finally did it. What's it been, 30 or 31 years since beating Graham? Happy for our kids. Going to be tough to beat Riverheads. We got a shot though.  For the 2 Gmen fans I met today, if you are on here, I enjoyed the beers and conversation. Best of luck to Graham next year, but I don't think you will need it with all that youth.

Congratulations! Hope y'all can beat the Riverheads! Clark is a special talent on both sides of the ball! Wish him all the luck in the world! He has really matured as a player & person. I do think Graham's defense did a decent job getting pressure on him and containing better than a lot of teams did this year. 

20 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Graham dudes, serious question. On NFHS it looked like Graham was playing waaaay timid and not confident at all. They didn’t have their Typical Graham “swag.” 

Was that something y’all noticed aswell or just me sitting at home?

I felt like the offense was off today. Defense did pretty good I thought containing Clark and bringing pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I felt like the offense was off today. Defense did pretty good I thought containing Clark and bringing pressure. 

True. I thought the defense played great. IMO way better than they even did last week. 

Offensively, I saw no rhythm. Why not force feed Clements? He seemed like he was getting 5-6 yards a carry, especially early on. 

Just now, UnionGuy2017 said:

True. I thought the defense played great. IMO way better than they even did last week. 

Offensively, I saw no rhythm. Why not force feed Clements? He seemed like he was getting 5-6 yards a carry, especially early on. 

Yeah, I was puzzled by that as well, I would have just kept giving it to him but they don’t ask me 🤣. He was stopped some but was getting consistent yardage. Defense wins championships but not when offense can’t score. 

Didn't play bad,  Radford just didn't make the little mistakes, Graham did.  Little things like punts and penalties for false starts, dropped passes, etc. A week ago,  clicking well but this week has a few hiccups at the worst time.  Margin of error was small,  price was big. Good season,  good luck to Radford. 

1 hour ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Didn't play bad,  Radford just didn't make the little mistakes, Graham did.  Little things like punts and penalties for false starts, dropped passes, etc. A week ago,  clicking well by this week has a few hiccups at the quest time.  Margin of error was small,  price was big. Good season,  good luck to Radford. 

I kind of feel like bad punts, false starts, and dropped passes are BIG things in a state semifinal. I’m still bumfuzzled why Tony Palmer didn’t just keep feeding the ball to Clements or run Floyd or Jennings more. Why the heck do you pass so much when your passing game is not very consistent in comparison to the  run game? 

Graham can often overcome those mental lapses. I do NOT mean to be offensive. The biggest difference in Graham this year was the lack of mobility of the QB. He's young and just a sophomore, but he offers no escabability with pressure with his feet. Graham has had QBs for the last 7 or so years that if you blitz them, they could hurt you with their feet. A fast QB could have taken 1 or 2 of those sacks and turned them into 20 or 30 yd runs historically for Graham. Radford sent pressure a few times not because they weren't worried about Grahams speedy receivers because they were more than aware, but they sent pressure because they didn't respect the Graham QBs feet. With that written, the Graham QB is good. He was just under pressure a bunch and when WRs were covered, he didn't have the legs to outrun Radfords very fast linebackers.

I'm sure that Graham was prepared to throw the ball to keep Radford honest, it just didn't work.  Only a handful of plays that didn't look so good, but also a few missed INT's for Radford.  Someone calling the plays got carried away.  Clements was still getting good yardage, but I believe the help they were needing was to get the other backs involved.  You're right though, the QB has been mobile the past several years, creating all kinds of trouble.  I figured early on if clements could throw, he'd been back there but that wasn't the case.  

14 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I kind of feel like bad punts, false starts, and dropped passes are BIG things in a state semifinal. I’m still bumfuzzled why Tony Palmer didn’t just keep feeding the ball to Clements or run Floyd or Jennings more. Why the heck do you pass so much when your passing game is not very consistent in comparison to the  run game? 

I wondered the same thing in 01 in Lynchburg against Harrisonburg.  I think Radford's defense was under-estimated after Glenvar.  Graham will be right in the mix again next season.  They should have a good mix of power-run with Jennings and a strong passing attack with most of that big line returning.  Defensively, they will be solid too.  I think G. Palmer will factor in more on the offensive side of the ball next season, both as a runner and a receiver.  Clements will be hard to replace, but Graham has some young guys coming back that will produce and there won't be that one guy to key on.  I'm excited to see how Caleb Fix comes along and I think they could utilize Blake Graham more on offense, other then the occasional deep ball thrown his way.

On to basketball!!  Let's all play for runner up to John Marshall!!

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I wondered the same thing in 01 in Lynchburg against Harrisonburg.  I think Radford's defense was under-estimated after Glenvar.  Graham will be right in the mix again next season.  They should have a good mix of power-run with Jennings and a strong passing attack with most of that big line returning.  Defensively, they will be solid too.  I think G. Palmer will factor in more on the offensive side of the ball next season, both as a runner and a receiver.  Clements will be hard to replace, but Graham has some young guys coming back that will produce and there won't be that one guy to key on.  I'm excited to see how Caleb Fix comes along and I think they could utilize Blake Graham more on offense, other then the occasional deep ball thrown his way.

They should give Floyd more carries. He had a monster game at RB last year against Virginia High and his freshman year at Bluefield he carried the ball a lot. Oh and it's Cambel Fix.

2 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

They should give Floyd more carries. He had a monster game at RB last year against Virginia High and his freshman year at Bluefield he carried the ball a lot. Oh and it's Cambel Fix.

I agree with Floyd getting more touches. He runs hard every time he has the ball. I enjoyed watching Fix too. It’s  going to be fun seeing him develop. Another player that I thought came a long way this year and proved to be a valuable team player was Gabe Lilly. He gives 110% like Floyd anytime he’s out there. Neither mind taking a hard hit. 

19 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Radford had a very good defense. I still feel like in 2019 against Appomattox we let another one get by us. It happens can't win them all. Daniel Jennings will become the next big star for Graham only if he can learn to hold onto the ball. He coughs it up way too much but he is young I understand that. Graham should be in the mix next season, it will be fun to watch.