Honaker vs Galax

Tigers_07

I'm planning on making the trip to Fuller Field to see it. Other than they started slow and have been on a roll since mid-season idk much about Galax. Honaker looked unbeatable early and has faded a little down the stretch but are still very good, obviously. 

I'm expecting a close game, both teams have beaten some very good 1A competition to get to this point.

What's the start time? 

38 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I'm planning on making the trip to Fuller Field to see it. Other than they started slow and have been on a roll since mid-season idk much about Galax. Honaker looked unbeatable early and has faded a little down the stretch but are still very good, obviously. 

I'm expecting a close game, both teams have beaten some very good 1A competition to get to this point.

What's the start time? 

2 from what I've read

Both teams have been battle tested. Honaker doesn’t play many 2A schools but have played some quality 1A competition. Galax has a brutal schedule to start the season against top tier 2A opponents. Im just not sure how great the Maroon Tide secondary is because they haven’t faced a team that likes to air it out like Honaker. But they are very well coached and I know he will have them as prepared as he can. Im rooting for Galax but taking the Tigers 31-20.

Galax is a winner. It's tough to beat winners in close games. It can be done and Galax can be beat close, but they just rise to the occasion year after year in the west. On years they lose, it's a dang battle for any team in the west to get this bunch out of the playoffs. Honaker is good and can do it, but won't come easy. 

Key to this game imo, Honaker needs to come out red hot an efficient offensively and make the maroon tide play from behind get a 13 point lead. If Galax is right with Honaker in the mid 3rd quarter, bad sign for Honaker. 

This is just my opinion so, it’s sure to be completely wrong. This is also assuming the flat-as-hell team that played Grayson to end the regular season doesn’t show up. 

The Galax front 7 will be the best group Honaker has faced all season. They are physical, love contact and have two All-State players leading the charge. Ahmad Bryson could also be back from a leg injury he suffered earlier in the season. 

The DB’s are much better than Galax has had in a few years also. Galax has as good a defense as you’ll find in Class 1 football. They just lack any semblance of depth. 

Offensively, Galax is quite pedestrian and for whatever reason, don’t utilize the weapons they have. Instead, they settle for the same couple plays over and over and over. On a positive note, they have started to open up the playbook a bit the past two weeks. 

With that said, Galax has seen some exceptional offensive talent this season in Glenvar, Graham, Radford, Grayson (x2) and George Wythe (x2). I’m not convinced Honaker has seen a defense remotely close to Galax. 

I think it’ll be a whale of a ballgame but much lower scoring than people may expect. Honaker will score but Galax will provide much more resistance than they’ve seen all season. 

IF Galax comes out and is physical with them early and limits that very good offense, I think Galax wins by a score or two. If Honaker is able to move the ball at will it will be a large margin victory for them and a berth in Salem. I just believe Galax is likely the most physical team upfront that Honaker will have faced this year. 

From the game film I have seen Honakers whole offense is based on finding a mismatch and exploit it on-a play. They will change the play at the line frequently trying to do that.  

Honaker is a high flying offense that certainly has talent.  On defense they are big across the front. Galax is Galax so it will be an interesting match up. 

Here's my take on the game:

1.   Homefield advantage with a loud and proud crowd can hopefully disrupt the Galax Maroons in creating some offside penalties. 

2.  Honaker can't just play a good 2nd half, they must be dominant all 4 quarters.  Don't give Galax yardage with penalties.  Let them earn the yards.  

3.  Must keep emotions in check.  It should be a close game in score, and the 2nd half has to be played with control, or it  could be kryptonite between a Tiger win or loss.  

4.  Hopefully there's been extra preparation for Honaker's special teams limiting big returns on kickoffs. 

With all that being said, Lord willing, I plan on watching the game Saturday and rooting for the orange and black.

GO TIGERS!!!!

I wonder if Galax DBs show press?  I think they should…it will disrupt timing and Honaker hasn’t really seen it or prepared for it. I noticed Graham came up and pressed the Union WRs on occasion.  It affected them. 

I'm not sure "quality 1A teams" are comparable to Radford, Glenvar, and Graham.  Yes, they lost all 3 of those games, but not sure if beating Rye Cove, PH, and Holston are comparable.  The one that stands out to me is giving up 51 points to Narrows; which Galax did gave up 56 to Radford....but once again Narrows doesn't quite compare to Radford.  The game might be close till halftime or mid 3rd, but in the end I think Galax ground pounds the ball and pulls away.  Galax=take snap, hand to RB, get down hill.  HHS=get good shotgun snap while blocking a nose, all OL make a good block without holding, QB make the right read (probably under pressure), make a good throw, catch and secure the ball, get up field; that's a lot in 1 play.  I know they've done it all season and done it well.  However, this isnt a normal game and normal circumstances.  Galax by 2 TDs. 

Also though if Galax sends pressure if Honaker recognizes it presnap they can find the matchup that best suites them  ahead of time.  Whether it be through the air or on the ground.  Lowe is such an ace in the hole on both sides of the ball.  Narrows put up points being dynamic on offense. If Galax is one dimensional its going to be much harder to gain ground with 9 in the box.

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Also though if Galax sends pressure if Honaker recognizes it presnap they can find the matchup that best suites them  ahead of time.  Whether it be through the air or on the ground.  Lowe is such an ace in the hole on both sides of the ball.  Narrows put up points being dynamic on offense. If Galax is one dimensional its going to be much harder to gain ground with 9 in the box.

Lol Galax has been so one dimensional all year they would probably have to call a time out and reassess  if they saw less than 9 in the box. 

17 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

Lol Galax has been so one dimensional all year they would probably have to call a time out and reassess  if they saw less than 9 in the box. 

Fair point. I havent seen Galax this year.  Running double tights? I was thinking under Dixon, while the still seemed to run almost every play they used to use WRs to spread out the defense somewhat.

35 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Fair point. I havent seen Galax this year.  Running double tights? I was thinking under Dixon, while the still seemed to run almost every play they used to use WRs to spread out the defense somewhat.

It's a variation of the Pistol H-Back similar to Oregon, simplified of course. They move the H-Back around a bit depending on the opponent. Not necessarily double tight ends but provides additional blocking and an outlet out of the backfield. Usually with 2 WR's out wide and another in the slot. They even have a wrinkle or two where they will use double H-Backs in something of a double wing formation. It's effective. I just think they could use the athletes more they have on the outside. Colton Coomes is as gifted an athlete as you'll find anywhere at the Class 1 level. Very few times over the past two seasons has Ayden White not been the fastest player on the field. Damien Heath isn't far behind him. AJ Ashworth is the H-Back. He has been an All-State player the past two years and most certainly will be again this year. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

It's a variation of the Pistol H-Back similar to Oregon, simplified of course. They move the H-Back around a bit depending on the opponent. Not necessarily double tight ends but provides additional blocking and an outlet out of the backfield. Usually with 2 WR's out wide and another in the slot. They even have a wrinkle or two where they will use double H-Backs in something of a double wing formation. It's effective. I just think they could use the athletes more they have on the outside. Colton Coomes is as gifted an athlete as you'll find anywhere at the Class 1 level. Very few times over the past two seasons has Ayden White not been the fastest player on the field. Damien Heath isn't far behind him. AJ Ashworth is the H-Back. He has been an All-State player the past two years and most certainly will be again this year. 

Tucker is the name everyone will hear over the PA, but Ashworth is the straw that stirs the drink, IMO