SWD awards

Dobb83

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

According to Tazewell Bulldog Radio Network, Creasy had 3,373 passing yards and 37 TDs. I'm not sure on Edwards stats. 

how in the hell did he not win the Offensive player of they year?? crazy

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Creasy tied for offensive POY with Edwards. The tiebreaker goes to the one that advances further in the postseason. 

still dont know his numbers but not sure they compare to that!!

8 hours ago, Comegetsum said:

When you can’t win the district you not gonna be player of the year it’s that simple 

That's probably an accurate statement for the SWD. Where one head coach openly campaigns against a player from a rival school. Then votes against his own players best interest in an effort to keep that player from a rival school off the Region 2D podium. 

My thoughts & may be completely off base but traditionally POY in most districts not just SWD goes to a player from the team that wins the district. Creasy is a phenomenal talent obviously and a good kid. Tazewell wouldn’t have been as successful these past three years without him. On the flip side, in the SWD title game between Graham & Tazewell he threw three interceptions before 1st half was over, not sure if he was sacked or how many times. In the Before Regional awards get posted, in Union game, he threw two key interceptions had they been caught be a Tazewell receiver could have changed that game completely. Like I said, I’m not taking anything away from him, he’s very talented & a good kid. Edwards stepped up in Clement’s’ absence and had many key moments that helped GMen go 9-1. Maybe the combination of those things played into the selection.

29 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

My thoughts & may be completely off base but traditionally POY in most districts not just SWD goes to a player from the team that wins the district. Creasy is a phenomenal talent obviously and a good kid. Tazewell wouldn’t have been as successful these past three years without him. On the flip side, in the SWD title game between Graham & Tazewell he threw three interceptions before 1st half was over, not sure if he was sacked or how many times. In the Before Regional awards get posted, in Union game, he threw two key interceptions had they been caught be a Tazewell receiver could have changed that game completely. Like I said, I’m not taking anything away from him, he’s very talented & a good kid. Edwards stepped up in Clement’s’ absence and had many key moments that helped GMen go 9-1. Maybe the combination of those things played into the selection.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I have multiple sources who were in the room when the SWD meeting took place at Fincastle. Literally nothing else played into the voting. It almost came to blows when Palmer was called out for his "politics" in trying to ensure Creasy wasn't voted POY. 

Maybe it would be beneficial to not belly-up to the bar the night before the biggest game of the season. 

Facts are what they are but the interceptions mentioned earlier, Union, one was critical and probably decided the game.  The other was on a third and long so it was as good as a punt if not better.  Still an int yes but field position was very critical at that point in the game.  Graham, the first two were because of an option route that was run by the receiver that he thought they were stopping instead of continuing the route.  That was caused by the huge amount of pressure he was facing and didn't have time to read it properly.  The third was a heck of a play by Edwards to snag it away.  Plus I won't discuss injuries in much detail but he was sick going into that game and probably shouldn't have even played.  For those that know the details, there is no way you can doubt his toughness trying to play through what he did.

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I have multiple sources who were in the room when the SWD meeting took place at Fincastle. Literally nothing else played into the voting. It almost came to blows when Palmer was called out for his "politics" in trying to ensure Creasy wasn't voted POY. 

Maybe it would be beneficial to not belly-up to the bar the night before the biggest game of the season. 

I wasn’t there but was only giving a fact that could have played into the vote obviously you’re more privy to insider information than myself. 

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I wasn’t there but was only giving a fact that could have played into the vote obviously you’re more privy to insider information than myself. 

It is what it is!!! There is probably something shady going on inside every district and region in Virginia where rivalries are concerned. It tends to bring out the worst in people. 

In my opinion, the district voting could have gone either way had it been done at face value so, a tie was probably the correct outcome. However, the shadiness really starts to have a greater impact when you look at the Region 2D voting. I'm not sure actively voting against the best interest of your own players in an effort to get some level of revenge on a rival player is the most adult, responsible thing to do. Kind-of gives credence to some of the criticisms Palmer has received over the years. But I digress. It's not my argument. Just seems petty and quite childish for a supposed leader of men. 

Graham has had a great run the past several years. It doesn't appear that will taper-off any time soon. Lots of talent in and around that area. Bluefield will not be down for long either. Plenty of talent to sustain two state level programs.

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It is what it is!!! There is probably something shady going on inside every district and region in Virginia where rivalries are concerned. It tends to bring out the worst in people. 

In my opinion, the district voting could have gone either way had it been done at face value so, a tie was probably the correct outcome. However, the shadiness really starts to have a greater impact when you look at the Region 2D voting. I'm not sure actively voting against the best interest of your own players in an effort to get some level of revenge on a rival player is the most adult, responsible thing to do. Kind-of gives credence to some of the criticisms Palmer has received over the years. But I digress. It's not my argument. Just seems petty and quite childish for a supposed leader of men. 

Graham has had a great run the past several years. It doesn't appear that will taper-off any time soon. Lots of talent in and around that area. Bluefield will not be down for long either. Plenty of talent to sustain two state level programs.

Creasy is deserving of every bit of praise & accolades. I’d would never argue otherwise. Kid is tough as they come. There were players named last year & others not where I thought they should be and same this year but I don’t get a vote. Every year, any of us could point to a player we think got slighted. In the grand scheme of things. these awards have no bearing on the success a kid has once they leave high school.  I guess the old adage, to the victor goes the spoils. I sure the bargaining and deal making goes on in every district & region. It’s the nature of the beast. 

Good luck Saturday, hope Galax can bring back the championship to our part of the state.

9 hours ago, EH31 said:

Jayden Daniels is going to win the Heisman and LSU finished 5th in the SEC

This right here. RG3 won the Heisman and played in the Alamo Bowl. Johnny Manziel won it and didn't play for a natty. Hell Tim Tebow won the Heisman in a season where he didn't win the natty. Chuck Howley won Super Bowl V MVP and the Cowboys lost. 

Creasy should have won offensive player of the year, but politics. Palmer just needs his accolades for recruiting purposes, and he got called on it.  

Never should an individual award be decided by a team either. By that logic, Creasy could of had the game of his life and still lost, but it would go to Edwards, even if he had multiple fumbles, minimal yards, and no touchdowns simply bc his team finished further. Edwards was all but no factor in the playoffs, it was all Clements. 

30 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

And Taz does what without creasy 

Oh I 100% agree with that. I am sure the rivalry had a lot to do with this. IMO Tazewell is in a dog fight with VA High Marion and Lebanon without Creasy at QB.

I think this whole conversation boils down to what these awards mean to the people voted. Is it given to the best player, the player that has the best stats, or the player that meant to most to their team.

Creasy's stats would by far put him as one of the best in the state.

One could argue that the best QB in the district is Mike Reese and if you put him on Tazewell or Grahams roster his stats would be better. Also if you vote a kid POY he is automatically 1st team at his position which brings back up the Reese Creasy debate again.

If POY is the kid that meant the most to their team its probably Clements but he missed too much time during the season to get that award. 

27 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Oh I 100% agree with that. I am sure the rivalry had a lot to do with this. IMO Tazewell is in a dog fight with VA High Marion and Lebanon without Creasy at QB.

I think this whole conversation boils down to what these awards mean to the people voted. Is it given to the best player, the player that has the best stats, or the player that meant to most to their team.

Creasy's stats would by far put him as one of the best in the state.

One could argue that the best QB in the district is Mike Reese and if you put him on Tazewell or Grahams roster his stats would be better. Also if you vote a kid POY he is automatically 1st team at his position which brings back up the Reese Creasy debate again.

If POY is the kid that meant the most to their team its probably Clements but he missed too much time during the season to get that award. 

What rivalry? 😉