So who’s good?

BigWinners

10 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Boy they do beat up on Filipowski don't they, or everyone for that matter...  We need another Grayson Allen to even the terms.  Lol

I’ve been a Duke fan since late 80s and this is the softest team I’ve ever seen them have

7 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham is at Bluefield tonight in the old high school gym.  I don't think it has the capacity to hold the crowd to show up.  I hear when they get to 1000, they are going to turn folks away.  Should be interesting to see how Graham stacks up.  Bluefield always fields a good basketball team and this year is no exception.  Still seems like Graham isn't in basketball shape yet, from what I've watched.  They play Bluefield again in a couple weeks, that might be a better indicator.

Graham won 58-56

14 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Who’s their go to guy? Fix?

There's not just one, three in double digits tonight, Ray, Graham, & Fix; Relatively young team. That place was electrifying tonight. Great game! Don't quote me but I don't think Graham has beat Bluefield at actual BHS gymnasium since I was in school in the 80s. I will say the best player on the court for Bluefield was RJ Hairston , I think he accounted for 1/2 their points. 

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Who’s their go to guy? Fix?

Blake Graham and Marquel Ray are the go to guys for Graham, in my opinion.  Ray is the leader on the floor, he dictates the offensive play, very good ball handler and decision maker, good defender with good hands, causes turnovers..  Blake  can score and is very scrappy and plays good defense, can make steals and block shots.  Fix contributes quite a bit for a freshman, but he along with G. Palmer (another freshman) and a few others all contribute about the same, good group of players that rotate in and out without any noticeable drop off.

54 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

There's not just one, three in double digits tonight, Ray, Graham, & Fix; Relatively young team. That place was electrifying tonight. Great game! Don't quote me but I don't think Graham has beat Bluefield at actual BHS gymnasium since I was in school in the 80s. I will say the best player on the court for Bluefield was RJ Hairston , I think he accounted for 1/2 their points. 

Hairston and Gore combined for 50 of Bluefield’s 56 points

I really think the Beaver/Graham game tonight when it's all said and done will help both teams. 

Graham is young and talented but tonight's win shows them that they have some great potential. 

For Bluefield, I think this loss, right before a holiday break, will stew in them and show that they are beatable if they do not bring it for 32 minutes. 

Great job both teams, it was fun to be there, the 10th of January should be good as well.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Blake Graham and Marquel Ray are the go to guys for Graham, in my opinion.  Ray is the leader on the floor, he dictates the offensive play, very good ball handler and decision maker, good defender with good hands, causes turnovers..  Blake  can score and is very scrappy and plays good defense, can make steals and block shots.  Fix contributes quite a bit for a freshman, but he along with G. Palmer (another freshman) and a few others all contribute about the same, good group of players that rotate in and out without any noticeable drop off.

To be honest, they had a great game plan last night.  They took it right at Hairston and got a couple of fouls on him early so he couldn't be aggressive.  Bluefield kept firing up threes, Graham kept getting easy bucket in close.  Not sure Bluefield was ready to go up against a team that had as many good athletes as they have.  Best high school game I've watched in a while.

On 12/22/2023 at 5:40 PM, gwloyal said:

You serious??

Never would have made that connection. Not only does she get it from her dad, but she get's it from her grandpa Kenny. Kenny is the real baller lol

Kenny Wayne was my dads HS coach at Rye Cove.  He still talks fondly of the person and coach he was.  He follows Carroll on NFHS to keep up with his granddaughter.  

On 12/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Against Dorman?  Ha!

They will have a fighter's chance in the 6th place bracket, however if they're playing a northeast Tennessee school, the refs will probably give benefit of the doubt calls to the Tennessee school.  Just ask Twin Springs fans that these last couple of years.

I'll have my crow served over easy. With BBQ sauce. 

Congratulations G-Dub on one of the biggest upsets in Arby's Classic history. Unbelievable performance! 

On 12/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, Stelley said:

Tier 1 teams (should be the favorites to win the region):

Graham

Gate City

Tier 2 teams (no one would be shocked if they beat a tier 1 team):

Virginia High

Union

Lebanon

Central

Tier 3 teams ( teams that have a shot at beating a tier 2 and a very very slight possibility of beating a tier 1):

Ridgeview

Marion

Battle

Tier 4 teams (teams that could possibly beat a tier 3 but that is it):

Richlands

Lee

Tazewell

Looks to be pretty accurate after seeing the UVA tourney

Carroll County is legit, good. They are 10-0 with impressive wins over some traditionally talented schools.

• 71-48 over East Wilkes NC
  • 51-21 over Radford
  • 71-52 over Narrows
  • 91-61 over Alleghany
  • 81-61 over Glenvar

I thought Alleghany would be the main competition for the TRD crown. It looks like CC may just run away from everyone else in the district. CC also has only 3 seniors on the roster.

On 12/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, Observer said:

Central is not a tier 2 team.  They have a tier 2 player, but not team.

On 12/31/2023 at 2:12 AM, Wade_1 said:

This is a bad take 

I will admit I was wrong.  The Warriors are playing good right now.