Updated football fields

fishfan

20 minutes ago, techfan said:

I hope I'm wrong I really do because it could be a great addition but judging by the things I'm seeing out there currently and the pace up at Graham I'd be shocked if we aren't wondering when they are starting still in July or August.  I just don't have my hopes up.

Lots more work to do at Graham. Tazewell shouldn't take nearly as long,

36 minutes ago, CPF said:

Lots more work to do at Graham. Tazewell shouldn't take nearly as long,

I thought the Tazewell project included moving and modifying the visitors bleachers along with a new track which will require more expansion. I'm not certain about the depth of the Graham project I'm sure it will take longer. 

1 hour ago, techfan said:

I thought the Tazewell project included moving and modifying the visitors bleachers along with a new track which will require more expansion. I'm not certain about the depth of the Graham project I'm sure it will take longer. 

They are having to cut trees and work on the drainage pond as well.  Tazewell I think involves a retaining wall. Either way shouldn't be long. 

25 minutes ago, CPF said:

They are having to cut trees and work on the drainage pond as well.  Tazewell I think involves a retaining wall. Either way shouldn't be long. 

I applaud your enthusiasm but my 25+ years of experience in the engineering world tell me, everything reasonable goes out the window when design and construction involve state and federal agencies. 

Tree removal, sediment basins, and retaining walls all require DEQ permits before construction can begin. DEQ review of construction plans is a minimum, 9-month process. More often than not, it's longer. If they require changes to the plans, the calendar starts all over again. 

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I applaud your enthusiasm but my 25+ years of experience in the engineering world tell me, everything reasonable goes out the window when design and construction involve state and federal agencies. 

Tree removal, sediment basins, and retaining walls all require DEQ permits before construction can begin. DEQ review of construction plans is a minimum, 9-month process. More often than not, it's longer. If they require changes to the plans, the calendar starts all over again. 

You are correct. They've had the money for 2 years for the Graham project. The reason it had not started before now was the state and the EPA.  Work in Bluefield has begun. Work in Tazewell and Richlands was approved by school board in the fall.  Contracts are approved and should start soon.

8 minutes ago, CPF said:

You are correct. They've had the money for 2 years for the Graham project. The reason it had not started before now was the state and the EPA.  Work in Bluefield has begun. Work in Tazewell and Richlands was approved by school board in the fall.  Contracts are approved and should start soon.

EPA is called DEQ in Virginia. Department of Environmental Quality. No project over 10,000 square feet involving disturbance of existing ground conditions in Virginia can go to construction without a permit from them. 

If school board just approved the contracts for design and construction last fall, design has barely even begun at this point. The engineers have barely had enough time to get survey data back to begin design. If this is indeed the case, construction will not begin before 2025. What was once a 6-month process to get from field survey to construction is now 18-months. Especially considering most state agencies in charge of review and issuance of necessary permits to go to construction are still working from home.

I'm not involved in the Tazewell County projects but I've been directly involved in a number of turf installations over the years in other localities. 

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

EPA is called DEQ in Virginia. Department of Environmental Quality. No project over 10,000 square feet involving disturbance of existing ground conditions in Virginia can go to construction without a permit from them. 

If school board just approved the contracts for design and construction last fall, design has barely even begun at this point. The engineers have barely had enough time to get survey data back to begin design. If this is indeed the case, construction will not begin before 2025. What was once a 6-month process to get from field survey to construction is now 18-months. Especially considering most state agencies in charge of review and issuance of necessary permits to go to construction are still working from home.

I'm not involved in the Tazewell County projects but I've been directly involved in a number of turf installations over the years in other localities. 

All I can tell you is drive by Graham high school. Work began 1st week of January. It will be complete by summer.

22 minutes ago, CPF said:

All I can tell you is drive by Graham high school. Work began 1st week of January. It will be complete by summer.

I misunderstood you earlier. TCPS awarded contracts in the fall to contractors, not contracts to a design firm. If construction has begun at Graham and the project has a competent contractor, work should be completed by summer unless we experience something biblical weather wise. 

20 minutes ago, CPF said:

And design wasn't started in the fall. The contracts were awarded to the construction company in the fall with work to begin after Jan 1st.

That doesn't mean Graham, Tazewell and Richlands were designed simultaneously and doesn't mean they will be constructed simultaneously either. Each school will be submitted to DEQ as a separate project for review. Each will have a different and unique timeline through that process. Graham is obviously past that process but the other two may very well not be. Especially if DEQ requested changes to the original design, which would begin the clock all over again for a second review. DEQ could grant TCPS permission to bid each of the three projects based on initial design with the caveat, no construction shall begin prior to certain changes being approved through DEQ for the other two schools. That could explain why Tazewell and Richlands have approved a contractor but work hasn't begun. If no public funds are being used for the projects, TCPS would be free to hire whomever they choose without having to go through competitive bids. Which could also explain why contractors have been hired but work hasn't commenced. 

Either way, it's a much more lengthy process than most people realize. 

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I misunderstood you earlier. TCPS awarded contracts in the fall to contractors, not contracts to a design firm. If construction has begun at Graham and the project has a competent contractor, work should be completed by summer unless we experience something biblical weather wise. 

That doesn't mean Graham, Tazewell and Richlands were designed simultaneously and doesn't mean they will be constructed simultaneously either. Each school will be submitted to DEQ as a separate project for review. Each will have a different and unique timeline through that process. Graham is obviously past that process but the other two may very well not be. Especially if DEQ requested changes to the original design, which would begin the clock all over again for a second review. DEQ could grant TCPS permission to bid each of the three projects based on initial design with the caveat, no construction shall begin prior to certain changes being approved through DEQ for the other two schools. That could explain why Tazewell and Richlands have approved a contractor but work hasn't begun. If no public funds are being used for the projects, TCPS would be free to hire whomever they choose without having to go through competitive bids. Which could also explain why contractors have been hired but work hasn't commenced. 

Correct. Richlands is only turf replacement though I was told.

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Bids for all 3 jobs went out last July I believe. And was approved in either August or Sept. Can't remember which it was. But was told all 3 will be complete by August.

I just found out, Tazewell already has stormwater in place below the existing grass. That makes the process much simpler. Still requires DEQ approval but from a design and construction perspective, much quicker turnaround. 

They should have no problem finishing construction by August. 

16 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I just want to know where are all the turf in the devil people on this tread? Shouldn't everyone be playing on grass? That is the way the game was meant to be played right, on grass and the illegal forward pass.

I think at the college & NFL level, you should be playing on grass. But for high schools, I'm all for turf just because it's easier to maintain for small schools. 

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I just want to know where are all the turf in the devil people on this tread? 

I'm not a fan of turf at any level. We have well over 20 years of data that strongly suggests increased injury, especially in younger people who haven't fully developed. But it's the trend and I don't see it going away anytime soon. 

What's the deal with Graham?  Is it simply "a field?"  Or.....are they building a new football stadium where Graham will play home football games there?  Huge difference in a "new field" or "new track" and a new stadium which means...parking, seats, bleachers, lots of concrete for bleachers and concessions, etc.  Anyone know if Graham is building a home football stadium or simply putting down turf for a practice field?  Thanks in advance.  By reading this thread, I think it's a new stadium, but I'm not all the way sure.  Somebody wrote that Graham would be complete with their project by August?  If it's August, that sounds to me like a new "field" and only that, not a new "stadium."  It seems a new stadium wouldn't be anywhere close to being done by August.....if it's a new stadium.

11 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

What's the deal with Graham?  Is it simply "a field?"  Or.....are they building a new football stadium where Graham will play home football games there?  Huge difference in a "new field" or "new track" and a new stadium which means...parking, seats, bleachers, lots of concrete for bleachers and concessions, etc.  Anyone know if Graham is building a home football stadium or simply putting down turf for a practice field?  Thanks in advance.  By reading this thread, I think it's a new stadium, but I'm not all the way sure.  Somebody wrote that Graham would be complete with their project by August?  If it's August, that sounds to me like a new "field" and only that, not a new "stadium."  It seems a new stadium wouldn't be anywhere close to being done by August.....if it's a new stadium.

Turf complete by August is my understanding and they’re getting a track around I believe. Stadium will come later financed by the community. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Someone can correct if this is fake news! 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

For 2024......it's a field with lights a soccer field and a track. Beyond that.......it's going to end up a stadium. It's just a matter of when. They arent spending a million dollars for a practice field. Most likely 25 or 26 Graham will be playing most games on campus.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Turf complete by August is my understanding and they’re getting a track around I believe. Stadium will come later financed by the community. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 Someone can correct if this is fake news! 😂😂😂😂

I've been told by multiple folks in the know the money will be there to finish the stadium.

20 minutes ago, CPF said:

I've been told by multiple folks in the know the money will be there to finish the stadium.

Hearing similar things.  It will be a joint venture with tcps and the town of Bluefield, Va.  It will be used for rec leagues and school functions, similar to the gyms behind Graham High School.  Just hope they make it nice and don't try to do the bare minimum.

1 minute ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Something with DEQ.

It's always something with DEQ. Has to be the most inefficient, incompetent state agency in Virginia. I got an email from them last week about one of my projects that read "we're happy to report, you're review is scheduled to be completed by July 19."

The project was submitted to them in October!!!