Region 1D and 2D Region Tournament Boys Scores and Updates

18 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Floyd County goes down to Chatham 74-66 after leading by 11 to start the 4th quarter.  Chatham shot the lights out in the 4th.

OMG! The parity just doesn't end. Floyd was supposed to be the best team in 2C. Said this earlier man, a team like Lebanon could play for a state title. I know Lebanon is now done with the loss to Union, but even a team like Lebanon was that close to playing for a state title because C is equally as bad or worse than 2D, and 2D is just parity all over. Floyd actually beat Blacksburg once and beat Carroll County once and Blacksburg beat Auburn twice. That score (Floyd loss) is unbelievable.

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Man the entire West is just so mediocre this year. Not one very good team out of the entire half of the state. 

It's freakin unbelievable man. There is just know way in 50 years this will happen again. I know 50 years is long time and sounds like hyperbole and it probably is, but what's happening this year just hasn't happened in like.......ever. There is literally not one elite or stand out team. A couple seem "better" than others, but there's just nothing that jumps out AT ALL in the west. 

And Good Lord, for this once in a generation type year to happen in the John Marshall Era. We might be talking about a win in the vicinity of 60 points by John Marshall in the state title game. I would take 50 points and JM if someone offered it. 

15 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

OMG! The parity just doesn't end. Floyd was supposed to be the best team in 2C. Said this earlier man, a team like Lebanon could play for a state title. I know Lebanon is now done with the loss to Union, but even a team like Lebanon was that close to playing for a state title because C is equally as bad or worse than 2D, and 2D is just parity all over. Floyd actually beat Blacksburg once and beat Carroll County once and Blacksburg beat Auburn twice. That score (Floyd loss) is unbelievable.

Floyd was definitely not the team to beat in 2C.  They went to the wire twice with a very mediocre Radford team.  they only one the so-called TRD Tourney because the best Carroll player got hurt right before the half.   I imagine they got out out coached again.  

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

VHS won big. Graham won easily. Union barely escaped with W, havent saw GC score yet. 

I’m not sure Union beats VA High if they barely got by Lebanon. I know matchups aren’t always transitive but I didn’t expect it to be almost a buzzer beater win for Union tonight.

8 minutes ago, RadCat said:

Floyd was definitely not the team to beat in 2C.  They went to the wire twice with a very mediocre Radford team.  they only one the so-called TRD Tourney because the best Carroll player got hurt right before the half.   I imagine they got out out coached again.  

I think they were because Nobody Else was. Radford isn't very good, but neither is Martinsville and Glenvar ain't great. Floyd beat Radford and Glenvar twice and Blacksburg once. By default, there really isn't anybody left to pick other than Floyd in Region C. Nobody is that good. Unless you want to argue Chatham or Gretna? Martinsville fans have came on here and one states, "this team is terrible." Who else is left to pick?

3 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think they were because Nobody Else was. Radford isn't very good, but neither is Martinsville and Glenvar ain't great. Floyd beat Radford and Glenvar twice and Blacksburg once. By default, there really isn't anybody left to pick other than Floyd in Region C. Nobody is that good. Unless you want to argue Chatham or Gretna? Martinsville fans have came on here and one states, "this team is terrible." Who else is left to pick?

Martinsville beat Dan River tonight 58-41. The terrible bunch play Radford Thursday at 6. Hope we can keep it within 20 points. One thing about the Dogs this year, we're short but we make up for it by being really slow.

4 minutes ago, pdfan said:

Martinsville beat Dan River tonight 58-41. The terrible bunch play Radford Thursday at 6. Hope we can keep it within 20 points. One thing about the Dogs this year, we're short but we make up for it by being really slow.

Aren't you the one that said on here a couple of days ago that Martinsville was terrible this year and you didn't know how they won 15 games this year?  So, you sounded serious 2 days ago, but now are passing it off as a joke. Which is it? 

37 minutes ago, RadCat said:

Martinsville and Floyd I thought were the 2 best in C. Floyd was good. Martinsville is good. We got a history of playing a great game against Martinsville in recent yrs. I think they take us, but under 10 pts. Don't know about Chatham. We are young. Bulldogs have a bunch of seniors. Matchup favors Dogs this yr

47 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

It's freakin unbelievable man. There is just know way in 50 years this will happen again. I know 50 years is long time and sounds like hyperbole and it probably is, but what's happening this year just hasn't happened in like.......ever. There is literally not one elite or stand out team. A couple seem "better" than others, but there's just nothing that jumps out AT ALL in the west. 

And Good Lord, for this once in a generation type year to happen in the John Marshall Era. We might be talking about a win in the vicinity of 60 points by John Marshall in the state title game. I would take 50 points and JM if someone offered it. 

50? I’d give 100 if JM truly wanted to make a statement. It’s insane, the gap between the west and the east. In my lifetime, this is as bad as it’s been in 2D. A lot of decently good teams but no truly good team. 

and @Gridiron60 I don’t believe Union will beat VHS. Union struggles in the half court and VHS should have no real issues scoring. Union played ultra slow tonight, I dunno why. If they do that against a better shooting team in VHS, it could get out of hand. 

The best team in the region in my opinion is Gretna. They got off to a slow start this year but have everybody back from last years team. They'll be a tough out. Martinsville is a very scrappy bunch,  a lot of kids in the 6'1" to 6' 3" range, that play very hard on the defensive end of the court. Offensively they do it by committee, usually a different leading scorer every game. Radford-Martinsville and Chatham- Gretna should be two good games Thursday.

7 minutes ago, pdfan said:

The best team in the region in my opinion is Gretna. They got off to a slow start this year but have everybody back from last years team. They'll be a tough out. Martinsville is a very scrappy bunch,  a lot of kids in the 6'1" to 6' 3" range, that play very hard on the defensive end of the court. Offensively they do it by committee, usually a different leading scorer every game. Radford-Martinsville and Chatham- Gretna should be two good games Thursday.

Pdfan, how is the new coach in Bulldog land? Is he popular with the fans? Is he changing or trending the culture back to old form? Scary stuff if that happens. Record turnaround speaks for itself

Pdfan, how is the new coach in Bulldog land? Is he popular with the fans? Is he changing or trending the culture back to old form? Scary stuff if that happens. Record turnaround speaks for itself

In my opinion he is doing a good job. He's not everyone's cup of tea. He coaches the boys hard, which they are not used to. He had a couple of kids quit and he lost a couple of big men ( 6'6" and 6'5") who could of really helped but they got in trouble at school and they were gone. He's a former player at the University of Buffalo, played overseas for a number of years and also worked in the Chicago Bulls organization for a couple of years. He's from Rahway, NJ so he brings a certain type of toughness to the program. He also coached the jv team this year who ended up only losing 3 or 4 games. I hope we can keep him.

8 hours ago, breckt said:

Grayson Co 84 Narrows 71 Final

You’d be hard-pressed to find many two game stretches where Grayson scored 84 points this season. Jesus Narrows needs to get out of that gawd-awful Pioneer!

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

50? I’d give 100 if JM truly wanted to make a statement. It’s insane, the gap between the west and the east. In my lifetime, this is as bad as it’s been in 2D. A lot of decently good teams but no truly good team. 

and @Gridiron60 I don’t believe Union will beat VHS. Union struggles in the half court and VHS should have no real issues scoring. Union played ultra slow tonight, I dunno why. If they do that against a better shooting team in VHS, it could get out of hand. 

John Marshall beat a good 2A Radford team 91-34 last year in the title game, so there is no way anyone stays within 50 this year.  They don't let up.

14 hours ago, breckt said:

Abingdon 67 Carroll Co 52 Final

Unfortunate for Carroll County. I heard last night, they lost their 30 PPG scorer to a season ending injury a few minutes into the district tournament championship game against Floyd. 

Tough way for the best season in school history to end. 

Edit to add; his dad confirmed a dislocated kneecap early in the 2nd quarter against Floyd in the TRD Tournament Championship game. 

Welp if anyone tries to say that free throws don’t win big games they’re lying. Lebanon shot 4-6 from the line while Union shot 6-6 Lebanon lost by one. Marion shot 5-6 from the line and Gate City shot 17-22 from the line. Marion lost by 5.