Region 1D and 2D Region Tournament Boys Scores and Updates

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

What was season record of Graham/VHS?

I'm going to say 1-1 I'm throwing out the 1st game that's when VA High had Ethan Carpenter, this is a different VA High team now and now more beatable than before 

2 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

I heard that no one could agree on a venue change so it reverted back to Gate City.

And I thought the only time coaches couldn't agree was in all-district meetings... 

What a shocker, right? 

I’m guessing Virginia High wanted to play at home , don’t blame them & Graham was a no go for that.

Maybe they could have done rock, paper, scissors , best two of three…I mean there are worse ways to decide a neutral venue 😂 

1 hour ago, Bcats said:

I'm going to say 1-1 I'm throwing out the 1st game that's when VA High had Ethan Carpenter, this is a different VA High team now and now more beatable than before 

I think VH is 2 and 1 over Graham this year.  VH played without Carpenter the last 2 games vs Graham if im not mistaken was 13 point loss and a 6 point win.

48 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I think VH is 2 and 1 over Graham this year.  VH played without Carpenter the last 2 games vs Graham if im not mistaken was 13 point loss and a 6 point win.

Yeah it's 2-1 I'm throwing that out cause it's 1-1 with the team they both have now. I think in the last 2 meeting Graham has won 7 of the 8 quarters, va high jump up big last game then lost every quarter an just held on, this game can go either way 

1 hour ago, Bcats said:

Yeah it's 2-1 I'm throwing that out cause it's 1-1 with the team they both have now. I think in the last 2 meeting Graham has won 7 of the 8 quarters, va high jump up big last game then lost every quarter an just held on, this game can go either way 

If Graham gives them 12 points again right off the bat, it’s going to be tough to pull out a win. Graham is capable of winning but not letting the Bearcats have a run like that at the beginning of the game. 

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Same amount of SWD girls teams. 

I don’t think this shocks anyone, I posted in this thread I believe or the other one that Graham is a terrible matchup for GC. Those guards ate GC up after the half and they couldn’t just feed it to GG. 

The boys were at least competitive in their games. The M7 and SWD are close most years. The M7 has DOMINATED the entire state in girls:) Central got hosed by the VCU medical staff one year but have won what 7? GC has won 2 and RV has also won state titles.

2 hours ago, Unchained said:

The boys were at least competitive in their games. The M7 and SWD are close most years. The M7 has DOMINATED the entire state in girls:) Central got hosed by the VCU medical staff one year but have won what 7? GC has won 2 and RV has also won state titles.

Elaborate on the medical staff?

1 hour ago, Bcats said:

The Martinsville vs Gretna game is that their semi or is that their region championship 

Same as Graham and VH.  It's their region title.  Radford and Floyd are eliminated.

For the Graham-VH winner or loser, it sounds like it's about the same.  Seems like all 4 teams left are very close and anything goes.  I guess I would rather play at home instead of away, so the region title games do matter because that home court advantage might be the tiny difference in 4 pretty darn evenly matched teams it seems.

3 minutes ago, breckt said:

It was their region championship. Gretna won 41-33. 

So Gretna will host the VA-Graham loser while Martinsville will travel to the VA-Graham winner. This thing could turn.  For example, all 4 teams are so close that lets say Graham loses to Virginia High.  It's a situation where Graham could turn around and beat Gretna and Martinsville could turn around and beat VH on the road.  All 4 teams are close, very close. 

As for Graham and GC.  Credit to Todd Baker.  He pulled off some high level stuff in my opinion.  Used his athleticism as much as possible to counter GC's size and strength, but also saved his athleticism and the press until the 4th quarter because Graham has a limited number of guys that play, so didn't want to gas them.  That was like landing an airplane or balancing a tightrope based on the timing, when to do, how to do it with the guys he had, etc.  Wizardry was pulled in GC last night by Graham's head man.

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

So Gretna will host the VA-Graham loser while Martinsville will travel to the VA-Graham winner. This thing could turn.  For example, all 4 teams are so close that lets say Graham loses to Virginia High.  It's a situation where Graham could turn around and beat Gretna and Martinsville could turn around and beat VH on the road.  All 4 teams are close, very close. 

Very true but don't you think a 3+ hour bus ride for the loser of the Virginia High/Graham game could play a big factor? 

4 hours ago, Unchained said:

I got hosed by a medical staff once, when I was in a coma.

48 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The Gretna-Martinsville game was 35-33 with 1:05 to go when the Dogs missed a short shot for the tie and Gretna's big man got fouled on the rebound. He hit the 2 free throws for the four point lead and added 4 more in the last :30 seconds for the final 41-33 score. It was a really even game, good hard nosed defense and both teams played hard clean basketball. They could both win the next round but they could also easily lose. VHS and Graham are each going to be handfuls to play against. I wonder where Gretna will play? Their gym isn't that big and it's a hard place to play, a very raucous crowd so to speak. Good luck to the four teams left in the west. 

5 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

UVA-Wise game times today

2pm Eastside-Honaker girls

3:30 Chilhowie-Honaker boys

7:30 Wise-Ridgeview girls

Why not have them all back to back???

$$$$$$ maybe? If they’d had them back to back maybe Graham/VH could have played at 7:30pm there. At VT they’re playing 4 games & cost is $15 per day. They could have done that. 

9 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

UVA-Wise game times today

2pm Eastside-Honaker girls

3:30 Chilhowie-Honaker boys

7:30 Wise-Ridgeview girls

Why not have them all back to back???

Each region is responsible for their own tournament. This is two different regions playing in the same venue. Most likely a lack of coordination coupled with the desires of the teams playing telling their respective region their preference. 

10 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

As for Graham and GC.  Credit to Todd Baker.  He pulled off some high level stuff in my opinion.  Used his athleticism as much as possible to counter GC's size and strength, but also saved his athleticism and the press until the 4th quarter because Graham has a limited number of guys that play, so didn't want to gas them.  That was like landing an airplane or balancing a tightrope based on the timing, when to do, how to do it with the guys he had, etc.  Wizardry was pulled in GC last night by Graham's head man.

I do think it could be the difference if the two are very closely matched up talent wise.  Not so much the bus ride as this is no factor in my opinion for today's 16 and 17 year old kids.  They are chilling, listening to music, enjoying it.  But, playing in a foreign gym, an unknown, simply not playing in your home gym can be the difference in 2, 3, or 4 points in my opinion.