Sign in to follow this  
JGray

SWVA Best

30 posts in this topic

I really don't get all the vitriol towards this kid.  I saw him in the state tourney last year and he was the best player at JMU.  He scored almost at will at times.  He shared the ball (a little too much IMHO).  His defense was not the thing legends are made of but he was no slouch either.  His height (or lack there of) was about the only negative thing I saw...and there ain't much to do about that.  I never saw an iota of non-sportsmanship from him...especially for kid who has that kind of hops. 

And I am NOT a GC fan in any way or fashion...but that kid does not deserve the BS spewed by folks like Truther. 

He is a really good athlete and basketball player.  As far as the best player out of SWVA I'm going to throw another name at you that played at the same time as the Ervin's. He messed up in life and you never knew what he may do on or off the court, but maybe the best basketball player I saw play in this area was Duffy Gilmore from Ervinton.  I think his senior year he averaged 35 and was the state player of the year without being the district player of the year.  He didn't go on to have the career's as the others mentioned because of mistakes he made, but he was really, really good.

I remember my uncle taking me to watch Joe Stiltner when Bland would come to Fries.  He seemed like superman to my 5 year old self.  I think my uncle told me he went to NC State but got into some trouble and was either kicked out or left school after only a season.

Stiltner averaged 41.6 points per game his senior year and 27.1 points per game for his career at Bland.  I pulled those numbers from the VHSL Book of Records.

Steve Marsee is the one player from SWVA I would have loved to have seen play.  The stories of him at Pennington in the 70s are something else.  Had an offer to play for Mears at TN.

20 hours ago, halosports said:

He is a really good athlete and basketball player.  As far as the best player out of SWVA I'm going to throw another name at you that played at the same time as the Ervin's. He messed up in life and you never knew what he may do on or off the court, but maybe the best basketball player I saw play in this area was Duffy Gilmore from Ervinton.  I think his senior year he averaged 35 and was the state player of the year without being the district player of the year.  He didn't go on to have the career's as the others mentioned because of mistakes he made, but he was really, really good.

Duffy was at Haysi his first two years and I was one of the few friends he had there.  I can remember seeing him on video pulling off a massive tomahawk one year in a game against Powell Valley.  Crazy stuff.

The game he had in the Region D tournament at Clinchco with Ervinton against Boo Sensabaugh and JI Burton was insane.  One of the best high school basketball games I have ever seen.