Carroll County @ Grundy

Lance

Thoughts?

I said at the first of the year that I think it might be Grundy vs Richlands in the last week with both teams at 9-0...you guys said I was a homer and crazy.

Grundy should be ok against Tazewell, so this is it...if anyone is going to kill my prediction it's these pesky Carroll County Cav's.

I know what I've heard about what CC has going this year, but I've not seen them in person.

I do know Grundy is without 4th year starting QB John Kelly...and they have yet to show much of a passing game since he went down.

Ben Rife and Cody Justus split time at QB so far and we've had some good production with Berglowe mostly carrying the team on two feet. I know how far he has carried us so far, just not sure how much of a load you can place on a 150 pound RB and expect him to deliver each week?

I like to think that as Grundy plays these last few SWD games, it has been a year of destiny for the Wave...they got their first real test last week from Abingdon of all people after Jake Hess got fired up and put on a 2nd half passing clinic...but in the end, the Wave found a way to hang on and get the win.

I hope that this week the boys can play up to the level I've seen them play at and can get the win...I don't know anyone other than CC fans that wouldn't like to see Grundy and Richlands at 9-0 for the last game of the year. It's a huge test this week and I think Grundy is up to it...even though a little beaten up, these kids play like a team and are family to each other...been a long time since we have had that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill tell ya what I really do believe Grundy will be unbeaten when they get to the Richlands game I said it as well at the start of the year and people were calling me stupid and every other name and here we are just 3 weeks away from it happening. The kid Berglowe is about as good as ive seen what he lacks in size he makes up for double in heart there is no quit and that kid and that is something that is often overlooked.

I would love to see a "Battle of the Unbeatens" and i think we will. I haven't seen CC this year but i hear they can run the rock pretty well. Should be a good one this friday @ Grundy. I'm going with the Wave here by a TD.

These kids for grundy this year in my opinon are a very very special group for that group of young men to battle through all the losses and things not going there way for years did they quit NO. They stuck it out worked harder than most teams around this area and refused to let anything keep the golden wave down. I am happy for this team they have overcome all odds and now have a VERY good shot at taking home the SWD in there final year. My message to the young men playing for the wave is leave everything on the feild there is nothing or anyone that can stop you if you set your mind to it I look foward to seeing you all in a few weeks just keep your minds on one game at a time just as you have done all season and when that 10th game gets here at the end of it there may just be a team that everyone has discounted holding the SWD title for the last time.

Guest Woolybugger

And that's in no way meant to disrespect to Greg Mance. Nobody expected Richlands to do worse than 10-0. Ya'll said it since last December. But Grundy hasn't been really competitive for a while and Carroll wasn't expected to do much this year, yet here they are playing for a shot at the district (i.e. Richlands), however slim that shot may be.

This is in my opinion Tom Hale's (and his staff) finest job as a coach. Carroll County lost its top two runningbacks, its best receiver of the last 15 years and 4/5 of its starting O-line to graduation. It lost the 5th lineman and its leading rusher to knee injuries before the district started (before the season started for the lineman), yet they have had two 500-yard rushing games and have a chance to go 7-3. Nobody averages 70 yards rushing for CC, but five guys are between 30 and 65 a night, not counting Moreno, who was averaging around 70 before going down. Defensively, they haven't allowed a touchdown in three SWD games, giving up two defensive scores to Tazewell, a field goal to Abingdon and 45 total yards to Marion.

Greg Rowe has rebuilt Grundy into a contender at what is for all intents and purposes a single-A school, and they continue to win without Kelly. It's nice to see them winning after some of the crap they've taken on this board the last couple of years.

Good job both teams, both staffs, and good luck Friday.

Edited by Woolybugger

I have a feeling this will be a memorable wild match in the final EVER game between the cavaliers and golden wave, grundy always played cc tough in the down years. Too close to make a prediction I think this game could be game of the year in the district, last team to have the ball wins, I'm really excited for this one. Good luck both teams and pray for no injuries

I will pick Carroll 31-20. Really, I would like to see Grundy win because Carroll should not be in our district anyway. Go Grundy! :cool:

Can't believe it but I will have to agree with you completely. I don't think anybody like them in the southwest district. I would say they would rather be in another as well.

I don't know about Grundy defense but the misdirections that CC runs and their wing T offense, all I can say is I hope Grundy is able to stop the run and keep after the ball. CC has speed. Hardly any passing game, but they don't need it from what I saw.

Pulling for Grundy, but I do have concerns with Grundy's starting QB out. Know doubt, Berglowe is a playmaker-- hoping he has a stout line to open holes for him in this one.

Grundy's D will have to bring their A game to stop the CC run, which they did against the Falcons, in the first half. If they can do that, then the W should go to Grundy.

GO WAVE!!!

Life has many choices---eternity two

I have a feeling this will be a memorable wild match in the final EVER game between the cavaliers and golden wave, grundy always played cc tough in the down years. Too close to make a prediction I think this game could be game of the year in the district, last team to have the ball wins, I'm really excited for this one. Good luck both teams and pray for no injuries

I'd never say "never", but I'm almost this anxious to see how this one goes.

I was hoping the same tired BS stuff about Carroll Co. Refs wouldn't surface, but you just couldn't help yourself could ya? Maybe Grundy has it's own refs as the series is 10-9 CCHS, with the home team winning most all of them? Our refs really helped us this past year at home with a 42-14 win and I am glad we did bring them two years ago when we won 41-7 down there and in 2006. I mention those numbers only to point out that beating the dead horse is just like pissing in the wind. All those numbers don't mean a thing for tonight. I would not want to make a living predicting high school football games and I will not pick against either team in this game. I will favor CCHS because of their overall speed and not relying on a single player to make the majority of plays. Good luck to both squads and may the injury bug not show its ugly face...

I was hoping the same tired BS stuff about Carroll Co. Refs wouldn't surface, but you just couldn't help yourself could ya? Maybe Grundy has it's own refs as the series is 10-9 CCHS, with the home team winning most all of them? Our refs really helped us this past year at home with a 42-14 win and I am glad we did bring them two years ago when we won 41-7 down there and in 2006. I mention those numbers only to point out that beating the dead horse is just like pissing in the wind. All those numbers don't mean a thing for tonight. I would not want to make a living predicting high school football games and I will not pick against either team in this game. I will favor CCHS because of their overall speed and not relying on a single player to make the majority of plays. Good luck to both squads and may the injury bug not show its ugly face...

The only good thing about Carrol County is the flea market, 1. It's too far of a trip to make for the flea market, and 2. it's not the first of the month

That means the wave rolls on tonight

The only good thing about Carrol County is the flea market, 1. It's too far of a trip to make for the flea market, and 2. it's not the first of the month

That means the wave rolls on tonight

That's one more good thing than can be said about Grundy.

Edited by vtallen

are eating crow after this one. As CC downs Grundy 20-0.

I have said earlier that Carroll is the best team I have seen this year outside of Bluefield. One solid D, and a consistent offense..