The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the Cards and Braves both win tomorrow. Let them play each other and fight for the tiebreaker.

you might get your wish...only, they might both lose tomorrow the way its looking here lately lol.

Dear Braves Offense,

As I feel a vicarious connection to you by being a long time fan, I come to you imploring, begging, pleading for a concerted effort to "bring the wood" tomorrow.

Huddy could pitch a no-hitter, or allow only 1 or 2 runs... but if the "bats" don't come alive it will be a loooong off-season for you in trying to delve up positive memories of the good year you had prior to the month of September.

Sincerely,

tb

P.S. Just wanted to remind you again...please, pretty please, get the "bats on the balls'...then you can tell us to "take that" you cynics.

yeah...even if we win and get in...what then? 3 and out?

I'm being optimistic, but I think if we can just get into the playoffs then it will be a HUGE boost for the team morale. Everyone begins from scratch in the postseason so there isn't a whole lot of pressure. I feel that the young guys (Freeman, Heyward, the young pitching staff, etc.) are really feeling the pressure of blowing the WC after such a lead.

It's the "just making it in part" that is giving me the feeling of being kicked square in the nuts... I don't like it.

Dear Braves Offense,

As I feel a vicarious connection to you by being a long time fan, I come to you imploring, begging, pleading for a concerted effort to "bring the wood" tomorrow.

Huddy could pitch a no-hitter, or allow only 1 or 2 runs... but if the "bats" don't come alive it will be a loooong off-season for you in trying to delve up positive memories of the good year you had prior to the month of September.

Sincerely,

tb

P.S. Just wanted to remind you again...please, pretty please, get the "bats on the balls'...then you can tell us to "take that" you cynics.

Co-signed,

hokie07

Told you. The Braves have seen Lee, Oswalt, Rollins, Howard, Ibanez, Utley and the rest of the crew. It sucks having to beat the best team in baseball in order to go to the post season.

Cardinals up 9-6 and have all but wrapped the game up in Houston, so we're tied going into tomorrow night. It all comes down to Tim Hudson tomorrow night. Our ace against a shaky Joe Blanton in front of a home crowd tomorrow night, but I still don't like our chances...

Just awful. Even if we win tonight, we still have a 1-game playoff with St. Louis. I'm assuming the Cardinals win, because Houston is the worst team since the '04 Tigers...

So...we had a lot of fun with this last year...might as well make another one for this year.

What do you guys think about the Braves off season moves as we head in to Spring Training?

I still think they are short on big stick :(

First post of this thread. My oh my what foresight Lance had.

And oh how I wished you were wrong when you posted this... But you weren't. And now?

First post of this thread. My oh my what foresight Lance had.

And oh how I wished you were wrong when you posted this... But you weren't. And now?

total collapse...at one point espn had them as 99.6% probability of making the playoffs...and not so long ago.

Chipper needs to hang it up, they need a new batting coach, and hell bring in Dale Murphy to do something and get him around these young kids - what would it hurt? and they better go out at get a legit hitter for the 3-4 or 5 spot. Maybe next year if they get bring in a bat they might be able to not over use the bullpen and have something left for the last month or so of the year.

pathetic.

They had no heart....Gonzales not playing in the biggest game of the year due to a calf injury??? My 12 year old played a whole season with a torn ACL & lateral meniscus. Braves looked defeated from about the 7th inning on. Dang it's hard being a Braves fan...lol

They had no heart....Gonzales not playing in the biggest game of the year due to a calf injury??? My 12 year old played a whole season with a torn ACL & lateral meniscus. Braves looked defeated from about the 7th inning on. Dang it's hard being a Braves fan...lol

7th inning on? try September 1st on...

total collapse...at one point espn had them as 99.6% probability of making the playoffs...and not so long ago.

Chipper needs to hang it up, they need a new batting coach, and hell bring in Dale Murphy to do something and get him around these young kids - what would it hurt? and they better go out at get a legit hitter for the 3-4 or 5 spot. Maybe next year if they get bring in a bat they might be able to not over use the bullpen and have something left for the last month or so of the year.

pathetic.

This. Although, I do think that Chipper is still productive enough to play when he is healthy. That is the problem though; he can't stay healthy. I don't see this season as his curtain call though. He has too much pride to walk away after blowing the WC lead that they did. If anyone on the Braves roster needs to hang it up it's Derek Lowe. Hopefully we can get creative with his contract and get rid of him somehow.

A big bat would be good, but who can we afford? I think that our lineup is as good as it can get honestly. If Heyward shows up this season, if Uggla hits for a little more average and still maintains his power, and if McCann has a better second half of the season, the Braves are still one of the most dangerous teams in the Majors. Hypothetically, a more experienced Heyward and Freeman will only get better next season. I like them with Uggla and McCann.

I am MUCH more concerned about getting a stable bullpen over the offseason. I know we had a good rotation, but some of our relief pitchers were absolutely horrible (read Scott Linebrink; and not just because of tonight. I've hated him all season long). If we can get Medlen, Moylan, and a few others healthy and keep Beachy, Jurrjens, Hanson and company healthy, then they shouldn't be in a bad place. Venters and Kimbrel should only get better too.

I've said it the past two seasons and I'll say it again: Despite blowing this, we were probably exactly where we should have been: fighting for the Wild Card. Philadelphia is entirely too powerful for anyone in the NL to touch and will be until Old Man Time catches up with them. It's unfortunate that we blew it, but St. Louis couldn't have been any hotter. Perfect storm. Still sucks, but it is what it is.

Edited by hokie07

Chipper just needs to go...he is hanging around and is getting to the point where he is reaching the later Ken Griffey Jr stages of his career and I just don't want to see him drop off like Jr did...and it's going to happen...if he puts in the workout time this off season then maybe 1 more year but, i dont know...i think it's time to move over...a younger guy over on 3rd might have been able to reach the ball that he couldn't...with his knees and being in the NL where he can't just DH and has to play the field...it's getting about that time to hang it up.

Bullpen and Pitching looks good long term, they just wore them out i think trying to compensate for lack of offense.

I have a real question about the management of the team as well...as should anyone who witnessed the wheels come off of a team like this...I can't imagine Cox letting this go on without at least blowing a gasket.

Uggla really cost them early on with his epic slump...you look back over the course of the last 162 games and all you had to do was win one more...pathetic.

Lowe has got to go...and i'd like to see Conrad gone as well...but, I wanted that last year.

For several years in a row I was always glued to the TV watching Braves Baseball. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but at some point I stopped following the Braves and watching baseball during the regular season, and picked it up during the playoffs. I decided to watch last night because of the situation. Bad choice. It was agonizing. 13 innings of frustration. I guess the days of Maddox, Smoltz, Glavine, and company spoiled me.

At least the nightmare is over and we don't have to continue to see:

1) Lowe taking the mound in an Atlanta uniform

2) our young bull-pen of three, get overworked because no one else is capable

3) stupid base-running mistakes

4) horrible fielding

5) watching great pitches go by, while swing at stuff a 12-yr. old knows not to

Atlanta has a lot of talented youth, it's time to close the book on the older guys. We need to revamp the bull-pen and get the three-headed monster some help. They clearly ran out of gas weeks ago. The starting rotation needs to be overhauled starting with getting rid of Lowe and asking Hudson to take a pay-cut. And most glaringly, find a hitting-coach and guys that actually can hit at the major league level.

Just a reminder that what happened to the Braves also included an 18-8 September by St. Louis. That is nearly a 70% clip to close things out.

So yeah the Braves spit the bit, but the Cardinals had a great stretch run too. What happened isn't possible with out both.