Richlands @Union

Duke2015

Congrats to Union on a hard fought win.

This is my take on the game:

1) The targeting call was a bad call the ball carrier was stumbling and struggling and his head also lowered it should have been a no call sometimes when a tackle is made and the ball carrier stumbles it changes the position of his head the defender has already started his angle of tackle. That call in my opinion didn't change the game that much. Even though it probably kept a scoring drive alive that may not have been a scoring drive otherwise. It  was just one call and it happened early in the game no excuses. The only reason I bring it up is because it was already mentioned. They could have called the same call 3 or 4 more times on each team.

2) Union was the best team last night.

3) Union was a well oiled well polished machine. They made no major mistakes ( no unforced mistakes, or bone head penalties).

4) Richlands was the most physical team

5) Richlands made at least 5 major mistakes. Missed FG, 2-INTs that were unforced, a blown coverage that went for a TD, and an attempted strip of the ball with 7 sec left in the half instead of a tackle. That's not counting the other INT that was a good play by the Union player, or the fumble that was mostly unforced (I gave him the benefit of the doubt) in the red zone, and the missed extra point that had pretty good pressure on it.

6) Union played a mistake free (mostly) game and beat a mistake prone Richlands team by one point in OT. Part of being a great team is playing mistake free Union has that part down, that is why I say Union had the better team last night and that is why they will be very hard for anyone to beat. They are also loaded with talent, speed, size and they are hard workers, they are already a great team.

7) Richlands like I said before was more physical, has at least as much talent, speed, size and work ethic, we just don't have the small things worked out yet, I feel about Union this year the same as I did about Gate City last year and that is " if we meet again this year I like our chances". I just can't imagine Union playing any better than they did last night but Richlands has alot of work to do and so much room for improvement. 

8) Union had the best team and played better last night. Richlands I feel has the best team overall and has the most upside, If they played and both teams played mistake free I think Richlands beats them by 10-15 points, But Richlands has it to do, if they played again and Richlands makes a few major mistakes then Union wins again. This is just my feeling after watching this game along with about 300 other Richlands games over the years. I've watched games before and I know if we played a team that we lost to 100 times we would lose 100 times( mostly in the 80's lol ) and watched games we lost that we would beat them 90 times (state game 2010) if we played last night's game 100 times we would win 60-65 of them. 

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. Not necessarily.  They had over 200 yards rushing last night.  I felt that once they got in the T formation, we couldn't stop them.  Based on that fact, last night Union won the physicality battle.

5. Agree.  Penalties and turnovers killed us.  Heard some rumbling last night from Richlands fans we didn't play a perfect game....would've won...etc...know where that is going.  The fact is good teams force mistakes.  Union is a good team.

6. Agree.

7. Adressed the physicality.  Mostly agree.  However, Union did have one of their threats out.  I imagine that they could actually be more dangerous....that is scary.

8. Agree that both teams are dangerous.  No offense but, your statement about being 10-15 points better than Union would really piss me off if I was a Union fan.  In my opinion, there is no mistake free football.  Teams that can captilize on mistakes of others are successful. 

Now to add expand a little.  I was very impressed with the Union's ability to get in the spread and brandish that type of fire power....wow.  Then to get in the old T formation and basically force feed the football down our defense's throat.....wow.  Great team, great coaching.  Watching the game, however, I feel that the fumble on the speed option in the late first, early second with Richlands up 7 and driving for another was a critical error.  That wasn't a forced turnover.  Poor execution, poor play call.  We are not a option based team.  If we drive and score there...could have been a different game.  I hope that a potential rematch would take place in the finals on a neutral field.  I don't think that Union relishes a re-match.  It is really hard to defeat a good team twice.  Having said that, losing early may be a disguised blessing for the Blues.  Overall it was a hell of a game.  Rare to see two team that good go head to head so early in the season.  I do hope both teams run the table until a potential rematch.

My post was not meant to "piss off " any Union fans, I sang their praises quite a bit. Last year we played Bluefield and were big underdogs, we beat them by 2-TDs, at the end of the day I thought they were the better team. I felt like if we played 100 times they would have beat us 70 times. On that night we were the better team I feel like we got lucky, first of all we played them at home which most people think that equals 1 score, secondly we played an almost mistake free game and had a few bounces go our way. 

I also think I said Union was a great team and that they would be very hard to beat, and they were a well oiled and polished machine and so on. I have nothing but respect for Unions program no one except maybe Hampton in the state of Virginia has more of a winning tradition than Union/PV/Appy. Union did not make mistakes and we did and 75% of those were unforced either misreads or just bonehead mistakes that Union literally had nothing to do with. I think I gave credit were credit was do. I said 1-INT was a great play by Union's DB the other 2 had zero pressure they were just QB/WR disconnects and the DB had them right in the numbers. The missed FG was just a miss not much pressure either. Those are just the facts and not meant to belittle Union in any way, nor is it meant to blame Richlands players either, crap happens you have alot of moving parts in all plays and if one small piece isn't working it all falls apart. 

I have also in my earlier posts said I may not know what I'm talking about and my wife will swear to that in court LOL. I thought that might be so. I spoke with about 6 or 7 other folks today about the game 3 of which are recent RHS players ( and believe me they are the worst critics no team was as good as they were ) and they all agreed with me and as a matter of fact my "if they played 100 times" question, my 60-65 times was the most conservative. 

My post was not meant to take anything away from Union as a matter of fact I took up for Union on the BSG thread. 

My post was not meant to "piss off " any Union fans, I sang their praises quite a bit. Last year we played Bluefield and were big underdogs, we beat them by 2-TDs, at the end of the day I thought they were the better team. I felt like if we played 100 times they would have beat us 70 times. On that night we were the better team I feel like we got lucky, first of all we played them at home which most people think that equals 1 score, secondly we played an almost mistake free game and had a few bounces go our way.

I also think I said Union was a great team and that they would be very hard to beat, and they were a well oiled and polished machine and so on. I have nothing but respect for Unions program no one except maybe Hampton in the state of Virginia has more of a winning tradition than Union/PV/Appy. Union did not make mistakes and we did and 75% of those were unforced either misreads or just bonehead mistakes that Union literally had nothing to do with. I think I gave credit were credit was do. I said 1-INT was a great play by Union's DB the other 2 had zero pressure they were just QB/WR disconnects and the DB had them right in the numbers. The missed FG was just a miss not much pressure either. Those are just the facts and not meant to belittle Union in any way, nor is it meant to blame Richlands players either, crap happens you have alot of moving parts in all plays and if one small piece isn't working it all falls apart.

I have also in my earlier posts said I may not know what I'm talking about and my wife will swear to that in court LOL. I thought that might be so. I spoke with about 6 or 7 other folks today about the game 3 of which are recent RHS players ( and believe me they are the worst critics no team was as good as they were ) and they all agreed with me and as a matter of fact my "if they played 100 times" question, my 60-65 times was the most conservative.

My post was not meant to take anything away from Union as a matter of fact I took up for Union on the BSG thread.

I had no problem with your post. I understand it, j may disagree on your 60-65 out of 100 part, but that's part of the fun. Lol

Man this thread is  hard to let go of,  Congrats to the U.   Many things I could wish here, but it is what it is.  I feel the competition  in SWVA is getting better and better. I expect anybody from down here that makes deep run will be battle tested more so than in previous years.  I know our coaches will use this to get even better.  I hope we see you guys again.  The last few games have been like a coin toss, got to go our way sooner or later.  Get ready more BATTLE'S AHEAD the season is just getting started.

Congrats to Union! You guys have a heck of a football team, great coaches and fan base! I had my doubts about this years RHS team due to the graduation of Michaels, Vance and Bandy. Asbury answered any questions I had about his ability to lead the team and proved his toughness! The kid took a beating and kept getting back up. The secondary coverage was played about as well as you can play especially considering the quality of receivers Union has all over the field. I do think we miss the physicality in the secondary that Vance brought and his ability to make plays no matter where he was used (punt/KO returns, offense). But I never would have thought the biggest lose would have been Bandy. In a hard fought game by both teams, some early seasons mistakes/penalties, a couple turnovers, and missed assignments (10 men on the field on the last TD by Union) it all came down to kicking. It is a game of inches and we missed a FG by about 6 inches that I feel would have won the game. Union won and deserved it! Richlands will correct, learn from it and be a better team from it. Both these teams getting better is scary for anyone they face come November. I like our chances to be there in the end and nothing would be better than to face Union again for a championship. Can you just imagine the atmosphere in Salem?

The Richlands at Union game was another Bullitt Park classic and I am glad that I was present.  It looked to me like the Bears had a slight advantage in depth and that was a factor in the final outcome.  Union was able to distribute the ball fairly successfully to a surprising number of players; where as Blankenship, who had a great game, had to carry a heavy load for Richlands.  If I counted correctly, Union had positive gains from Mitchell, Barnett, Gavin, Bishop, Summers, Fannon, Spears, Zirkle, and Stidham.  I think that distribution helped Union hang in through a physical contest plus overtime. Also Union was without Noaks (who scored three touchdowns against Burton).  Again I think Union is a very deep team and I hope that helps them survive a long season and go deep into the post season.

I have one more comment about this game, I know you guys are tired of hearing from me. Am I just to old school or was there alot of celebrating mostly from Richlands. After almost every play there was a dance off going on, I know the players on the field did alot more dancing and fist pumping and chest bumping and so on than the cheerleaders did LOL. When I played the coach said if you score act like you've been their before. Back in my day the coach would have took you out and then Dad would have came down on the sideline and jerked a knot in my rearend. Union saved their celebrating until after the game as it should be. When you make a great play and then hurt yourself or get a cramp from all that bull crap It makes you look pretty silly. So am I just behind times or what? I know I prefer to actually talk to a real person on the phone instead of text and I don't post my bathroom habits on facebook but jeez I'm just 40 not 90, has it really changed that much?

I have one more comment about this game, I know you guys are tired of hearing from me. Am I just to old school or was there alot of celebrating mostly from Richlands. After almost every play there was a dance off going on, I know the players on the field did alot more dancing and fist pumping and chest bumping and so on than the cheerleaders did LOL. When I played the coach said if you score act like you've been their before. Back in my day the coach would have took you out and then Dad would have came down on the sideline and jerked a knot in my rearend. Union saved their celebrating until after the game as it should be. When you make a great play and then hurt yourself or get a cramp from all that bull crap It makes you look pretty silly. So am I just behind times or what? I know I prefer to actually talk to a real person on the phone instead of text and I don't post my bathroom habits on facebook but jeez I'm just 40 not 90, has it really changed that much?

My wife and I got a chuckle out of that. If I didn't know better I would have thought I wrote that myself. I think a lot of kids do too much celebrating these days, Union included. 

I couldn't help but laugh at how the Union student section left the bleachers and ran down to the flag pole end of the field for the OT session, and then ran to the scoreboard end because they thought the field flipped on Union's turn. Then ran back to the flag side again when they realized it didn't.

They didn't have a clue how OT works, but they were just happy to be there and make some noise.

What it would be to be young again!

I was present at the game also, it was one of the best high school games I've seen. That said The Bears played very well. I think our defense played well #56 played a great game along with #27 #52. We made a few errors on D, especially the outside corners being drawn in.The offense wasn't in sync, we have a lot of things to work on. #5 seemed to be open a lot in the first half, but absent in the 2nd. #3 wasn't used very much either, play makers in my opinion. Hope to see these two play again. Two very evenly matched teams.

The Richlands at Union game was another Bullitt Park classic and I am glad that I was present.  It looked to me like the Bears had a slight advantage in depth and that was a factor in the final outcome.

Bigger factors were missing a field goal, missing an extra point, and failing to score from 2nd and goal at the one.

Richlands' turnovers & missed opportunities did ultimately decide the outcome of the game; but in support of my analyses, most of those critical errors occurred later in the game & could have been precipitated by players being worn down. Players on both sides were getting winded. I think Union's depth was, & will continue to be, an important attribute.

I believe this is the deepest Richlands team of the last 5 years. Unfortunately, the second option at running back, Waldron, was injured coming into the game, and the third option was injured early in the game while playing special teams. That is what I was told ....someone else could confirm....

I believe this is the deepest Richlands team of the last 5 years. Unfortunately, the second option at running back, Waldron, was injured coming into the game, and the third option was injured early in the game while playing special teams. That is what I was told ....someone else could confirm....

Waldron is out with his knee. He will return later this season. White did something to his wrist on the opening kickoff when he tackled the Union player out of bounds. 

I wouldn't worry about James White, he a pretty tough kid.  He played entire season at tailback in 2011 with a cast due to a broken arm.  He is a throwback.

That kid is the real deal ( White ) ! I love to watch him play, he runs hard and he has skills that you can't teach. Great vision !