Abingdon @ Christiansburg

rvtne216

Christiansburg is coming off a heartbreaking 30-29 loss to Giles Saturday in which the Blue Demons once led 22-0 in the first quarter. Abingdon is 2-0 and seem to be heading in the right direction. However, this could be one of the best games going on Friday night. What is everyone's thoughts on this one?

I know absolutely nothing about Abingdon but I will say that CBurg is a very good team. Very big and physical and have a good bit of speed also....Their coaching is very questionable in my opinion and this goes back over the last 5-7 years....The year they played for the State Title they were absolutely loaded with Motley and Snell and others and even the coaching couldn't stop them from making it that far.

I am trying to decide whether to go to this game or the Graham/Richlands game.....but I do agree the Abingdon/CBurg game has all the makings of a really good one

I know absolutely nothing about Abingdon but I will say that CBurg is a very good team. Very big and physical and have a good bit of speed also....Their coaching is very questionable in my opinion and this goes back over the last 5-7 years....The year they played for the State Title they were absolutely loaded with Motley and Snell and others and even the coaching couldn't stop them from making it that far.

I am trying to decide whether to go to this game or the Graham/Richlands game.....but I do agree the Abingdon/CBurg game has all the makings of a really good one

Peer pressure. Peer pressure. Peer pressure. 

I really don't know who to pick in this one, but this would be a HUGE victory for Abingdon. Even though all of us deep(er) SWVA teams know how big the victory over Richlands last year and the win over Gate City was this year, the perception is what the perception is. Hanging with, or even beating, top 2A talent isn't the same as beating a 3A team in the eyes of your peers. It would really help the Falcons' image in the 3A West if they could pick up a victory here.

I agree.  I have ZERO idea how good Christiansburg is, how big they are, how fast they are....but I do know that AHS must beat a 3A team to get some cred.  They did beat up on Volunteer (Tenn) the last couple of years which is at least a 3A team, but that's not saying a lot.  I just have no idea how AHS compares to C'Burg.  If AHS loses does that mean AHS is bad...no, because we don't know how C'Burg compares to the rest of the 3A teams...they might seriously be state title contenders, we don't know.  I'm anxious to see how it goes.  I know Reed will have them ready...that's a pretty good drive up there and after the 5 hour drive to Broadway last year I know he will have them prepared from the start for this game...not just 2nd half.

Glad to see the Falcons step up the competition. Win this game and 3A respect will be yours, reach out and seize glory!

Btw we all give Abingdon a hard time for not being any good and being so big, well have another good year this year and the SWVA support will be incredible as Abingdon is THE 3A school for far SWVA(that didnt cross the "official" Gman SWVA geographic barrier did it?)

Glad to see the Falcons step up the competition. Win this game and 3A respect will be yours, reach out and seize glory!

Btw we all give Abingdon a hard time for not being any good and being so big, well have another good year this year and the SWVA support will be incredible as Abingdon is THE 3A school for far SWVA(that didnt cross the "official" Gman SWVA geographic barrier did it?)

I agree Tiger. I will be pulling for Abingdon to win this one.

"We Are" SWVA!

Christiansburg did not impress me in the scrimmage at Bluefield. Beavers scored on the first two touches and then took Reed and Collier out for a while. They did move the ball in 5 To 10 Yard chunks on a drive or two overall they were a bit undewhelming compared to recent C burg teams. Serious lack of team speed especially on defense.

I really look forward to this game and seeing how we compete within Conference 32. Not to mention, I have been against Christiansburg/Blacksburg (Montgomery Co. Schools) after they did me wrong related to a job. In my opinion the next two weeks will make or break our season (home v. Blacksburg). I'm glad to see the pride coming back to Abingdon football, which only helps my programs too! Go Falcons!

I would expect a good game.

If Abingdon can keep the QB upright they should win.

Christiansburg is an average to a little above average 3A team. (The type of team that should win a playoff game but likely not 2)

Christiansburg has the advantage of being historically more battle tested playing the likes of Pulaski, Salem and Patrick Henry every year but I like the fact that this is a benchmark game for Abingdon.

I'll take the Falcons 28-21   

So the birds finally have a great team.is this the team they been talking about for 20 years now..Cburg eats falcon meat Friday night

Only Marion would post comments like this. This is not a team we have been talking about, but we are happy to finally have some community support for football. We have a competitive team and we are excited to see how we stack up at the 3A level. I would be very surprised if we get blown out, but to each their own. Go Falcons!

Actually, we've had the kids for a few years now...now we have the coaching to go with them.  Nobody on here, not even you Marion guys (lol) can say that I haven't been preaching about the lack of coaching at AHS for years now. That's not to say that I think AHS will win state or anything...but the fact AHS is relevant helps EVERYBODY down here....yes, even you guys that lost to Chilhowie this year. 

And if memory serves right a 3a school got beat by a 1a school..wonder who that was..I'm still wondering if this is the team the birds have said they had the past 20 years..I'm sure the dance team is working up a sweat..

Pulling for the Falcons in this one--think they have enough weapons on offense to bring home the W. 

The defense for the Falcons will be the key in this one. 

I listened to the second half of the Giles/Christiansburg game last week--when I saw Christiansburg was up on the Spartans 22-0 after 1 qtr, I thought whoa.  Giles did not give up on the game, the Falcons have to do the same.  Even if they get behind, dig down deep and know 1 qtr doesn't make a game. 

I heard a minister say this today and I am paraphrasing what he said. A football coach stated, "there are lots of football players who have talent, but not all of those players have the commitment and preparation for the game."  I think the Falcons have the basic talent and believe they are committed to the present, building on it and as the scripture says "forgetting those things that are behind." 

GO FALCONS!!!