Title games

redtiger

I think Galax has a difficult challenge ahead.  I thought Essex experience and speed would be enough to get by Galax in a close game.  Maybe I am wrong about this one as well, we will see.  From what I have seen on Hudl, Riverheads doesn't do anything fancy but does everything well.  They run their version of the wing-T about as effectively as Giles runs the single wing.  They are impressive. 

I watched the video of the 2010 Riverheads v East Mont state title game and fell in love with what Riverheads does Offensively. It takes players that fully buy into the system and great coaching to make it work. Its not for everyone but I love it. Im also a big fan of what Galax does on Offense, again its takes players that fully buy in and great coaching to make it work and everyone cant do it.

Definitely pulling for Galax but im excited just to see the game.

Will come down to a play in the kicking game....either a great effort by someone or a mistake.....I am going will 21-20 Riverheads due do some Galax kicking issues through out year.  Should be a great game with big crowds on both sides.

I watched the video of the 2010 Riverheads v East Mont state title game and fell in love with what Riverheads does Offensively. It takes players that fully buy into the system and great coaching to make it work. Its not for everyone but I love it. Im also a big fan of what Galax does on Offense, again its takes players that fully buy in and great coaching to make it work and everyone cant do it.

Definitely pulling for Galax but im excited just to see the game.

Run run run run run run run run run run run

Booooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

That GW-Riverheads game was over in an hour and 40 minutes.

Hate teams that run the ball every damn play.  It's so boring.  Lol.

May be like that in the 2A game too, but I'm excited because I haven't seen either of those teams yet.

I watched the Riverheads-GW game and became a fan of Riverheads. I don't like the run every play thing but what they do is fun to watch. Everybody in the stadium knows what's coming but the other team can't stop it. Their backs are phenomenal runners. Nothing special about them either. No size not the fastest but man alive if the don't run with some heart and grit. I wish Honaker had a film of their running backs to show future running backs how you are supposed to tote the rock. Great sportsmanship also. Nothing like most schools North and East of Roanoke. Very well coached football team. Galax will have to stop them in 4 plays in order to get the ball back. They punted 1 time Saturday and that was only the 6th time all year. They were 5 of 7 on 4th down against GW. Noticed the interior of their defense is really lacking size. Hopefully Galax can take advantage of that. I'm pulling for Galax Saturday but I have found a team worth rooting for on the east side of the bracket.

Run run run run run run run run run run run

Booooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

That GW-Riverheads game was over in an hour and 40 minutes.

Hate teams that run the ball every damn play.  It's so boring.  Lol.

May be like that in the 2A game too, but I'm excited because I haven't seen either of those teams yet.

WRONG!!!  When teams run lead 50 times a game from I-Form thats boring.

Power, WB Counter, Super Sweep, FB Trap, Crossbuck now thats football! 

I prefer to watch balanced Offenses, maybe 60-40 run to pass with multiple formations(what can I say, im a Haysi guy) but if I had to choose between Run heavy and Pass heavy I will take Run heavy every time

I'm a large fan of teams who spread it out 4 and 5 wide and move the ball. Even if it's running out of spread. I just like action and with 90% runs, there's not much to that unless an assignment gets busted.

I'm a large fan of teams who spread it out 4 and 5 wide and move the ball. Even if it's running out of spread. I just like action and with 90% runs, there's not much to that unless an assignment gets busted.

Well I'm sorry but I love to watch teams run 90% of the time....heck some teams run it 98% of the time and I love that even more  LOL

I love hardnosed football. The intricacies of the blocking schemes, quick cuts by backs, tough runs by backs and best of all HARD blocks by OL(Traps or just straight up man blocks). To me thats the heart of football. Mix in some quick passes to athletes in space and some deep shots and thats about as good as it gets for me.

Nothing in football is more exciting than watching a bruising Back run over a LB and carry another for extra yards. Well, maybe watching a pulling Guard level a DE. Maybe its the Linemen in me lol

Giles has got to be my #1 High School team to watch(besides Ridgeview of course). I love watching Navy and GT, big fan of what those teams do. I havent watched them in a year or two but Air Force is really fun for me too, Option mixed in with Power runs, all from a variety of formations.  Im too young to have really enjoyed them but the Offense of the glory years in Nebraska really appeal to me

I love hardnosed football. The intricacies of the blocking schemes, quick cuts by backs, tough runs by backs and best of all HARD blocks by OL(Traps or just straight up man blocks). To me thats the heart of football. Mix in some quick passes to athletes in space and some deep shots and thats about as good as it gets for me.

Nothing in football is more exciting than watching a bruising Back run over a LB and carry another for extra yards. Well, maybe watching a pulling Guard level a DE. Maybe its the Linemen in me lol

Giles has got to be my #1 High School team to watch(besides Ridgeview of course). I love watching Navy and GT, big fan of what those teams do. I havent watched them in a year or two but Air Force is really fun for me too, Option mixed in with Power runs, all from a variety of formations.  Im too young to have really enjoyed them but the Offense of the glory years in Nebraska really appeal to me

I agree with you but 90% of the world is now a spread offense type teams(not saying anything is wrong with it I just don't prefer it) and most people have teams that run the spread so that's why most like it now....to each their own I say

How many of the teams this year in the state finals are total spread teams?  I know Riverheads, Galax, Clarke County, Lord B., Magna Vista are those that don't.

There are things about redzone offense and clock management that I hate about the spread.  I will have to say that the Michigan State - Iowa game was an old fashion beating from both teams.

Take that a step further, falconfan1.  How many spread teams have played for and/or won a national championship in college.  Auburn and Oregon come to mind.  I wouldn't consider what Auburn did in 2010 to be a true "spread".  They had a lot of power run, traps and counters out of a "spread" type formation but it was still power football and Oregon had no answer for it defensively.

Schools like Essex should run spread given the number of athletes they have as long as its balanced.  Galax took away there passing game and made them have to drive the length of the field.  They got impatient and began to take chances and Galax capitalized on those chances.  Galax scrimmaged Magna Vista for several years when Mark Dixon first began coaching.  MV was attempting to switch to a spread offense but have since gone back to a pistol "pro style" attack with a single back and 3 or 4 WR's with the QB operating out of the shotgun.  I don't think it's a coincidence, they began winning at a state level again once they did.

Take that a step further, falconfan1.  How many spread teams have played for and/or won a national championship in college.  Auburn and Oregon come to mind.  I wouldn't consider what Auburn did in 2010 to be a true "spread".  They had a lot of power run, traps and counters out of a "spread" type formation but it was still power football and Oregon had no answer for it defensively.

Schools like Essex should run spread given the number of athletes they have as long as its balanced.  Galax took away there passing game and made them have to drive the length of the field.  They got impatient and began to take chances and Galax capitalized on those chances.  Galax scrimmaged Magna Vista for several years when Mark Dixon first began coaching.  MV was attempting to switch to a spread offense but have since gone back to a pistol "pro style" attack with a single back and 3 or 4 WR's with the QB operating out of the shotgun.  I don't think it's a coincidence, they began winning at a state level again once they di

I agree.

I started watching a little of Oscar Smith and they have a versatile attack. They line up in some traditional pro style looks.   I believe you have to have answers when people take one dimension of your game away.  At this time of year, weather can also take it away from you as well.  I like the idea getting a team out of an 8-9 man box when the time presents itself.  I just think it is difficult to do all of the time, being in the spread,  especially at the high school level.  

I agree.

I started watching a little of Oscar Smith and they have a versatile attack. They line up in some traditional pro style looks.   I believe you have to have answers when people take one dimension of your game away.  At this time of year, weather can also take it away from you as well.  I like the idea getting a team out of an 8-9 man box when the time presents itself.  I just think it is difficult to do all of the time, being in the spread,  especially at the high school level.  

Speaking of Oscar Smith has anyone seen their entrance? "Tiger cage"? If not go to youtube and type in "Oscar Smith football entrance" and watch it....one of the funniest things i've ever seen

Schools like Essex should run spread given the number of athletes they have as long as its balanced.  Galax took away there passing game and made them have to drive the length of the field.  They got impatient and began to take chances and Galax capitalized on those chances.  Galax scrimmaged Magna Vista for several years when Mark Dixon first began coaching.  MV was attempting to switch to a spread offense but have since gone back to a pistol "pro style" attack with a single back and 3 or 4 WR's with the QB operating out of the shotgun.  I don't think it's a coincidence, they began winning at a state level again once they did.

What Auburn was doing was almost more Single Wing than Spread. They were power runs with some screens and occasional deep shots. I really enjoyed watching them.

Essex was 4-5 Wide Spread up until last season, including one season where their QB set the VHSL season record for TD passes with 54. Its my understanding that before last season they decided that they couldnt beat Altavista running the Spread, that the only way to do it was control the pace of the game and the clock so they switched to a Spinner version of the Single Wing. Of their games v Altavista last years was the closest, they still lost but I guess it sorta worked. I assume they went back to Spread this season?

It was more of a pistol spread attack where the passes were almost always with the QB on the move.  Still 4-5 wide spread formation.  Nevada would be a close comparison but not exact.  They used two different players at QB, both starters but one took snaps out of a few formations and the other took snaps out of a few others.  The running game was almost always with the wideouts trying to seal the edges for the backs to get outside.  Virtually nothing up the middle.  The line was huge but didn't seem to be in sync.  I don't know for certain what they were trying to do but it looked to me like some OL were blocking one scheme while the rest were doing something totally different.  Galax had DL untouched and free all day to pursue up-field and it led to numerous negative or zero yardage plays.  Some thought they were trying to get Galax to over-pursue, leaving their backs to get chunk yardage.  I think they were trying to get the big OL on Caleb Spurlin, which didn't work at all.  He finished with 17 tackles.

They began the second half in a single wing type formation and the QB got free for an 88 yard TD run.  Galax adjusted and that was that.  Galax completely shut down the passing game which I think caught them off guard.  I think Essex finished 4-15 for 10 yards and 3 interceptions.

I would love to see the film of that game.

That sounds like what they were doing before last season. The whole "our offense is based 100% on letting our athletes play in space" with very little scheme or true design