Richlands @ Gate City

RiverRat24

The regional quarterfinals this year take on an added factor of importance.  You win your quarterfinal, you're automatically locked in to a state quarterfinal.  So, you win tonight/tomorrow night, you're guaranteed at least three more games.  I expect all of these quarterfinal games to be played with lots of intensity and everyone better bring their 'A' game.

Union beat Richlands twice. Gate City beat Union twice. The game is at Gate City. McClung, Ervin, Barnes are better than any player on Richland's roster. Gate City will beat Richlands by 10 to 15 points.

Transitive property is not a good measuring stick in sport.

The first Union game was a 1 point game. The second one was a case of Richlands playing 9 games in 11 days and being wore out.

I love being the underdog.

Union beat Richlands twice. Gate City beat Union twice. The game is at Gate City. McClung, Ervin, Barnes are better than any player on Richland's roster. Gate City will beat Richlands by 10 to 15 points.

I can assure you no one from GC has the attitude that Richlands doesn't have a player as good as Barnes, Ervin, or McClung! There's a reason Richlands is in the post season. It'll be evident by the size of the crowd tomorrow night that everyone expects this to be a good game. Should be a standing room only in the gym when game time rolls around.

GC has beaten Union 3 times, but that won't have anything to do with tomorrow night. When folks get into comparing scores, you run into trouble. It has nothing to do with how Richlands and GC will match up. I look for a very close game. Personally, I wish this game and Union/Graham was at the same place so we could watch both.

The keys to a win for the Blues, Scottie and Landon need to be an inside force on the offensive boards.  Landon has to stay out of foul trouble.  Let the 3 pointer be a compliment to the game, not the game.  It's not a high percentage shot for the Blues, streaky at best. 

The Blues are consistently better on the defensive boards and I think they will have the edge in that stat.  If they can get some steals or turnovers, Fuller is the go to guy to get that quick two.

The Blues will have to play their best Tuesday.  I was really concerned after the Va High game, but it was such a ref controlled game,  with all the fouls called on both sides, they couldn't get a rhythm. 

They have been a third quarter team lately, don't have that luxury tomorrow night. 

GO BLUES, GET THAT 1ST REGIONAL WIN

(As a side note, I remember when the Blues played Radford at Deadmon Center, believe it was '85, the Michael brothers were on the team.  As we came into town the Bobcats had signs up saying "get the coal dust out of your eyes.")   lol

GO BLUES, GET THAT 1ST REGIONAL WIN

(As a side note, I remember when the Blues played Radford at Deadmon Center, believe it was '85, the Michael brothers were on the team.  As we came into town the Bobcats had signs up saying "get the coal dust out of your eyes.")   lol

That game against Radford was in 1983. The Blues were led by Randall Dills, Fred Phillips et al. Radford was undefeated coming into the game and already counting on a state AA title. It was pretty enjoyable in a vicarious sense when Martinsville humbled them in the state semifinal.

The Michaels brothers (among others) took a really good George Wythe team down to the wire in '85. If Bobby Absher's shot hadn't rimmed out in the final seconds that RHS team could have run pretty deep into the postseason.

I have not seen Richlands play, but they sound a lot like GC..........except we do not have a true post player. Our "center" can shoot the 3-pointer soon after he crosses half court. 

Sounds like both teams like to push the ball up the floor. Should be an exciting game. This time of year it comes down to who can stay out of foul trouble, and who is making their shots. 

GC played a great game against Union. Hope we can put two of those types of games in a row. 

EDIT: Just want to let the Richlands' fans know that the refs down here have been terrible all year. Please don't hold that against us. I can assure you that our fans have been very vocal towards the officials all year. 

I have not seen Richlands play, but they sound a lot like GC..........except we do not have a true post player. Our "center" can shoot the 3-pointer soon after he crosses half court.

Sounds like both teams like to push the ball up the floor. Should be an exciting game. This time of year it comes down to who can stay out of foul trouble, and who is making their shots.

GC played a great game against Union. Hope we can put two of those types of games in a row.

EDIT: Just want to let the Richlands' fans know that the refs down here have been terrible all year. Please don't hold that against us. I can assure you that our fans have been very vocal towards the officials all year.

Lowe swished a 3 from the top of the key against Union I believe. He looked just as shocked as we did in the stands lol.

I agree.....the officials have been the worst ive maybe ever seen. Neither team will be able to play defense....they call every little thing they see and alot of stuff they evidently imagine happening. I've not seen a game yet where both teams could just play and get into a rythm. Kinda makes for some crappy ballgames at times. I don't think there was 2 possessions put together that there wasn't a foul called in the last game against Union.

All I can say is......I hope theres a different crew for tomorrow night. Maybe they will let these two play a little bit

I would say the reason for those types of foul calls this year is because of they want to see more freedom of movement in the game.  I dont officiate basketball but I know its an emphasis in the college game this year and its pretty common for things to trickle down to HS.  I would guess this has moved faster than most.   Its going to take a lot of getting use to the style of defense more common in the 80s when scoring was much higher. From the late 90s til now HS basketball has been pretty physical by the best teams and generally even more physical as you venture up state. 

That's the thing though..... If you make it up state they let just about everything go. You can get absolutely mauled and they won't call it. I wouldn't mind to see more movement....but some of the calls I'm referring to were absurd. The kind of calls im referring to pretty much takes away a defense completely past the foul line. You have to get out of the way or a foul is coming. Its not hand checks fouls on the perimeter or anything like that.

But I appreciate the clarification on the change. I really wasn't aware that the change had already happened in college. I guess it makes sense now as to why they were so eager to blow their whistle.

I agree.....the officials have been the worst ive maybe ever seen. Neither team will be able to play defense....they call every little thing they see and alot of stuff they evidently imagine happening. I've not seen a game yet where both teams could just play and get into a rythm. Kinda makes for some crappy ballgames at times. I don't think there was 2 possessions put together that there wasn't a foul called in the last game against Union.

All I can say is......I hope theres a different crew for tomorrow night. Maybe they will let these two play a little bit

Hope you all get the Ridgeview/Lebanon refs then!  Lol.  They pretty much let both teams away with aggravated assault.  Lebanon player horse collared our big man Will Ratliff to the floor and there was no call!  But, like I said, they let both teams away with some pretty rough stuff.

Excuses already?

It was a GC poster who brought up the refs first and BOTH teams have not liked the way the games have been called this year,  so I don't think he's making "excuses already ".

I don't like the way they have called most of the college games this year either,  and i love college basketball and watch a lot of it.  I understand what they are trying to do,  but man it really interferes with the flow of the games and it just seems like everything is being called. Teams cannot get into any kind of rhythm,  I hope that they will let them play a little more when the conference tourney's and the NCAA tourney starts !

Go Blues !  

All the refs on this end of the state are awful, they anticipate calls, call ticky tack fouls, and miss the obvious. It hurts teams once they make it deeper in the post season. It's not just Richlands whose been getting "bad refs" it's all of swva. I've seen so many games called horribly both ways this season.

I don't hate Richlands, I respect them. But, I do hate Union and Va High.