any truth that Honaker considering not playing the benefit game

HB Burke

I feel like teams have beaten us more through the air in recent years than on the ground. Appomattox only has 1 rushing TD and they were a loaded rushing team. Wilson memorial only scored once in regulation and it was a passing TD if I recall correctly (maybe it was a pass that set up a short run). Maybe switching defenses this year is what they needed on that side. We will find out in 3 weeks.

If a team attempts to drop 6 or 7 into coverage to try and stop our pass, I have faith that our OL can make a hole for any of our RB to get some yards. That's all you need. You don't need 200+ yards a game. You need someone who can spring a long one when the defense dares you to. White is a very strong runner. He keeps his legs churning and gets second effort yards. You can't ask for anything more.

What happens when a team lines up and has the ability to cover our receivers or the ability to get to the quarterback?  At that point, it too late to say "we have to run the football."  When you want a T-Bone steak, you don't go to McDonald's, why?  Because McDonald's is not in the T-Bone steak business.  Mance's offense is not in the "run the ball"  business.  You said it in your post, which is my point exactly.  We just need one to "spring a long one."  You can't base a game plan on broken plays.  What happens when you are up by 6 with four minutes left, you have to control the clock, milk it and get out with the win.  We do not have that mentality.  And I will admit, the spread and lights out defense, has maintained our program, as far as regular season wins, district titles....etc.  Past that....not so much.  To prove my point, how many times in practice, games....etc, do our O-lineman start the play with a step backwards?  They are not conditioned to attack. which you have to do to run the ball.  That is mentality.  You are asking players to do something that they are not trained or conditioned to do. I completely respect your perspective, but this is how I feel.

I feel like teams have beaten us more through the air in recent years than on the ground. Appomattox only has 1 rushing TD and they were a loaded rushing team. Wilson memorial only scored once in regulation and it was a passing TD if I recall correctly (maybe it was a pass that set up a short run). Maybe switching defenses this year is what they needed on that side. We will find out in 3 weeks.

You are missing my point, but you have scored points for me.  Both teams ran the football, both teams defeated us.  How they scored is completely irrelevant.  Look at the teams that defeated us in the playoffs for the last few years.  You named the last two, Giles, Cave Spring, Poquoson, Monticello and Turner Ashby.  All strong running teams.  Only Brookville was a Spread team.  Rockbridge was a spread team in 2006, which was a team we defeated, but I honestly felt that we were 4 touchdowns better.  In summary, when we play good teams that can run the football, we struggle.  And I don't think the defense is to blame.  Teams that can control the clock have a major advantage.  And to be clear, I am the biggest supporter of our kids, this is simply a strategy discussion.  And on the defense, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Great defense has long been a staple of Richlands football. These are simply my opinions, doesn't mean that I am right, just my two cents.

I'm kinda concerned with 2 issues with the blues this year that i noticed yesterday.  They've been talked about already but just want to throw my 2 cents in.

1st is exactly what most are talking about,  and that is the running game.  Our spread will be effective MOST of the time and has the ability to score from just about anywhere on the field at any time,  but,  there will come a time when we need to run clock  or pick up a 3rd and short or pick up a yard or 2 when down inside the 5,  and we will need a little bit of a running game because we will come up against teams that have the speed, size and the ability to cover our receivers and/or put pressure on JLA.  Our running back by committee does worry me a little,  mostly once we get into the playoffs because there you will see better coaching and athletes and you have to be able to keep people honest,  but,  I do like a lot of what I have seen with the offense and i am also sure that Mance didn't show a 1/10th of what the O will look like once the season begins.  ( which most don't )

My other concern is the defense and most specifically the linebackers.  I was concerned about the running D that I saw against GW and especially against PC,  but that was the first time most of those guys have been thrown to the fire and they did get better as the night went along and I think they have a lot of talent and should be a good bunch 3 or 4 games in.  

A lot of what I saw is fixable like, shooting the wrong gap, not staying home, running by the ball carrier as they put pressure on,  it is what happens to young guys that need reps, which they will get, and they will get coached up with this coaching staff.

The D line did look very good for the most part and kept pressure on the QB's most of the night.  The D-ends need to keep contain a little better,  but it is still VERY early.

This team has a lot of potential,  but how good they get depends on how fast the young guys on D come along and whether they are able to run the ball effectively.  That doesn't mean 200 yards a game like we had with Devon,  but just break one once in a while and pick up a 3rd and short to keep a drive going and make a team pay when they drop 7 into coverage.   I have a lot of confidence that this coaching staff will coach these kids up !

Just my humble opinion.

GO BIG BLUE !!

According to quote from Mance in today's BDT, this will be the last occurrence of the benefit game.  It's probably served its purpose and been beneficial for both programs.  

Apparently more beneficial for one than than the other.  

All of u have a good opinions but I watched the game yesterday n Richlands needs some major adjustments on Defense n Offense but the running game for u guys have always been strong to get that 3rd n 1 but white just don't fit the size back that Richlands have had in the past! I bet he only had 25 yd rushing the hold nite. Maybe use him on jet sweeps but between the tackles it's not goin to work n teams will drop back in coverage to stop the pass n then what. I love watching u guys play but teams are figuring your system out its time to start doing something new or your never win a state title again! No disrespect but teams are gunning for u guys all over the state n they'll do whatever to help each other to beat u guys! Get u a power back that can run between the tackles n keep the passing game going n I see another state title if the defense come together!

All of u have a good opinions but I watched the game yesterday n Richlands needs some major adjustments on Defense n Offense but the running game for u guys have always been strong to get that 3rd n 1 but white just don't fit the size back that Richlands have had in the past! I bet he only had 25 yd rushing the hold nite. Maybe use him on jet sweeps but between the tackles it's not goin to work n teams will drop back in coverage to stop the pass n then what. I love watching u guys play but teams are figuring your system out its time to start doing something new or your never win a state title again! No disrespect but teams are gunning for u guys all over the state n they'll do whatever to help each other to beat u guys! Get u a power back that can run between the tackles n keep the passing game going n I see another state title if the defense come together!

What in the hell is "n"????  This isn't twitter.  Type the whole word or get out...

You are missing my point, but you have scored points for me.  Both teams ran the football, both teams defeated us.  How they scored is completely irrelevant.  Look at the teams that defeated us in the playoffs for the last few years.  You named the last two, Giles, Cave Spring, Poquoson, Monticello and Turner Ashby.  All strong running teams.  Only Brookville was a Spread team.  Rockbridge was a spread team in 2006, which was a team we defeated, but I honestly felt that we were 4 touchdowns better.  In summary, when we play good teams that can run the football, we struggle.  And I don't think the defense is to blame.  Teams that can control the clock have a major advantage.  And to be clear, I am the biggest supporter of our kids, this is simply a strategy discussion.  And on the defense, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Great defense has long been a staple of Richlands football. These are simply my opinions, doesn't mean that I am right, just my two cents.

I totally agree with you on this point.  You have to be able to grind some time off of the clock when you are in those situations.  

That escalated in a hurry and ended just as fast. Long live the rule of law, what G-Man says is the law, is the law! I still don't think the kid has any idea what he did.