Classification appeals tomorrow.

futbolking

I've never been an admirer of Abingdon but I have always appreciated the fact that they are a challenging opponent in most sports.  And given the resurgence of their football program, I'll definitely miss them as a district mate.  

On its face, Abingdon's request to switch districts is downright perplexing.  By my calculations, they're effectively adding an additional two and a half hours of overall travel time for district games.  And there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in the level of competition between the Mountain District and the SWD (at least from a Falcon perspective).  So what gives?

I've never been an admirer of Abingdon but I have always appreciated the fact that they are a challenging opponent in most sports. And given the resurgence of their football program, I'll definitely miss them as a district mate.

On its face, Abingdon's request to switch districts is downright perplexing. By my calculations, they're effectively adding an additional two and a half hours of overall travel time for district games. And there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in the level of competition between the Mountain District and the SWD (at least from a Falcon perspective). So what gives?

I think you get better competition in the MD. GC, Union, Ridgeview, Central. They all have had teams go to state finals recently. It's just a stronger conference.

On its face, Abingdon's request to switch districts is downright perplexing.  By my calculations, they're effectively adding an additional two and a half hours of overall travel time for district games.  And there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in the level of competition between the Mountain District and the SWD (at least from a Falcon perspective).  So what gives?

Fewer district games to provide more space to play 3A teams? At the time they started the appeal, they were probably under the impression that the SWD would be an 8 team district. That's the only way that I can rationalize the decision.

Fewer district games to provide more space to play 3A teams? At the time they started the appeal, they were probably under the impression that the SWD would be an 8 team district. That's the only way that I can rationalize the decision.

Playing the closest 3A team the same distance as heading to most of the MD teams, so it's actually probably easier than trying to fill a schedule with more 3A squads. 

I think you get better competition in the MD. GC, Union, Ridgeview, Central. They all have had teams go to state finals recently. It's just a stronger conference.

So if I'm following this correctly, here's one possible train of thought.  Abingdon's football team will qualify for the Division 3 playoffs most years and will be better prepared for that level of play by facing the enhanced level of competition offered by the Mountain District.  And the Falcons stand a good chance of being extremely competitive in nearly every other sport -- if not being outright dominant in some.  I can get my head around that, but it's hard to imagine that it is worth a 50% increase in travel time and costs.

But then again, it's their decision and it probably doesn't have a huge impact on Richlands either way.  Shine on, you crazy Falcons.

So if I'm following this correctly, here's one possible train of thought.  Abingdon's football team will qualify for the Division 3 playoffs most years and will be better prepared for that level of play by facing the enhanced level of competition offered by the Mountain District.  And the Falcons stand a good chance of being extremely competitive in nearly every other sport -- if not being outright dominant in some.  I can get my head around that, but it's hard to imagine that it is worth a 50% increase in travel time and costs.

But then again, it's their decision and it probably doesn't have a huge impact on Richlands either way.  Shine on, you crazy Falcons.

That could be the thought process. It could also be that they will have more district teams, therefor negating the possibility of having to travel to other 3A schools to fill a schedule. 

Who knows. I just hope they keep Richlands on the schedule. 

That could be the thought process. It could also be that they will have more district teams, therefor negating the possibility of having to travel to other 3A schools to fill a schedule.

Who knows. I just hope they keep Richlands on the schedule.

I doubt they will drop Richlands till the transfers stop, I mean the talent hits a valley.

Graham is the one that should worried. Would graham try to add belfry since they are having a hard time completing a schedule lately? Or a WV power?

Tazewell, Marion, and lebanon are auto drops come football time.

Well I know that much but I was hoping someone would do the hard work and figure that out for me lol

As of 2009-10 they were over 1300 students. Salem is just over 1200 students. So if Princeton is around the same number at this point, they would be a 4A school in VA.

I think Princeton falls into 3A territory with an enrollment of around 1100.  But Princeton can't afford to play Graham right now because in WV you have to play 6 teams in your class which for Princeton is WV AAA and in WV Graham is AA. Due to Princeton dropping out of the MSSAC conference all MSSAC teams (and they are all AAA in WV) are prohibited from playing Princeton for 4 years (3 more). So Princeton could play Virginia schools but they would need to be AAA size by WV standards which is 933 students, Right now Princeton does not have the 6 required for next season (they got a bye this year due to existing contracts) so they need to find larger schools to play when they do their schedule for next year.  There are only three AAA in schools in Southern WV; Princeton, Greenbrier East and Woodrow Wilson of Beckley. Princeton is prohibited from playing Woodrow Wilson.  You see the difficulty facing Princeton in scheduling right now. If Abingdon's enrollment is over 933 I think Princeton would be open to home and home games with them if the schedules lined up.

WV AAA schools link.  http://www.wvssac.org/classificiations/classifications-aaa/

WV AA schools link.   http://www.wvssac.org/classificiations/classifications-aa/

WV A  schools link.   http://www.wvssac.org/classificiations/classifications/

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with a district composed of

VA High, Battle, Abingdon, Marion, Carroll and Grayson ?

VA High wasn't happy in the MD and in this scenario would pass schools from 2 different(and perfectly suitable) districts to play ANY of their district opponents if they stayed in the SWD.

Ive got no problem with Battle but this would be strictly a numbers move.

Carroll, Grayson and Abingdon make a lot of sense geographically.

The scheduling situation for Princeton sounds terrible, some very unfair rules in play given the distribution of schools in WV.   Also I don't know the history, why cant Princeton play Woodrow WIlson?

The decison makers at Abingdon believe the money pertaining to crowds at football games will be better in the Mountain District. For the most part fans of the Mountain District (Union/Gate City) travel better than the Southwest District and that makes for a better gate. Travel times for their student athletes never came into consideration.

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with a district composed of

VA High, Battle, Abingdon, Marion, Carroll and Grayson ?

VA High wasn't happy in the MD and in this scenario would pass schools from 2 different(and perfectly suitable) districts to play ANY of their district opponents.

Ive got no problem with Battle but this would be strictly a numbers move.

Carroll, Grayson and Abingdon make a lot of sense geographically.

The only thing "wrong" with it is the fact that it's logical!

Grayson would never go for it though. They aren't going to move away from a district association with Galax and Fort Chiswell without major community uproar.

Very few locally understand, or care to understand, classifications based on enrollment. Most lacals don't fully understand why Carroll has never been in the MED and blame Grayson and Galax for "keeping them out".

I'm not sure Graham will have a problem with scheduling for football next year. They loose  Narrows, Bland County, Galax, Grayson County and Fort Chiswell. They gain Lebanon, Virginia High, Marion. That means 2 games needed.  If there is a problem the schools I would look to in WV would be James Monroe, Pikeview and River View. Maybe those schools aren't interested but who knows. I would also look to Virginia Schools like Rural Retreat, Patrick Henry and Chilhowie which will certainly need games.