Biggest Surprise / Biggest Let Down Teams so far?

bgibb

coach MULLINS is a good coach

Um... no.

I will say that he switched up the offense some last night and had a lot more passing involved, but way too many freaking penalties.

A few years ago I would of put Clintwood year after year up against alot of these 2A schools and they would of probably held their own but mix them with another good program in H aysi and they forget how to play.

Clintwood never fared well against the 2A teams... I think in their state championship season a few years back, they went to Grayson County and got waxed.

I don't think anyone in SWVA expected John Battle to be 4-3 at this point... Not even the kids that play there! And to be honest, if it weren't for one safety falling down on a long pass & 55 yards in stupid penalties in the 4th Quarter of the Patrick Henry game allowing them to come from behind in the last 3 minutes, they would be 5-2. So I am very surprised to see JSB doing this well with a team that only has 7 Seniors.

Rick Mullins is not on the same level as James Colley. Only a small group would be above James and Rick isn't in that group. Opinions, well you know the rest.

How many state titles does Colley have? How bout Mullins?

From 2007-2012, Clintwood was never worse than 6th. Hell since 99 they were never lower than 27th. Compare that to Haysi, who only was top ten three years from 1999-2015, never higher than 6th.

What rankings are you using?

I'm assuming VHSL Reference...and while not perfect, it paints a pretty clear picture of the 2 programs. I have to agree with Bigwinners, trophies and results point to Mullins being the correct choice to coach Ridgeview. Nothing against Colley, but I've always viewed him as a very good coach, not an elite one.

That's not my point. I'm not arguing. I stated an opinion that I will always believe. I hope for nothing but the best for Rick Mullins and Ridgeview. As a Haysi alum, I favor James Colley with my opinion. With that said, I would love nothing more than to see Rick guide Ridgeview to multiple state championships and break every swva and vhsl record in the process. I just wish it could've been James Colley. Some posters want to disagree. That's their opinion and I'm fine with that. No one is going to change my mind with their opinion and I'm not trying to change theirs. Again, it's my opinion.

That's not my point. I'm not arguing. I stated an opinion that I will always believe. I hope for nothing but the best for Rick Mullins and Ridgeview. As a Haysi alum, I favor James Colley with my opinion. With that said, I would love nothing more than to see Rick guide Ridgeview to multiple state championships and break every swva and vhsl record in the process. I just wish it could've been James Colley. Some posters want to disagree. That's their opinion and I'm fine with that. No one is going to change my mind with their opinion and I'm not trying to change theirs. Again, it's my opinion.

I respect that, its a fair opinion to have. As a BSG/PV alum,I'll defend Phil to the death even tho most everyone outside of Big Stone despises him lol

The dumb decision to go for it on 4th down in your own territory with a 7-3 lead against Lee High with about a minute to go in the half did it for me, plus the stupid jet sweep every freaking play when it averages about -3 yards a play did it for me.  I think about 90% of the Ridgeview fan base INCLUDING Clintwood people agree at this point.  Like I said, though, Friday night was a step in the right direction.  Over 300 yards through the air... looked promising actually.  Let's see if the trend continues against Marion this week.

If the ridgeview consolidation had occurred in 2010 instead of 2015 Ridgeview has several CMD titles and possibly a AA State title....The Talent level has dipped in a couple of grades but looks to be on the rebound with the underclassmen starting on the team. The biggest concern is that currently there are a lot of players that could contribute to the football team that are walking the halls of the Highschool and that will have to change if we want to see RV be a top level team.

If the ridgeview consolidation had occurred in 2010 instead of 2015 Ridgeview has several CMD titles and possibly a AA State title....The Talent level has dipped in a couple of grades but looks to be on the rebound with the underclassmen starting on the team. The biggest concern is that currently there are a lot of players that could contribute to the football team that are walking the halls of the Highschool and that will have to change if we want to see RV be a top level team.

Literally 0 chance Ridgeview would have a AA title of the consolidation happened in 2010. I still don't think folks in Dickenson County fully recognize how great the increase in competition is when you go from A to AA.

Literally 0 chance Ridgeview would have a AA title of the consolidation happened in 2010. I still don't think folks in Dickenson County fully recognize how great the increase in competition is when you go from A to AA.

Clintwood nor Galax could have beaten Gretna, Goochland, Monroe or Brookville in 2011 and it would not have been close.

1st I said possibly (I would put them with anyone this half of the state)  2nd I did not say 2011 and 3rd I am not saying Clintwood would have won a AA title in those years but Mix them with Haysi who had some top shelf talent as well and at the very lease we are not sitting at the bottom of the CMD LOL

This is my opinion, so don't burn me at the stake if you disagree.

Biggest Surprises:

Grundy - The Wave, though not one of the best but more than likely a middle of the pack 2A West team. They seem to have vastly improved. The Wave will more than likely capture their first winning season in 5 years and will at least see the 1st round of the VHSL 2A Playoffs.

Castlewood - I know, you're thinking "Castlewood??!!!", but give me second to explain. For the Cumberland District, Castlewood has proven they can compete. They have a chance this week to defeat J.I. Burton and more than likely with a win, claim the district. Not bad for a team that's posted a 7-23 record the last 3 seasons. Just seeing Castlewood with a winning record is a surprise to me.

Graham - When Gate City went to Graham earlier this season for the jamboree I was highly impressed and surprised from what I seen from Graham. I thought they were a well rounded, tough, physical football team. Unlike the 2014 G-Men which got smoked by GC 70-0. I left Bluefield that day saying "Graham has a dang good football team this season." I was surprised then not now that they are 6-1 and should be 7-0 but blew their game vs Richlands.

John Battle - to be honest, the verdict is still out on the Boys of Battle Hill. Yes they have a winning record sitting pretty in the rankings at #13 with a 4-3 record. But remember, the Trojans have Gate City, Lee High, and Union left which can quickly turn that 4-3 into 4-6. Ouch! But for the Trojans to have 4 wins this season with 3 games to go, that's a surprise in itself. Keep it up Battle...just not this week!

Biggest Busts:

Wise Central - The Warriors were supposed to compete and possibly make a playoff run this season. Though the Warriors seem to have collapsed after their nail biting win vs Lebanon. I know injuries is more than likely playing a big role into Central's 3 game losing streak. But the Warriors can salvage their season with 2 wins vs Lee High and Gate City to end 5-5.

Ridgeview - 1A powers Clintwood and Haysi (sorry Ervington) form to become 1 powerhouse that will rule all of 2A football across the state!....ehhhh not quite. Ridgeview's success never really followed the hype. The lone-win 'Pack seems to be going through the "Sophomore Slump", at least they better hope. A big ole brand new school with a beautiful turf football field, and a lack luster team to play on it. 'Pack fans are now arguing on who should be the head coach. Dark days for the brand new highly promised school. If they don't right the ship soon they'll fast forward 20 years and realized they turned into another Lee High.

Honaker - Did you know Honaker hasn't missed the playoffs this decade? The last year the Tigers went home after 10 games was in 2009. Honaker will more than likely follow the 2009 team's lead this year. Unless the Tigers can win out vs Twin Valley and Ridgeview and somehow sneak into the playoffs at 4-6, very doubtful. That alone puts them into the biggest bust catagory.

Teams doing as I expected:

Richlands - figured they would go 10-0.

Abingdon - figured 9-1 (1 loss to Richlands) didn't think Graham would get em but figured it would be close.

Union - figured 9-1. (loss to Richlands)

Gate City - expected at least 6-4 (should have defeated Sullivan South) looks like 5-5.

Lee High - knew they would start strong then fizzle out towards the meat of the schedule.

Hurley - figured they would be succesful with the team they have vs the schedule they play.

J.I. Burton - lost their QB to graduation and their best lineman to DB. Expected a bit of a down year.

Virginia High - knew they would post another mediocre season, once again.

Patrick Henry - figure as long as Humphrey stays healthy, the Rebels would finish no worse than 8-2.

Marion - exceeding my expectations just a little bit but not enough to be a surprise. The Rural Retreat loss makes me scratch my head though.

+1 and that offense just doesn't work at the 2A level.  I think the coaching staff finally realized that since the offense drastically changed for the better Friday night.

Good game by your boy the other night.  Heard his name mentioned over the PA quite a bit.  Always a good thing.  :)