Basketball!!!

futbolking

You guys do realize that Mac McClung has 7 D1 offers and has yet to start his Junior season right? That's 7 D1 offers with 2 more years of high school ball left. And Zac Ervin has one D1 offer going into his Sophomore season with 3 years of ball left.

Where is Ervin's offer?

You guys do realize that Mac McClung has 7 D1 offers and has yet to start his Junior season right? That's 7 D1 offers with 2 more years of high school ball left. And Zac Ervin has one D1 offer going into his Sophomore season with 3 years of ball left.

That's why I was asking if there was others in the last 10 years to go D1 from this area. Since in the last 12 years only 3 names were mentioned that really shows how impressive is is that McClung has 7 with 2 years of high school left.

His 7 offers are:

(1) ETSU

(2) Wofford

(3) Air Force

(4) Central Arkansas

(5) Kent State

(6) Radford

(7) Miami-Ohio

None of those are P5, and only three could generously be classified as mid-majors.

Considering the last 5 seasons for each of those teams, we have 35 seasons of data. There are a combined 15 winning seasons for those teams, 14 of which are ETSU, Wofford, Kent State, and Radford. Only Wofford has reached the NCAA Tournament (twice), and it is 0-2 when it gets there.

Any D-1 offer is a whale of an accomplishment, and I hope that McClung lights the world on fire, wherever he goes. I want to see kids from this area succeed in the worst way.

But in terms of purely D-1 talent, he objectively doesn't project well. But that's the thing...where there's a will, there's a way.

I'll certainly keep a watch.

Futbolking  who is the player that Dan River lost? Is it the 6ft. 4 or 6ft. 5 forward/ guard?  Their best player?  

They lost Rodney Womble and Shamar Parker, both transferred to other schools to play.  Also lost 3 other seniors.

Womble had 16 points against Graham last year.

His 7 offers are:

(1) ETSU

(2) Wofford

(3) Air Force

(4) Central Arkansas

(5) Kent State

(6) Radford

(7) Miami-Ohio

None of those are P5, and only three could generously be classified as mid-majors.

Considering the last 5 seasons for each of those teams, we have 35 seasons of data. There are a combined 15 winning seasons for those teams, 14 of which are ETSU, Wofford, Kent State, and Radford. Only Wofford has reached the NCAA Tournament (twice), and it is 0-2 when it gets there.

Any D-1 offer is a whale of an accomplishment, and I hope that McClung lights the world on fire, wherever he goes. I want to see kids from this area succeed in the worst way.

But in terms of purely D-1 talent, he objectively doesn't project well. But that's the thing...where there's a will, there's a way.

I'll certainly keep a watch.

In what objective respect does he "not project well?"  He's not projecting as a high level ACC level player but that's mostly due to him being only about 6' and not having top line quickness.  Kid can windmill at 6' and has a frame that can put on some muscle so the athleticism is certainly D1 level.  At our level he can finish at the rim with but I would agree that he will likely have trouble translating that to the college level.  His midrange game is top line due to the elevation he gets on his jumper if he puts the effort in to become a quality shooter he can be a pretty good guard at the mid-major college level just off of shooting the ball.  The physical tools are certainly there-

If people are talking about him being in the ESPN 100 then they definitely need to be given a reality check-but for our area he is the very definition of elite and is certain to get a full ride to a D1 school which would make him the strongest guard in the area.  

In what objective respect does he "not project well?" He's not projecting as a high level ACC level player but that's mostly due to him being only about 6' and not having top line quickness. Kid can windmill at 6' and has a frame that can put on some muscle so the athleticism is certainly D1 level. At our level he can finish at the rim with but I would agree that he will likely have trouble translating that to the college level. His midrange game is top line due to the elevation he gets on his jumper if he puts the effort in to become a quality shooter he can be a pretty good guard at the mid-major college level just off of shooting the ball. The physical tools are certainly there-

If people are talking about him being in the ESPN 100 then they definitely need to be given a reality check-but for our area he is the very definition of elite and is certain to get a full ride to a D1 school which would make him the strongest guard in the area.

You start your post in a somewhat adversarial manner. You then concede 2 of the 4 reasons I make my assertion (the others being lack of elite competition and inconsistency, which you tangentially reference yourself), making my point for me. Then you conclude with literally the exact same conclusion I made at the top of the page, which is that McClung is the best basketball player in SWVA.

He projects as a lower-rung D1 guard, which I went way above and beyond to praise as a noteworthy accomplishment.

How are we disagreeing, exactly?

Are we even disagreeing?

His lack of size is mentioned quite a bit, but looking at his family I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see him shoot up to 6'2" to 6'4" within the next couple years. But 6'0 isn't really all that small....there's plenty of guards that have his size that play D1. However, I'm not going to sit here and say that he has the talent that alot of those guys have that do play with his size though. The talent required to play for Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc is insane and it would be ridiculous to even compare him to some kids of that caliber. Even the most blind homers would have more sense than that (one would think). I hope he has improved dramatically and ends up with some huge D1 offers....but I think he has to take his game to another level to get there and hopefully for him he possesses the ability to do so. Just have to wait and see....alot of physical and mental maturation still left ahead of him.

Im not really sure he is too far behind in speed to be honest.  I will say that his dad wont let him be outworked by many.  Those 5:30am workout sessions makes sure he in as good of physical condition as his age and genetics allow him to be.  He and Ervin are both making sure they face quality talent by playing with some of the best travel organizations in VA.

As for ETSU I would love to see him land there but I dont see Forbes taking too many risks with HS players he isnt sure of while there. I was looking at this years ETSU roster a couple of days ago.  They have 1 freshman and 0 sophomores on this years team.  Forbes is trying to drag in as many castoffs from other major teams (2 from Indiana, 1 from Wichita State) and JUCOs to have quick impacts it looks like.  Being that he is a former JUCO coach it doesnt surprise me too much.

You start your post in a somewhat adversarial manner. You then concede 2 of the 4 reasons I make my assertion (the others being lack of elite competition and inconsistency, which you tangentially reference yourself), making my point for me. Then you conclude with literally the exact same conclusion I made at the top of the page, which is that McClung is the best basketball player in SWVA.

He projects as a lower-rung D1 guard, which I went way above and beyond to praise as a noteworthy accomplishment.

How are we disagreeing, exactly?

Are we even disagreeing?

You referred to him as "not a strong guard" in terms of D1 talent, which I generally disagreed with due to my own assessment of him having seen him on multiple occasions over the past few years, not to mention his multiple D1 offers as junior. Perhaps you are in Richmond where there is a lot more high quality talent-but I feel like his ceiling is that of a mid-major starting guard--which in our area is pretty lofty. After a bit of back and forth, we are probably pretty close in our opinions of the kid as a player, but even if not reasonable minds can always disagree

Just seen some info on Bradley Dean...the upcoming freshman this season for GC. I knew he was really good when I seem him play last year....but its already being said that he has the size, handle, and a jumper that translates well to the next level according to the NYBL. He's 6'3" and can shoot the lights out and handles the ball extremely well. He played in the NYBL (National Youth Basketball League) this summer and got alot of attention in the Tournament for Team Explosion of Tennessee for the class of 2020. Out of all the teams in the nation that played in it I think he made 5th team which is very impressive.

Bradley put up either 50 or 51 points on Dobyns Bennett and the other game I seen him play in was the JV championship game against Ridgeview where he scored 32 points and had double digit assists but actually had an off night shooting the ball in the first half. The kid has the tangibles to end up being the best basketball player to come through GC since Josh Shoemaker who ended up going to Wake Forest. Really excited to see how McClung, Ervin, and Dean turn out and even more excited to see them all play together for the next 2 years.

Talking to DR people, they lost 2 returnees to transfer, Womble being one, they think they will still be decent but not as good without them. Mavahi lost Holland, Dandridge, and Bradley but return 4 who played alot last year and they also have a transfer from out of state who was 2nd team all state as a soph. Also have 3-4 starters up from jv who have gone 38-5 over the last 2 years. No 6'7" kid like Holland but a bunch of 6'2"-6'3" types. Will still be competitive but not like the last 2 years. They may press and run more this year.

I expect Martinsville to be a solid team pretty much every year....and the same goes for DR. They may not be loaded or have a legit big man but those 6'2"-6'3" athletes are hard to deal with when there's several of them on the court who can shoot and hustle 24/7. Those two teams just know how to win. Wouldnt expect anything less than to see one or both of them make it back into the post season this year.

Yeah in the 2-3 games I seen him play last year his shot looked unreal. It's not too often that you actually see a kid in 8th grade have a legit jumpshot where they elevate and can hang in mid air and take the shot at peak elevation...all while keeping this motion 100% fluid and in control and not lose form.

I'm very excited to see him get to play with McClung and Ervin....just hoping all these guys can mesh together. And here's to hoping that a leader emerges.... needs to be a source of leadership on this young team. When adversity hits, it will be interesting to see how these guys respond.

Does anyone know when the schedules come out? Im interested in seeing who all is scheduled from across the state line this year.