Projections/Scenarios for 2016 Playoff Pairings

Union_Fan

We had to travel to Broadway 2 years ago and that's more than 4 hours...ugh, trust me. But I believe that was reeds choice, like Ryan said. Wanted to play on Friday for symmetry reasons. It was colder than a witches tit in a brass bra doing push ups in the snow.

I didn't pack warm because we were going to be in the press box (just one layer of pants and two layers up top), but the way they built that press box (right on top of the metal bleachers on the home side), there was no insulation whatsoever, and the cold permeated your body from every surface you touched (including the metal bleachers underneath). We were seeing our breath in the box and chattering our teeth on air. Honestly, we had a guy from outside come in to get warm and then turn around and say, "I think it's warmer out here, the only difference is the wind." We couldn't feel our feet again in the car until Blacksburg, even with the heat pumped. That's just how cold it was. Also, I learned my lesson. Freezing or not in the press box, I pack warm and work backwards. You can always take layers off.

I didn't pack warm because we were going to be in the press box (just one layer of pants and two layers up top), but the way they built that press box (right on top of the metal bleachers on the home side), there was no insulation whatsoever, and the cold permeated your body from every surface you touched (including the metal bleachers underneath). We were seeing our breath in the box and chattering our teeth on air. Honestly, we had a guy from outside come in to get warm and then turn around and say, "I think it's warmer out here, the only difference is the wind." We couldn't feel our feet again in the car until Blacksburg, even with the heat pumped. That's just how cold it was. Also, I learned my lesson. Freezing or not in the press box, I pack warm and work backwards. You can always take layers off.

I watched every Richlands game last year in shorts. Even the Grayson and Buckingham games...redtiger can attest to that. So far, I'm 10/10 on wearing shorts to Richlands games this year. 

You'll have that more times than not early in your broadcasting career. I for one realized how well we had it in Southwest Virginia facility wise once I left the area. 

I've done games from places such as tool sheds sitting on top of a John Deere to the back of a school bus. 

I watched every Richlands game last year in shorts. Even the Grayson and Buckingham games...redtiger can attest to that. So far, I'm 10/10 on wearing shorts to Richlands games this year. 

The crew I officiate with most times tries to do as many games as possible in short sleeves.  We worked a Sullivan North/Haysi game a few years ago in short sleeves when it was 17* and flurrying snow at times.

I'm the same way, although I am old now and just couldn't pull it off for the Ridgeview/Marion game, with the constant drizzle and wind.  Weren't you cold in Abingdon that night?  I think you guys got quite a bit more rain that night than we did.

You'll have that more times than not early in your broadcasting career. I for one realized how well we had it in Southwest Virginia facility wise once I left the area. 

I've done games from places such as tool sheds sitting on top of a John Deere to the back of a school bus. 

Absolutely. I have done football games from the stands, in a building on the hill behind the stadium (a little bit like the Waveland Avenue effect for Cubs games...or what used to be), outside of the press box with the bullhorns blasting the PA noise in our ears (and consequently over the air), basketball games from in, behind and caddy-cornered with bleachers, equipment rooms and of course on the floor, and baseball games from a press box which is even with the bag at 1st, a locker room window, and from outside the 3rd base dugout.

I went with Lloyd to a Reg. D baseball tourney game at Ewing years back - set up under one of those funeral home tents near where the on-deck circle would be. Don't think THAT would've been there but the forecast was 50% showers.

Ron's done a bunch of games on GTH from the bleachers - most HS press boxes just weren't built for 2 visiting radio stations.

Is there any projection of GW outpointing Hurley for the #2 spot?

Right now there is only a 1 point difference between the 2. If GW wins Friday they will get 24 points. If Hurley wins they will get 28 points which will give Hurley a 5 point advantage so it's really gonna come down to rider points and GW will get more rider points than Hurley(not sure exactly how many). It'll be close

I'm the same way, although I am old now and just couldn't pull it off for the Ridgeview/Marion game, with the constant drizzle and wind. Weren't you cold in Abingdon that night? I think you guys got quite a bit more rain that night than we did.

Nope. Had my under armor on and a hoodie. And a Richlands beanie. That kept me plenty warm. The only thing I did different for that game was wear shoes instead of flip flops lol.

check out my cheat sheets

Those things were confusing... Lol.  I couldn't tell if you thought Ridgeview was going to make it or not.

I've quit speculating now... Lol.  I'll just go watch the game Friday night, then come back home and calculate up the power points when I get back.

had 2 ppl. on Preps say the same thing.

Don't know what it is with ppl. this year

Either A: they see Richlands on top and automatically assume it's wrong. B: they don't take the time to read your method of using the numbers, since that is what actually matters. Or C: All of the above.

I'm betting C.

had 2 ppl. on Preps say the same thing.

Don't know what it is with ppl. this year

They scroll thru the first two paragraphs of the page down to the pairings from last year. I did it myself the first time I looked at the page.

Either A: they see Richlands on top and automatically assume it's wrong. B: they don't take the time to read your method of using the numbers, since that is what actually matters. Or C: All of the above.

I'm betting C.

Or D...since it's actually a ratings calculation, not a total point calculation, it is most correct to draw out the numbers as a ratings calculation and not a total point calculation. I have always found it bizarre that some will go to painstaking lengths to do something and half-ass the final step, which is simply dividing the total by games played. Most of us have been to third grade and can multiply decimals.

Whether you divide by 10 or give the total, the order is still the same.  It's a breakdown of numbers giving you a better idea of what the team needs, which you don't see giving the avg. rating.  If you need the rating for whatever reason...divide.  You get the same end results at the end of the season no matter how you list it.