Martinsville at Graham

Graham32

obviously I'm asking you to speculate here, but would you estimate that graham has as much overall team speed as someone like maybe magna vista or gw-danville? 

in other words, team speed all over the field, or just 3 or 4 real burners and just kind of normal everywhere else?

Fastest team that I have seen at Graham (some say 2001 was faster, I disagree).  Speed all over the field and 3 or 4 with exceptional speed. I would really like your opinion if you come to the game, as I have not seen Magna Vista or GW Danville this season.  In a typical year, I would say those two schools would be faster than Graham for sure, but this year's Graham team has been blessed with speedsters.  Crazy thing is, two of their speedsters transferred out, one to Richlands (Booker) and one to Tazewell (Harris).  I can't imagine anybody with more team speed had those two stayed, especially in 2A.

Cousin, Cooke, Ballard, Reed, Meade, Chinault, Allen, Cooper (injured) all with around 4.5 - 4.6 speed. Cooke and Ballard the fastest of the bunch with Cooke posting a 4.47 at an invite in Charlotte, NC before the season started.  The line is not the typical big and slow line....they are lean, athletic and quick as well. (Graham has had a harder time against teams with bigger, more physical lines).

OT but I saw UVA was preseason top ten in AP poll, will they be that good this season? I figured this was the season we'd see a drop off.

I think we're Top 25 good, but I don't know if we're Top 10 good. The defense looks as good as ever, but the offense is raw and needs work. Shayok has taken a huge leap forward this year. The depth is what makes this team special. Little drop-off between guys 7 and 13.

I think we're Top 25 good, but I don't know if we're Top 10 good. The defense looks as good as ever, but the offense is raw and needs work. Shayok has taken a huge leap forward this year. The depth is what makes this team special. Little drop-off between guys 7 and 13.

Bennett will always have an elite defense, scoring is jus always slightly behind with his teams. He's truly one of the best coaches in the nation. I figure same as you, UVA is def top 20 team I jus wasntnsure about top ten. I knew Perrentes is legit, a great guard, but if Shayok can score 15-19 PPG, UVAs in great shape.

I root for Bama, but if Tide doesn't make NCAAT this season, a loss like today is why. Led Dayton entire game until very end. I hope Daytokn kid is okay, suffered a pretty nasty leg injury as game ended.

Graham is truly one of the fastest teams I've been around. They are fast at almost every position. So many of their athletes play other sports and are good in those too. They have two 6'2 225 lb Allstate soccer players playing line that are in exceptional shape along with basketball, baseball players as lineman alone. The boys are in shape. I believe the multiple sports have got them ahead of other teams in the area. Most of palmers players play multiple sports and stay in great shape.

If he's 5'1" 150lb te, he better be mean. I'm sure Graham will be the biggest and fastest team the Dogs have faced all year, so I just hope we can keep it close and have a chance in the 4th, if not I hope we play hard the whole game. We have a tendency to quit when things go bad and it sounds like things may go bad.

If he's 5'1" 150lb te, he better be mean. I'm sure Graham will be the biggest and fastest team the Dogs have faced all year, so I just hope we can keep it close and have a chance in the 4th, if not I hope we play hard the whole game. We have a tendency to quit when things go bad and it sounds like things may go bad.

Was Dan River not big? Hard to really tell from the Hudl clips.

DR had good size, and good speed. They had 3 big plays against Martinsville that was the difference in the game, with the biggest when the Dogs drove to the DR 3 right before half but the DR db jumped an out pattern and ran the int back 100+ for a td and the Wilcats won 24-10. DR is solid with decent size and above avg team speed, pretty solid on D and they will hit you

The Gmen are a lean fast bunch. They have performed well against bigger lines this year and have contained well on defense. Looked at maxpreps roster on martinsville. Didn't show any huge kids. Had one big kid that helped average I guess. Grahams line is quick off the ball on both sides. Should be a good game. Looks like martinsville a is most like Galax. Which was no problem for Graham.

the maxpreps roster is somewhat incomplete.  several guys have just height and no weight listed and i noticed that one starter on the OL doesn't have height or weight listed.  He and his brother are pretty much the 2 biggest guys on the team.

the front 5 are roughly -  6'3 240, 6'1 290, 5'8 275, 6'2 305, 6'1 240.  Then the 6'3 230 TE.  And i guess the first OL mixed into the rotation is one of the starters' younger brother who is 6'3 330ish.

good size, but not great depth.  that would be mhs's biggest weakness, but that's true for most schools with 600 or fewer students.

Galax's actual team roster on the MED website, which i trust much more than maxpreps, says the maroon tide have exactly 3 kids north of 200lbs on the whole team.  Martinsville has 15.  I'm not implying that weight makes you any better of a ball player, but that tells me that galax's roster isn't really anything like Martinsville's.

Galax's actual team roster on the MED website, which i trust much more than maxpreps, says the maroon tide have exactly 3 kids north of 200lbs on the whole team.  Martinsville has 15.  I'm not implying that weight makes you any better of a ball player, but that tells me that galax's roster isn't really anything like Martinsville's.

I am not sure who posted the Galax roster on the MED website but I can assure you, it isn't accurate for height, weight and in some cases, jersey number.  

That's not to imply Maxpreps is accurate.  Maxpreps is rarely accurate and if they are found to be, it's likely by accident.

the galax roster on mountainempiredistrictva.org would have most likely been posted in house.  in other words, the staff or the AD most likely put that roster there.  take a look there for yourself and see what you think.

I know for a fact that the Martinsville AD adds the team rosters and has the scores listed on piedmontdistrictva.org.  that's why the rosters are listed for some teams and not for others.  some schools use that site very well, other schools not so much.  for example, graham doesn't have their roster listed there.

the "insert district name here" va.org websites are a great tool to use for rosters, scores and schedules.  it would be great to see all of the schools use them more.

the galax roster on mountainempiredistrictva.org would have most likely been posted in house.  in other words, the staff or the AD most likely put that roster there.  take a look there for yourself and see what you think.

I'm not trusting that one either...it shows Cave Spring and Glenvar as "non-conference opponents"...yeh, but no...really...

I have the opposite Opinion of Cardinal.  (Hope he is correct, however).   I felt as if Graham struggled with the teams that were bigger and more physical on the line, like Giles and Richlands.  By eyesight, Galax had a decent line, but not nearly as big as Richlands or Giles, closer to the size of Graham's line.  I was at all 3 games and Graham had a harder time with the QB option and the off tackle stuff against the larger lines.  I think they need to go 5 wide, spread them out and get the ball out quickly, which they are quite capable of or get the ball to Cousin with more space to do what he does best, especially against the Richland's and Giles's of the world.  

A big line, doesn't necessarily mean a physical line...but if they are solid at the line, Graham may struggle with them a bit.  Like I say, spread them out and minimize their impact on the game.  Of course, this is just my opinion, I may be totally wrong  

Graham's line reminds me of Poquoson's line in 2010, not big, but lean and athletic and quick with enough size to not get steamrolled.  Not saying they are nearly as good as Poquoson's line, but similar in size and stature and quickness.

I know for a fact that the Martinsville AD adds the team rosters and has the scores listed on piedmontdistrictva.org.  that's why the rosters are listed for some teams and not for others.  some schools use that site very well, other schools not so much.  for example, graham doesn't have their roster listed there.

the "insert district name here" va.org websites are a great tool to use for rosters, scores and schedules.  it would be great to see all of the schools use them more.

I did take a look before my previous post and it isn't accurate.  My guess is, it was copied and pasted directly from the "football preview" the Galax Gazette published in August because it is eerily similar.  Knowing both the writer of the football preview and the AD at Galax, I believe it may be a little gamesmanship.

A coworkers son (#40) is listed at 5'-11" tall and weighing 185 pounds.  I stand 6'-1" tall and look up to him and it isn't close.  And he is NOT under 200 pounds.  George Wythe fans can verify Isaiah Brown isn't close to being 5'-11" tall , weighing 185 pounds.  If that kid is a pound under 220, I would be shocked and he is also taller than myself.  For the most part, Galax isn't leaps and bounds bigger than the roster indicates but there are some glaring inaccuracies.

It doesn't matter anyway.  Martinsville is playing Graham, not Galax.  In my humble opinion, Graham will win handily. 

Yea, I'm not claiming that roster to be the gospel either, but one quick look at Galax's calendar shows that there is theater practice at 5 o'clock today. That's clear evidence that the site is maintained in house. And kudos to Galax for using that site. I bet parents would love that site if it's used properly. Franklin County is the best I've seen. They put every practice and every detail on theirs.

And for the record, I don't have an issue with admitting that the G-Men have to be the favorite going into this one. 10-1 and home field will be tough to overcome.