Round 2 Updates

SWVAgridiron

12 hours ago, GMan said:

In WV AA...

If the teams leading at the half hold on, #10, #14, and #16 will advance to the State Semifinals...but it's such a good system to determine playoff seeds said no intelligent person ever...

#10 lost, but #14 and #16 advanced...

9 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I think GW done some things we hadn't seen on D and our offense was struggling to be as consistent as normal but the Galax defense was pretty stout other than a few plays here and there. I thought the coaching staff done a good job of making adjustments at halftime to put more points on the board. But you are right this was not Galax's best showing so hopefully they have there bad game out of the way.

I thought they had way too many 1st and 15’s and 2nd and 20’s, especially in the red-zone. It kept Galax out of the end zone on more than one occasion. If that isn’t cleaned up, they will have issues separating from Parry McCluer and/or Holston. 

GW did a good job of reversing the field on a few of those as well. Taking a turnover on downs on their own 12 to the red-zone with one big play on at least two occasions. 

Then Galax had a careless, sloppy turnover on  their own 18 yard line that led to a GW touchdown one play later. 

It’s too late in the season for those sloppy issues to still be happening. That’s what leads to basketball season. 

10 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

The Beavers will travel again.  This time, to what many think (according to WV Metro News Commentators) feel is arguably the best team in West WV's AA this year in Independence.  As usual, Fairmont Senior won again in a close one 33-28.  Fairmont will travel to the winner of Poca vs Franfort.  Calpreps predicts Bluefield over Independence 38-35

Indy has benefited from an extremely weak schedule and two cupcakes in the playoffs...no more cupcakes after this week...

Everyone in WV will tell you, Fairmont and Bluefield are the teams to beat...

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I thought they had way too many 1st and 15’s and 2nd and 20’s, especially in the red-zone. It kept Galax out of the end zone on more than one occasion. If that isn’t cleaned up, they will have issues separating from Parry McCluer and/or Holston. 

GW did a good job of reversing the field on a few of those as well. Taking a turnover on downs on their own 12 to the red-zone with one big play on at least two occasions. 

Then Galax had a careless, sloppy turnover on  their own 18 yard line that led to a GW touchdown one play later. 

It’s too late in the season for those sloppy issues to still be happening. That’s what leads to basketball season. 

I agree but the turnover came from a backup who hardly ever gets to play QB but I see your point

6 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I agree but the turnover came from a backup who hardly ever gets to play QB but I see your point

That’s true. The turnover happened when the game was no longer in doubt and Galax had wholesale substitutions in the game. It was just surprising to see so many procedure penalties in the red-zone. It absolutely killed 3 or 4 drives. That wasn’t relative to backups. That happened all game long. 

Those things are usually ironed out well before the second round of the playoffs. Hopefully it was an anomaly. 

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

That’s true. The turnover happened when the game was no longer in doubt and Galax had wholesale substitutions in the game. It was just surprising to see so many procedure penalties in the red-zone. It absolutely killed 3 or 4 drives. That wasn’t relative to backups. That happened all game long. 

Those things are usually ironed out well before the second round of the playoffs. Hopefully it was an anomaly. 

Agreed and hopefully they got that stuff out their system