Scrimmages/Benefit games

redtiger

15 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Blues are a work in progress. Still had 3 OL/DL out tonight (two should be back for GC next week) and our best WR. 
This is a team that has 2 players who have taken meaningful varsity snaps before. So it’s gonna gonna take a while. 
Unfortunately they lost their starting MLB tonight and it looks like it may be a season ended. 

I could see a season similar to last year. But if they have some injuries with the most difficult schedule in SWVA, could be a long season.  

Uncle Percy and Cousin Delbert went to this game. Uncle Percy said that if the Blues are a work in progress then they had better start taking shorter lunches and start putting in more overtime. 

59 minutes ago, generallyspeaking said:

Fragile egos and county politics would be the reason for that 

I agree, Lee has dodged this game since the scrimmage scare of 2017. Seems odd that county rival was off the schedule during a dark period.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Tonight (Friday night the 19th), a few scrimmages that are LISTED on NFHS.  I don't know about schedule changes, additions, fill in's, etc.  This is what NFHS says....

Gate City vs Va High

Christiansburg vs Giles

Chilhowie vs Tazewell  

Holston vs ?  Not sure who it is. Honaker, I think.

Marion vs Ft. Chiswell

Galax vs Hedgesville, WV (Hedgesville left for this trip 2 days ago, so they should make it right in time for kickoff barring traffic) kidding of course

Riverheads vs Greenbrier East (G.East isn't bad.  Finished 8-2 last year and was 8th seed in WV AAA playoffs and returns a ton of starters and seniors).  

Rural Retreat vs Castlewood

Twin Springs vs ?

Thomas Walker vs Lee.  Why is this a scrimmage game and the two teams not playing in regular season?  Borderline insanity to me imo.

Is Abingdon playing Glenvar & Blacksburg at Blacksburg today or tomorrow?

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

I agree, Lee has dodged this game since the scrimmage scare of 2017. Seems odd that county rival was off the schedule during a dark period.

Without any good reason either. All I had heard as to why they wouldn’t play each other is that someone on the school board didn’t want their baby boy getting hurt, but that could just be bs. It just caused both schools to miss out financially at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I would say for the same reason Northwood took Marion off the schedule a few years back and will most likely be off next season. Lee being a larger class 2 school and Thomas Walker being a smaller class 1 school does not really help either school to play each other. Lee should win 9 out of 10 years and Thomas Walker might walk away with enough injuries to screw the rest of the season. They have played 8 times and Lee has won all of them by an average score of 42-11. It really does not benefit either team to play in the regular season. 

Good point.  I didn't realize the size difference.  It's not just a Class 1 school playing a Class 2 school.  TW with the new numbers lists at 171 and Lee lists at 471.  That difference is actually massive.  Don't think of it by just 300 more kids.  Thinking of it in percentages.  It's like a school with 500 kids playing a school with 1250 or 1300 kids or a school with 800 kids playing a school with 2000 kids.  With that written, Lee has been pretty dang bad and TW has more competitive and the gap on the field at present is probably a lot closer than student population difference.  

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Predictions:

Does George Wythe score on Union tonight?

That’s a long haul from Wytheville. I don’t envy those boys on that bus ride. 

Imagine Hedgesville riding 5 hours down I-81 to Galax!!!

Tazewell went 3 and out on first series, Chilhowie has had the ball for about half of the first quarter, down to the Bulldog 20, 4th an d-1.  Warriors picking up 4, 5, 6 yards running the ball.  Dogs need to figure something out.  As I speak, 6 yard gain. 1st and 10 on the 14.  Dogs looking a little lethargic on defense.