Graham Vs Tazewell

bulldog05-CO2017

On 9/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Unions weakness is the secondary from what a saw last night. A team with an elite passing attack could do some damage if they don’t grow up quickly. 

That's the worrisome portion   run D great,  can rush passer, but secondary super young. 

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

That's the worrisome portion   run D great,  can rush passer, but secondary super young. 

Graham's strength on offense right now is the rushing game.  However, they do return a few good receivers from last season, including the one that put the dagger into Union late in the regular season game last year.  Chris Edwards is emerging as a good receiving threat as well.  Graham is far from having an elite passing game, but I would imagine it will come along as the season goes.  The QB has a good arm and the line affords him some time.  He does a good job, but he doesn't have the escape ability that last year's qb had.  Graham's QB scrambling and making something out of nothing last year kept Graham in that first Union game, if you ask me.  Should be interesting to see how this plays out.  

It will be hard to run on Graham, they have a very good D-Line and good speed at outside linebackers and DE.  They held Bluefield's Hairston to 18 yards.  Perhaps more impressive was shutting down E.C. Glass a couple of weeks ago (even though it was a scrimmage).  The defense is ahead of the offense for Graham, but the offense is catching up.  (I know they scored 38 on Tazewell, but that's how good I think their Defense is).  If they develop a consistent passing game, watch out.

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham's strength on offense right now is the rushing game.  However, they do return a few good receivers from last season, including the one that put the dagger into Union late in the regular season game last year.  Chris Edwards is emerging as a good receiving threat as well.  Graham is far from having an elite passing game, but I would imagine it will come along as the season goes.  The QB has a good arm and the line affords him some time.  He does a good job, but he doesn't have the escape ability that last year's qb had.  Graham's QB scrambling and making something out of nothing last year kept Graham in that first Union game, if you ask me.  Should be interesting to see how this plays out.  

It will be hard to run on Graham, they have a very good D-Line and good speed at outside linebackers and DE.  They held Bluefield's Hairston to 18 yards.  Perhaps more impressive was shutting down E.C. Glass a couple of weeks ago (even though it was a scrimmage).  The defense is ahead of the offense for Graham, but the offense is catching up.  (I know they scored 38 on Tazewell, but that's how good I think their Defense is).  If they develop a consistent passing game, watch out.

Union is also very very tough to run on, gonna be a fun game. Union has two of the best pass rushers around as well

8 hours ago, Gmen2021 said:

A little confused (gift wrapped)????? Tazewell had a total of 114 yards of offense. They were dominated . they executed maybe two plays all game. If Graham doesn't turn the ball over, somebody will need multiple D1 offensive players to give them trouble. They played with Glass and done well. Nobody in this region has that many athletes. 

Graham had 307 yards of total offense on the evening, 141 of which came in the first quarter.  After giving up 21 in the first 11 minutes, it was 17-8 for the final 37 minutes.  Calling that statistical record, and a game where your starters played midway through the 4th, a “domination” is downright bizarre.

Man, I’m a Graham alum, but some of you all treat ANY commentary that isn’t full on salivating praise as some sort of apostasy.  This is how fanbases become hated.

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham had 307 yards of total offense on the evening, 141 of which came in the first quarter.  After giving up 21 in the first 11 minutes, it was 17-8 for the final 37 minutes.  Calling that statistical record, and a game where your starters played midway through the 4th, a “domination” is downright bizarre.

Man, I’m a Graham alum, but some of you all treat ANY commentary that isn’t full on salivating praise as some sort of apostasy.  This is how fanbases become hated.

Dude Tazewell only got the 8 because the refs gave them 45 of the 60 yards it took them to score on the last drive. I certainly wouldn't be proud of that.

21 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

All I saw was score...but that pretty much looked like an ass kicking going by score 

It was. Outside of one play during Tazewell’s first offensive series, they were never a threat  to score until garbage time. Graham had started pulling starters on D when Tazewell scored the 8 points in the 4th. Graham also had 3 TD passes dropped in the end zone or it would have been a lot worse. I would consider anytime a team has running clock(no matter what stage of a game) a dominate performance.

47 minutes ago, Gfan said:

It was. Outside of one play during Tazewell’s first offensive series, they were never a threat  to score until garbage time. Graham had started pulling starters on D when Tazewell scored the 8 points in the 4th. Graham also had 3 TD passes dropped in the end zone or it would have been a lot worse. I would consider anytime a team has running clock(no matter what stage of a game) a dominate performance.

Yeah I agree 

Tazewell is the new Tazewell County team that you are not allowed to have negative opinions about on this board. 

"It was 17-8" in the second half and

Richlands-Union was only "14-0" in the second half. Richlands still got dominated and no one, big "R" pic or not would say otherwise.

Just now, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Tazewell is the new Tazewell County team that you are not allowed to have negative opinions about on this board. 

"It was 17-8" in the second half and

Richlands-Union was only "14-0" in the second half. Richlands still got dominated and no one, big "R" pic or not would say otherwise.

Exactly right

Even though Graham dominated the LOS, Tazewell had flashes in this game. Tazewell line is much better than last years. Tazewell appeared "star struck" in the first qtr and Graham did control the LOS, but Tazewell had moments where a defender would win the battle and crash the Graham Offensive play. I think Tazewell will play with Bluefield. Tazewell will matchup well with Bluefield because of their athletes in space that cover pretty good.  Tazewell also had some wide open WRs and drops also.

As for Richlands and Union, Richlands just didn't look that good to me. There wasn't any flashes of what could be like Tazewell had. I know Richlands has a history of beating the Dogs, but I just can't see how Richlands could beat Tazewell this year.  I don't think Tazewell goes less than 7-3, and no surprise to me if they are in the thick of it with Bluefield, in which a win could possibly have them at 8-2.

Last thing, Grahams QB is much better passing the ball than what he is made out to be. I get the vibe that many feel Graham can't pass the ball. That's not true, they can certainly pass it. Graham has played arguably the two best secondary's they will face on their 10 game schedule.  Expect the passing numbers to go up as the secondaries are not as fast and the junior QB improves. 

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Last thing, Grahams QB is much better passing the ball than what he is made out to be. I get the vibe that many feel Graham can't pass the ball. That's not true, they can certainly pass it. Graham has played arguably the two best secondary's they will face on their 10 game schedule.  Expect the passing numbers to go up as the secondaries are not as fast and the junior QB improves. 

Meadows is a senior but I agree 100% he is better than what many have given him credit for. Personally I think he has a better touch on the ball than Blevins did. Could Blevins throw the deep ball better? Yes. But he couldn't throw a 10 yard pass without knocking the receiver off his feet. Also, you have to look at the current receivers. Edwards is a sophomore, I'm pretty sure this is his first year at receiver. Watkins is Watkins. He did drop a pass he normally catches against Tazewell but we'll try not to give him too much grief about that. #6 didn't play Friday. This is his first year at Graham so it may take some time for him to get used to the offense. I think the passing game will improve as the year progresses.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Meadows is a senior but I agree 100% he is better than what many have given him credit for. Personally I think he has a better touch on the ball than Blevins did. Could Blevins throw the deep ball better? Yes. But he couldn't throw a 10 yard pass without knocking the receiver off his feet. Also, you have to look at the current receivers. Edwards is a sophomore, I'm pretty sure this is his first year at receiver. Watkins is Watkins. He did drop a pass he normally catches against Tazewell but we'll try not to give him too much grief about that. #6 didn't play Friday. This is his first year at Graham so it may take some time for him to get used to the offense. I think the passing game will improve as the year progresses.

Meadows's poise throwing the ball was honestly a surprise to me.  Hard to believe it was the same kid who couldn't complete a simple 5-yard out last season (or the season before).  If he continues working with his receivers and adds an effective passing game to Graham's repertoire, it'll be even harder to beat.