Week 6: Richlands @ Ridgeview

SwvaOG

8 minutes ago, Smnzmom said:

As in balls?  I’m pretty sure I did 16 years ago.  He’s walking around 😂😂

So glad you aren't like some the other parents that come on here just to bash people. Have to have a warped sense of humor at times on here. 

8 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

So glad you aren't like some the other parents that come on here just to bash people. Have to have a warped sense of humor at times on here. 

I honestly just created this profile to respond to my son being called a quitter.  I hope all the teams in our area succeed.  These boys are great.  I’m capable of laughing at my own expense without getting butt hurt. 

10 minutes ago, Smnzmom said:

I honestly just created this profile to respond to my son being called a quitter.  I hope all the teams in our area succeed.  These boys are great.  I’m capable of laughing at my own expense without getting butt hurt. 

Rumors always float around about things.  Sometimes they prove to be true however it is nice to know actual facts as they can be scarce at times.

Stick around here and have fun on the board.  As SwvaOG posted earlier, it can get quite entertaining  😁

13 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Posts and predictions indicate more than one issue in this mess. More important question is how to fix? As indicated earlier, it will take hard work and cooperation, plus an infusion of greater talent helps.

Consistency.  This team hasn’t had any at all.  There hasn’t been 2 games that you’ve had the same lineup.  This is a young team, they haven’t been given the opportunity to settle.  Hopefully the coaches pull it together bc there is amazing talent in that team it’s just not being utilized. 

1 hour ago, Smnzmom said:

I’m guessing it wasn’t a QB issue 🤔😂

Let's not get carried away here...they are several issues with the program and has been since 2016 and not having a QB that can throw the ball has been the main reason.ever QB since the Blues loss to Appo in Salem would not have started for any other team in southwest district.the QB pipeline in Richlands has ran dry.

20 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Let's not get carried away here...they are several issues with the program and has been since 2016 and not having a QB that can throw the ball has been the main reason.ever QB since the Blues loss to Appo in Salem would not have started for any other team in southwest district.the QB pipeline in Richlands has 

Richlands has now scored in back to back games. Also I believe they had 3 turnovers on three straight possessions last week, last I heard only 2 tonight. 

lots of issues but hopefully most parents are supportive of the program rather than airing dirty laundry. If the entitlement of the moms and pops of Richlands continues then the big R will not have another winning season for a decade. 

Like others have said give credit to Tarter for sticking with these kids when other coaches have bailed on them and he has caught much more flak for staying than the others have for abandoning the team. There are a lot of issues with the program but Tarter imo is not one of them. 

18 minutes ago, Smnzmom said:

Consistency.  This team hasn’t had any at all.  There hasn’t been 2 games that you’ve had the same lineup.  This is a young team, they haven’t been given the opportunity to settle.  Hopefully the coaches pull it together bc there is amazing talent in that team it’s just not being utilized. 

10 minutes ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Let's not get carried away here...they are several issues with the program and has been since 2016 and not having a QB that can throw the ball has been the main reason.ever QB since the Blues loss to Appo in Salem would not have started for any other team in southwest district.the QB pipeline in Richlands has ran dry.

I think it can be a little bit of both. I certainly don’t think Richlands is devoid of talent. I also think it needs put into proper perspective. I think if only competing against the local 1A teams, Richlands still rightfully wins most of it’s games.

On the flip side, I definitely do not see the unprecedented run of talent experienced from roughly 2004-2016 either. It’s unfair to expect the same results from both the kids and coaches. I think a cyclical expectation of good and bad years competing against 2A teams is more likely and reasonable. Unfortunately, the schedule has gotten tougher concurrently with the natural decline. If you have a stable, established culture with an area that consistently produces talent, it’s easier to reload than rebuild (I.e. Bluefield, Graham, Union, formerly Gate City and maybe in the future (Kingsport area). 

One such ingredient to the solution not mentioned, but alluded to is time. Even Coach Mances successes, although improvement evident, weren’t realized until a few bad years.

1 hour ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

I personally think the slow decline started with the departure of Snake in 2016. He is a mastermind of defense and part of the glue that held that program together. Richlands steadily started to go downhill even while Mance was still there. I think he knew talent level was not going to be like it had been.  It’s not to say there isn’t talent now but it’s not the same level as they enjoyed a few years back. I think Mance realized that. You know, get out while the getting is good mentality plus he likes to golf, lol. I give Tarter credit for stepping up after the disaster of Wells and staying for the boys. I hope the Blues can muster some wins this season. I think they’ll improve if parents can be supportive rather than sabotaging the team. It’s just going to take some time & patience. Outsiders perspective, others may disagree! 

I agree with yall, but I think the Continued decline comes from still having a pass first offensive culture when you don't have the athletes to have a pass first offensive culture. Many, not all, but many Richlands fans going into the season are Consumed with "who's the QB." When Richlands fans and the culture's first thought coming into the season is, "who's the RB and how does our OL look," then Richlands will be trending back in the right direction and out of decline IMO.

Tarter is a fantastic man and great leader and a pretty solid coach, but he is still part of, and came up under the spread-pass first offensive culture of Greg Mance which was awesome at that time because the Blues had the athletes to do it. They don't have those athletes anymore, but the pass first offensive culture is still overwhelmingly present, and it's Hurting them imo.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, SwvaOG said:

Well, if you're going to hang out here you need to understand a few things:

Union folk are never happy.

Giles is experiencing a civil war.

Tazewell somehow has become overrated.

Graham is Graham

Ridgeview will only go as far as their Dline will take them.

We can't figure out Gate City

Lee is on the upswing.

Eastside is on the downswing.

We're not sure about Burton.

The whole damn board dislikes Central.

We have our own internal drama, so you may not go directly to the front of the line.

Enjoy.

And to add to awesome list, it is Backyard Brawl Week, so be glad you’re in Lebanon now so you don’t have to read all the shit talking that’s about to pick up that thread as the week progresses. 😂 

On 10/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, tornado99 said:

Good points and agree with Gridiron60 and Bandana. I guess it’s a long-term multi-faceted problem that requires a long-term solution. That said, I think I will start a post addressing the “offensive culture” aspect. The specifics are very interesting to me.

Richlands will turn it around eventually everyone was saying Gate City would never be competitive again and now they’re looking alot better everyone has rough stretches.  Appalachia football went downhill in the 80s and dominated the 90s