Best Defenses of last 20 years

Gridiron60

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Cam Allen of the 2018 team was an elite defensive player and offensive for that matter. He had a great performance on defense against Minnesota with   4 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 pass break-up for Purdue on Saturday. 

He is just an all around athlete with an abundance of God given talent mixed with hard work, very coachable. 

It’s always awesome to hear good news on Cam! I played with him all through little league and middle school til he moved to Graham! Such an awesome, respectful person! Glad to hear he’s tearing it up. I always knew he’d go places. He always had the right mindset. 

The 97 PV team allowed less than 9 PPG and defeated two state champions (Appy D1, GC D3) and a D4 semi finalist (Lee). 

1998 allowed 11 PPG but won games by 30 PPG and scored the most points in PV history. Averaged 40 PPG 

36 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I attended that semifinal game in Wytheville. I remember it was bitter cold, and GC’s linemen didn’t wear sleeves. I can’t remember though if it was a missed extra point or field goal that made the difference. GW’s qb was Throckmorton and RB was Barcliff. Isaiah Spivey played well for GC.

It was a missed PAT by GC. A few interesting tidbits... The region received a heavy snow in the days leading up to the game. People in the Wytheville community pitched-in to remove the snow from the field and even brought in a helicopter from Bristol to help with the process. Grant Throckmorton and Robert Barcliff took very different life paths. After graduating from Tech, Throckmorton went on to dental school and is a third generation dentist in Wytheville.  Robert Barcliff along with several others were convicted of a string of armed robberies of drug dealers and was sentenced to prison. https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/pittsburgh/news/press-releases/virginia-man-gets-nearly-six-years-for-armed-robbery-of-drug-dealers

The 92 Appalachia defense was great also gave up 142 points in 14 games and 8 games of 1 TD or less and alot of those points were scored on reserves.  Only loss was to Gate City.  The 93 defense gave up more points but offense scored so much the reserves played most 2nd halves

And for the real old timers in 1965 and 1966 Appalachia in 20 games had 13 shutouts and allowed 66 total points little before my time though.  I'd assume that was the Edd Clark teams.  Julius and Thomas Jones uncle.

38 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yes, Barry was the DC at PV before moving on to GC. 

39 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Those PV guys would know, but I think his name was Barry Jones? He was a big, bald-headed guy with a red goatee.

I was always familiar with Barry Jones at PV but somehow missed that he went to GC. The great ones can replicate success with multiple teams.

15 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I was always familiar with Barry Jones at PV but somehow missed that he went to GC. The great ones can replicate success with multiple teams.

Barry had a lot of success as a DC, not as much at his HC stint at Volunteer or one of the similar Eastern TN schools. Didn’t end well there. One of the truly great DCs in SWVA lore, his players would have literally killed for him. He was gone before I got to HS, left in either 99 or 2000. His oldest son was a year ahead of me in school and was a good ball player. 

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

The 05 Richlands defense gave up 12 points in the regular season when the 1st string was on the field. Lebanon ended up with 14 points in garbage time in the final game of the season on the JV players. 
Gave up 92 points total the entire season for 6.5 ppg (5.5 ppg if you take out the 14 Lebanon scored) And 27 of those were Turner Ashby in the state title game. 

Tazewell was the first to put points up on that Defense. They kicked a FG and went up 3-0. Tazewell's side went crazy like Jesus had just come back then went on to lose 27-3. 😂

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

The 05 Richlands defense gave up 12 points in the regular season when the 1st string was on the field. Lebanon ended up with 14 points in garbage time in the final game of the season on the JV players. 
Gave up 92 points total the entire season for 6.5 ppg (5.5 ppg if you take out the 14 Lebanon scored) And 27 of those were Turner Ashby in the state title game. 

If you’re looking at the last 20 years, this is my choice.

Graham of 89, if going back far. Made USA Today and National News with 8 consecutive shutouts to start the season. Lost game 9 to Salem on the road in a game where Graham turned over 6 times and had not double, but triple the yardage of Salem.  One of the better if not best defense to come out of SWVA that gave up 65 points in 14 games for a team playing Div 3 ball instead of Div 2. Gate City of 1970 gave up 64 total points all season in 13 total games. 

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I have to say that's the best one I remember.  We were so thrilled that we put up the first points scored that year against the 1st string

12 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Within the 20 year window for SWVA: Gate City 2002 (6 shutouts, 5.77 ppg);  Richlands 2005 (6 shutouts, 6.57 ppg)

Outside the 20 year window for SWVA: Gate City 1970 (7 shutouts, 4.92 ppg); Graham 1989 (9 shutouts, 4.64 ppg)

Source: fourseasonsfootball.com 

Another team I would add for the outside of 20 year window was the 1982 Powell Valley State Champion team. 6 shutouts and 4.2 ppg

17 minutes ago, foosballer said:

Another team I would add for the outside of 20 year window was the 1982 Powell Valley State Champion team. 6 shutouts and 4.2 ppg

Agree. I never felt James Bolling got the credit he deserved. When he became HC, PV was a mid-tier program that had never won the district. After winning a state title, he handed the keys to the Cadillac to Phil Robbins the very next year.

44 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Agree. I never felt James Bolling got the credit he deserved. When he became HC, PV was a mid-tier program that had never won the district. After winning a state title, he handed the keys to the Cadillac to Phil Robbins the very next year.

He didn't. Great coach and great person!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

He didn't. Great coach and great person!

Greatest story I ever heard on Bolling was that he jumped off of a building to catch a smoker.  Broke his leg or ankle but that is some real dedication there 

1 hour ago, Duke2015 said:

Greatest story I ever heard on Bolling was that he jumped off of a building to catch a smoker.  Broke his leg or ankle but that is some real dedication there 

Outside the band room in those big bushes!

I can remember being outside during lunch, and hearing the sound of metal popping. Looked up and he was walking on the awning of the bus loading area, looking for people dipping and smoking. Haha

He was something else!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Outside the band room in those big bushes!

I can remember being outside during lunch, and hearing the sound of metal popping. Looked up and he was walking on the awning of the bus loading area, looking for people dipping and smoking. Haha

He was something else!

That’s dedication there 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:28 PM, tornado99 said:

Those PV guys would know, but I think his name was Barry Jones? He was a big, bald-headed guy with a red goatee. 

Best Defensive Coordinator around this area! Played for him in 1999 and 2000! Great coach, had a great love for the game, and would fire you up better than anyone!!

One of the best defenses I remember was 1997-1998 Powell Valley Defense! With talent like Julius Jones at Safety, Don Dorton and Keith Davis at MLB, Jason Johnson at OLB, along with Matt McCoy at the other OLB, Josh Warren and Matt Coughlin at DE, and a nasty group of defensive tackles in Shea Chapman, Brian Chandler, Luke Gilly, Cory Davis, Calvin Davis! CB if I remember correctly were Josh Rogers and Michael Prewitt and this team won back to back state titles and had a shut down defense!!!

On 10/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, #BBN said:

Best Defensive Coordinator around this area! Played for him in 1999 and 2000! Great coach, had a great love for the game, and would fire you up better than anyone!!

One of the best defenses I remember was 1997-1998 Powell Valley Defense! With talent like Julius Jones at Safety, Don Dorton and Keith Davis at MLB, Jason Johnson at OLB, along with Matt McCoy at the other OLB, Josh Warren and Matt Coughlin at DE, and a nasty group of defensive tackles in Shea Chapman, Brian Chandler, Luke Gilly, Cory Davis, Calvin Davis! CB if I remember correctly were Josh Rogers and Michael Prewitt and this team won back to back state titles and had a shut down defense!!!

Correct me if im wrong but between Dorton and Davis took turns winning State Defensive PotY.