Football Schedules for 2023

footballfan1

23 hours ago, CPF said:

Staunton is not making the trip to Hinton for the scrimmage this weekend. Bluefield will travel to Staunton to play on friday.

Thanks for that heads up  I will no longer be driving to Hinton then.  Wife and I were going to make it a day where we could watch Bluefield and Graham, spend some time in the town of Hinton (cool little town) and then Pipestem, then Pipestem Drive In and come back through Athens-Princeton (avoiding Peterstown on the way back doing it this way).  But now that Staunton backed out, I'm not going just to watch Graham's starters run 10 plays against GB East, and I give 2 craps about watching James Monroe.  To He** with it.  I'm staying home.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Thanks for that heads up  I will no longer be driving to Hinton then.  Wife and I were going to make it a day where we could watch Bluefield and Graham, spend some time in the town of Hinton (cool little town) and then Pipestem, then Pipestem Drive In and come back through Athens-Princeton (avoiding Peterstown on the way back doing it this way).  But now that Staunton backed out, I'm not going just to watch Graham's starters run 10 plays against GB East, and I give 2 craps about watching James Monroe.  To He** with it.  I'm staying home.

I think Staunton decided they weren't making the extra travel from Lewisburg to Hinton. I guess they worked something out with Bluefield.

46 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Good first round games in VA class 2 heavy weight department to start season August 25 weekend. 

Graham-Bluefield

Riverheads-Woodstock

Appo-Buckingham

King William-Draft

Poqouson-Southampton

Radford-Wytheville

Glenvar-Galax

Is the Riverheads-Woodstock really a heavy weight bout? Woodstock had a lot of seniors last year. 

40 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

Is the Riverheads-Woodstock really a heavy weight bout? Woodstock had a lot of seniors last year. 

The ones I consider  two of their top players, Forbes & Lopez are back. The game should be a good measuring stick if Central can make another run. 

43 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

It's all relative. Woodstock has been good for a few years, even before playing Graham for state title. I also was meaning Heavyweight as having at least 1 team in the contest that's been pretty good at the Class 2 level over the past few years. Just some pretty darn good games to open up.

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

The ones I consider  two of their top players, Forbes & Lopez are back. The game should be a good measuring stick if Central can make another run. 

Is Lopez the defensive kid for Central?  I know the RB Forbes had lots of tackles from his linebacker position on D, but they had another kid that just flew to the ball (if that's the same one) as Lopez and made a whole bunch of tackles.

4 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Is Lopez the defensive kid for Central?  I know the RB Forbes had lots of tackles from his linebacker position on D, but they had another kid that just flew to the ball (if that's the same one) as Lopez and made a whole bunch of tackles.

The same one, I believe his full name was Nathan Lopez. 

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thanks Gridiron60. Kids talented. When you gave his name, I looked at his Hudl Page. He's a talent. He'll get bigger/more offers than just Maine. He's got outside linebacker at the next level written all over him imo.

10 hours ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Wish they'd mix it up a little better but could be easier to do if some would strengthen the schedule a bit. Glad for it though,  enjoy watching the instant replays. 

It's not always as simple as "find the best game." It has to be 2 teams from within WCYB's coverage area playing against one another. So those big matchups of a Union/Graham, Narrows/Holston or Richlands/GC from back in the day wouldn't work. So that eliminates several good games by itself. And then the school has to actually agree to it. There are more than a half-dozen schools that will not let them come because they don't want to lose the gate money. They think it will actively hurt attendance. 

It's a super complicated process they go through, having seen it behind the scenes for many years. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It's not always as simple as "find the best game." It has to be 2 teams from within WCYB's coverage area playing against one another. So those big matchups of a Union/Graham, Narrows/Holston or Richlands/GC from back in the day wouldn't work. So that eliminates several good games by itself. And then the school has to actually agree to it. There are more than a half-dozen schools that will not let them come because they don't want to lose the gate money. They think it will actively hurt attendance. 

It's a super complicated process they go through, having seen it behind the scenes for many years. 

Kinda odd they’re worrying about losing money for it being televised since almost every school is on NFHS 

4 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Kinda odd they’re worrying about losing money for it being televised since almost every school is on NFHS 

Agree completely. Makes no sense to me. But I’m not an administrator lol.