2023 scrims/jams/bg's

VHSLhelper

44 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

For the peeps in the Bluefields, any word on the Beavers with their scrimmage against Lee or Staunton (whatever their name is now.) I got a sister up on 81 and her hubby (my brother in law) keeps up with Valley area football. He said he can't find anything either. I talked to 2 Bluefield guys today and they didn't know.

Hel%, did they scrimmage? If they did, how did Bluefield and Staunton look?

P.S bro in law told me Riverheads just took T.Ashby completely apart in their scrimmage. He also said what I've heard and read from other people. He said Stuart's Draft will be as good or better than Central this year and will give Riverheads all they want. Time will tell if that's true or not.

Maybe it was a phantom scrimmage 😂

15 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The QB.  In my opinion, he's the best HS QB in Virginia West of Radford, VA to the Kentucky border for the 2023 season.  ODU has offered and VT is interested as well as WF, JMU, NC State, ECU.  

Not saying this is incorrect, but he’s mainly being recruited as a defensive back. Most teams don’t see him as a QB at the next level 

19 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Radford vs Blacksburg Scrimmage

Radford obviously looked better than Blacksburg.  Take aways from watching this on NFHS from my opinion only.

Radford is not nearly as explosive athletically as last year. Radford is not as good up front as last year, and last year, they were pretty good up front, but what got them was issues up front againt Glenvar and Appomattox.  Radford is still and 8-2, 9-1 type team.  Glenvar will beat them.  Tough games will be Galax, GW, Giles, maybe Floyd, maybe V. High. They could still win all of those.  Finishing 9-1 last year, they absolutely don't look as talented across the board as last year in space, or up front.  One key piece- The QB.  In my opinion, he's the best HS QB in Virginia West of Radford, VA to the Kentucky border for the 2023 season.  ODU has offered and VT is interested as well as WF, JMU, NC State, ECU.  

Blacksburg- Blacksburg is better than last year.  Are they going to be "good"?  I don't think so, but they are a better football team in my opinion in a scrimmage against Radford than what they were in game 10 of the regular season last year.  They look better athletically and up front.  Blacksburgs last win in football came around October of 2019 and they have lost approximately 25 games in a row since then.  I think they get 1-2 wins this year and finish 1-9 or 2-8.  They are going to be bad, but "less bad" than they have been.

Only my opinions...

Blacksburg did not look very good.  They have a couple bright spots but they aren't going to be very good.  

I agree with your view of Radford.  Offense will need a RB to step up.  The offense will go as 7 goes.  Capable receivers but other than 18, not as good as Baylor and Prioleau.  LIke last year, there is a lack of depth.    I expect a couple freshmen to get extended playing time to improve the depth.   They are running a new defense so we'll see how well that works. 

On 8/12/2023 at 8:37 PM, swvafbrespect said:

Twin Valley Dressed 14 and had 3 out with two more pickups from the rumor mill. Played hard and has a dandy little fr QB. Loss both but looked like they gave good effort. Eastside was surprisingly solid after last year. PH was huge and best team there. Hurley played hard and had their moments. Castlewood has a good Qb and good wr. Northwood had a bigger roster than expected with an athletc qb and solid rb. 

PH looks to be stout this year. All roads seem to lead to Honaker @ PH in October for the Hogo 

3 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

PH looks to be stout this year. All roads seem to lead to Honaker @ PH in October for the Hogo 

That's exactly what I'm thinking.  Only my opinion and we'll see how it plays out, but I'm thinking Honaker and Patrick Henry are ahead of the rest, but......I haven't seen Rural Retreat, Holston, or Rye Cove and those 3 may have a say.  Too early to know for sure, but Region 1D looks to be some fun.  1C talks as if Grayson is the team to beat, but to early to tell on that one also.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

When it was Richlands it was clearly recruiting -- but when it's Graham is just the Tony Palmer effect. Can't you see the difference?!?!

All I know is that when Tony got his program right Mance ran off to the beach. He could've stayed and competed but he was fighting a losing battle and he knew it. 

11 minutes ago, CPF said:

All I know is that when Tony got his program right Mance ran off to the beach. He could've stayed and competed but he was fighting a losing battle and he knew it. 

Or maybe Mance is decades older and at a point in his life where he wan'ts to coach football and play golf every day, and there's no better place to do that than the Grand Strand. 

I can’t speak to this specifically, but with a similar formula for success (recruiting or otherwise), it can be argued the greater Bluefield area possesses much more local talent than Western Tazewell, Russell, Buchanan, or even southern McDowell County. 

Specific criticism aside, I think Mance and staff consistently exceeding talent expectations is just as impressive as Palmer and company maximizing the talent at his disposal. (See other thread). 

While thinking about it, it really impresses me how Vaught won titles at Lexington and Richlands despite controversy.

11 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Or maybe Mance is decades older and at a point in his life where he wan'ts to coach football and play golf every day, and there's no better place to do that than the Grand Strand. 

If that makes you feel better ok. But that's not how we see it up here on the eastern end of the county. And Mance is 7 years older than Palmer not decades.

5 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I can’t speak to this specifically, but with a similar formula for success (recruiting or otherwise), it can be argued the greater Bluefield area possesses much more local talent than Western Tazewell, Russell, Buchanan, or even southern McDowell County. 

Specific criticism aside, I think Mance and staff consistently exceeding talent expectations is just as impressive as Palmer and company maximizing the talent at his disposal. (See other thread). 

While thinking about it, it really impresses me how Vaught won titles at Lexington and Richlands despite controversy.

I agree totally. He had a great run.

16 minutes ago, CPF said:

I agree totally. He had a great run.

Tony Palmer is in the middle of a great run. Not the sole reason, but there is a common denominator that has greatly contributed to both or at least somewhat all 3 examples. I guess that can be a testament to his timeliness. I doubt assistant coaches are in the Hall of Fame, but if they are eligible he would be my nominee.

Edited by tornado99
Referring to D. Palmer as the assistant.